Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in line with many other complaints about their transmissions/gearbox/clutch issues mine this evening became intolerable. It's almost since like since the last time I drove it the noise has doubled (same conditions, slightly cold and wet which I understand might be a factor).

Sitting in neutral the car sounds like someone is rattling a (large) bottle inside the engine bay. Depress the clutch and the sound goes but I both hear and feel a small click. Release the clutch and the rattling sound comes back, sometimes louder, sometimes quieter. Again, it has always rattled to a degree, but tonight it sounded much much worse.

Changing gears whilst on the move is no better - clicking/clunking sound in gears 1 - 3 and a slight click on the clutch itself.

Really annoyed as I love this car but I can't keep it without it being seen to. I've recorded the sounds and will
Hopefully upload to youtube a link here for your listening pleasure. Hopefully others will hear it and recognise it too.

Just want some advice as to how to deal with the dealer. No doubt he will fob me off but honestly, even a complete novice to cars couldn't fail to recognise how loud and awful sounding the car is at idle.

I'm going to demand they show me other ups of varying ages and listen to them at idle and changing gears to compare to mine.

Not happy! Will let you know how I get on.

Edited by: Fidel_Castronaut

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Edit: I'll post the video so others can tell me if I'm going mad and whether they think its normal (or sounds familiar to their own car!)Edited by: Fidel_Castronaut

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here it is. Interested to hear what others think and whether it sounds similar to theirs?

http://youtu.be/tgtqXkenwbQEdited by: Fidel_Castronaut

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey buddy,
You're not hearing things.
Something is definitely wrong. Sounds like a 30 yr old diesel. Possibly the alternator pulley or the air filter not seated properly?
But you are right to get VAG to look at it. And if someone says it' s a characteristic, count to ten out loud.
Good luck.Edited by: Timii

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers man. Have some holiday to take so I'm going in tomorrow morning demanding something be done.

I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's definitely not right. Difficult to see how anyone could argue otherwise. Mine doesn't sound anything like that.

Good luck with getting it sorted!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Wow, sounds like a bag of spanners....defo not right...accept no excuses!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They serviced this (supposedly) when they sold it to me only , what, 1 and a half months ago! Since then I've done probably 100 miles in it (if that!). And it had only done 5k to begin with.

I'm extremely suspect of what they actually did and what they've actually sold me here if I'm honest. Again, I'll update later today. Going to call up this morning and drive it in (if it gets there) later today at lunch.Edited by: Fidel_Castronaut

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I was so alarmed at the noise yours made, I've made a quick phone video of mine to show how quiet they should be...this was serviced 1500 miles ago and has now done 41500 ish miles

Quiet but Dirty Up!

Good luck at the dealer mate!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Privatedoc said:
I was so alarmed at the noise yours made, I've made a quick phone video of mine to show how quiet they should be...this was serviced 1500 miles ago and has now done 41500 ish miles

Quiet but Dirty Up!

Good luck at the dealer mate!

Awesome, cheers doc. That's good evidence for me when at the dealership.

Anyway,it's not good news so far. Called up the dealer and advised them of what it sounds like. Told I can bring it in but they won't have any courtesy cars for 2 weeks!!!
I asked her bluntly whether I was to take it that should I bring the car in and it was faulty which is no way because of me (which it can't be imho) I would have to travel home by myself from a dealership that is many miles away from where I live. Her simply reply was 'yes'.

Well say what you want about Alfa but when my Mito was in their dealership and they didn't have any cars available they went out and hired me one.

Argh.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Firstly phone back and speak to the dealer principal, if no joy, ask for the contact number of the regional VW manager at VW UK....if no joy....Phone VW UK themselves .......this is shocking treatment

name and shame the dealer here!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will be making some calls when I leave work (have had to take holiday to get this sorted).

I don't mind shaming the dealership if they don't resolve it. However I could have just been speaking to someone who didn't know their arse from their elbow.

I don't want to go in all guns blazing just yet, but my patience is wearing thin.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
keep us posted mate

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sounds pretty much like the Clutch Release Bearing being worn/broken.

Had that same sound on my Nissan Patrol until i got it fixed.

@ PrivateDoc

I freaking love your accent!Edited by: Blackpuppy

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
thanks!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just sitting in the dealers now waiting for the tech to come and have a look.

As luck would bloody have it the sound appears to have diminished now, at least at the moment. Perhaps it's only really loud when the engine is cold?

Lucky I took the recording of it when I did eh?

·
Registered
523 Posts
If it happens again and you have vw assist call them out to it. They will put you in a courtesy car if they can't fix it.

I know the dealer who you are using, I got my car from there - it's now looked after by bham vw now. You should see one of my first experiences of them, will dig the post out for you.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts