Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It may be a funny thing to ask, but I have never had to remove a car wheel before. (have been driving for 23 years too...)

I am keen to clean and wax my alloys properly this year and would like to take them off one at a time to work on.
I am really nervous about jacking the car up to do this justin case I damage the sills/paint etc. Am I worrying about nothing?? i.e. is the body more robust than I think?

How do you go about jacking in the right place? I looked under the car and can't see anything that jumps out at me to say "stick it here for this wheel etc.."

Also, is it safe to hold the car up on the included "little"jack for several hours at a time?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Alex.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Not got mine yet but, i imagine there are clear pictures showing correct places to jack car.
always try and jack on a flat solid surface if doing maintanace, i always place a thin rag between jack whether trolley jack or scissor jack and body work will minamise chance of scratches. always use axle stands or similar underneath i nearly died 20 years ago when jack failed with me underneath my campervan. :(

·
Registered
523 Posts
I used a rubber hockey puck which I modded to use with my trolley jack. I would also use axel stands I you plan to keep the car up in the air. The jack that comes with the car is only good for road side emergancies.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
I would also advocate axel stands...cheap and cheerful from machine mart and safe...remember the up is light but falling on a hub/disc/suspension component will be pricey

the jack is ok for lifting onto an axel stand but a trolley jack soon pays its way and nowadays a reasonable one is pretty cheap (don't try and work under the car on ANY kind of jack...stands are a must)...I've personally seen what a car falling onto a punter can do....needless to say it was a bit messy and involved a lot of red liquidy stuff!

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
I got a good deal on axel stands and trolly jack for about £35 all in from machine mart)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I noticed on mine there are jack points notified by a small triangle. On my Golf I did what you are talking about, I jacked up with the small jack and put my spare wheel under the sill so if it dropped off the jack for what ever reason it would land on the spare wheel, I don't know if this is correct procedure but it's what I was brought up with! When I go out (in about 10 mins) I will get a pic of the jack point and upload later so you no what to look out for!

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
prob with using the wheel is human chests are generally deeper than wheels....unless you have a lambo with bonkers tyres !

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Haha I agree! If I was working under the car then defo axle stands but takin a wheel off and working on it I doubt your going to be under it and if done on a flat surface I can't see the car falling off! But I do agree safety first and ob axle stands are a far better way!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
O its not a triangle its a dint, I can't get a good pic because my cars sprayed wi mud atm but from closer look the sill kinda doubles and steps down thats the jack point

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your advice. I shall have a closer look at the sill. I assume axle stands are positioned right next to the jack?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I dont no where axle stands go, I'd have to get my mate to show me

·
Registered
432 Posts
I usually put the axle stand under the suspension wishbone (not under load... it's just there as a precaution), and leave the car supported by the trolley jack.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
move up! said:
I usually put the axle stand under the suspension wishbone (not under load... it's just there as a precaution), and leave the car supported by the trolley jack.

Ditto.....the stands give the added protection, If I'm working on brakes or similar, I usually put the stands eithe side on the sills at the jacking point with a custom made wooden protection pad.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
never more than an hour or so...lets you properly clean wheels, sort brakes etc etc....not sure why anyone would need longer than that

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
shakotanVIP said:
I don't quite understand why you'd need to leave your new car on a jack [or indeed axlestand] for hours at a time?
A proper clean/seal/detail of the wheels would require them off the car. No one likes their precious wheels to be eaten by brake dust.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
I see it has been edited but Shakotanvip s post did say WEEKS at a time!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Where there,s a wheel there,s a way

I,ll get my coat.

Go well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts