Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I can see why VW have stripped back the basic model to crack the £8k barrier (marketing tool) but does anybody think this variant is good value stripped of all real-world essentials (air-con, central locking, electric windows, split rear seats etc) that are standard on the Move Up?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I think it's a fine car. Getting back to basics feels nice and fresh. I almost chose this car, but I'm not very good at buying cars. I kept adding bits for a treat until I ended up with a high up... Lol
The take up certainly has it's place in my heart.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Ps, I believe it does have central locking, just not the remote. (I'm sure I read it on the forum)

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'm in the same camp as Rednaxela on this one!

I've had a few old beetles with all the luxury items of the day such as .........well..... a radio.....erm........
Windscreen wash powered by the spare tyre and ...........remote filler cap release via the glove box!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rednaxela said:
Ps, I believe it does have central locking, just not the remote. (I'm sure I read it on the forum)
Ah yes you're right. Should have said remote central locking. I guess I've become spoiled and putting a key in the door of a car seems alien now! I suppose there are those happy with the basics but I couldn't go back!

·
Registered
38 Posts
On the basis I drive about in a 1971 Triumph Spitfire mk3 with air conditioning provided by an open top, no central locking and definitely no electric windows etc. I buy my cars for the look and the fun of it. If it makes me smile when I drive it then I dont care if it has square wheels. I'm looking forward to having some new toys but could live without them as long as my UP! gets me from A to B

·
294 Posts
Square wheels might be a little bit of a challenge
. For me I think the Up was about downsizing without losing the kit you are used to. All the benefits of downsizing from a bigger car without feeling like you have.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My dealer informed me that my 'Take up' is now in the UK and on its way to their showroom :) I can collect it later this week.. or early next !!!

I already have a Tomtom satnav; my MP3 enabled HTC phone will plug straight into the standard Radio/CD offering and my spreadsheet can calculate my MPG. Winding a window down and using a car key are not exactly exhausting activities either.

I'm very careful with my cash.. and we are about to buy our 3rd house, a hilltop detached - 3 bed property in 1/3rd acre with views front / rear of over 30 miles across to the welsh hills and a view across the town to a 1000+ years old hilltop castle :) We'll then have 3 properties without any mortgage or loan in sight.. That's where I get pleasure from as well as driving a lovely little VW car for a keen price.

All folks are different, but I probably would not have bought the up! if it didn't have that attention grabbing sub £8k on the road price tag. My C2 is a great little car but the frugal up! just has to displace it now !

Best wishes

Dave

·
Registered
30 Posts
Stainless so your from Aylesbury well I am from chesham did you get it from way sides. I got mine Saturday who did u deal with. Make sure you get £15 of fuel cause I didn't. Enjoy your up it's fab!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I got the take up because I was looking at second hand cars round about the £7.5k mark and decided I'd rather have a new one if it was only another £500. I couldn't warrant spending any more (though I did opt for the comfort pack) as the mileage I do and the use it will get isn't worth having all the bells and whistles. We have a Golf Match, which does have all the bits including aircon and cruise control but OH hardly ever uses them. I'm sort of wishing I had gone for Maps & More - not because I want the sat nav (I like my TomTom and prefer maps anyway) but I would like to know how much fuel I have left/how many miles left in the tank etc. Will just have to work it out!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I find wind up windows easier to use rather than searching for a button then over pressing and ending up with the window going up and down!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Claudia said:
Stainless so your from Aylesbury well I am from chesham did you get it from way sides. I got mine Saturday who did u deal with. Make sure you get £15 of fuel cause I didn't. Enjoy your up it's fab!!

Hi Claudia

My Dealer is Jardine Motors ( Aylesbury Volkswagen ) in the centre of Aylesbury... Found them excellent so far. Got the 3 years servicing thrown in on the 'Take Up!' for the money and I'm really pleased with the deal. Thanks for the reminder re: fuel. I'll tell Richard ( my contact ) that others are getting a full tank !! So I need one too ;)

Madwitch -- Our Honda Jazz tells us how much fuel, and the miles left.. However we've noticed that the estimate falls off faster than the miles covered even when we drive at a constant style !! So we can not rely on its estimates. Interpreting the fuel gauge is just as good.

How did we ever survive back in the 50s/60s/70s/80s/90s etc before these new fangled devices arrived ??

Quite well actually ! Which is why the basic car makes great sense for me without all the toys ;)

Best wishes

Dave

·
Registered
553 Posts
As a biker since the age of 12 guesstimateing the fuel range has always provided an amusing trip enhancement!

Except I cant see anyone shaking their UP! and having a guess at when they might run out !

·
Registered
553 Posts
Just to give a better indication of when I started biking the examiner gave you a route to take telling you he would jump out at some point for your emergency stop! you could ride 250cc's on L plates and driving was fun!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts