Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of range are you getting from a full tank?

My Golf has averaged 35mpg over the past few thousand miles and I’m getting at most 350 miles per tank of fuel.

What are you getting from your Up’s in comparison?

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I get about 48, but that's because most of my journeys are only 2-3 mile return trips to shops, featuring steep hills and stop-start owing narrow lanes, enroute. When I go a bit further afield, i.e. actually getting to 5th gear, I get the average up to mid-50s. I don't make much of an attempt to be economical, as I like to keep up with traffic and hate being tailgated!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get about 48, but that's because most of my journeys are only 2-3 mile return trips to shops, featuring steep hills and stop-start owing narrow lanes, enroute. When I go a bit further afield, i.e. actually getting to 5th gear, I get the average up to mid-50s. I don't make much of an attempt to be economical, as I like to keep up with traffic and hate being tailgated!
Interesting, if I'm just nipping around town I tend to be in the upper 20s to the lower 30s unless I'm driving very casually which sometimes gets me into the mid to upper 30s.

What would you say you get on a full tank and what's it costing you to fill currently?

·
Registered
666 Posts
I never use a full tank. I always fill up when the level has dropped to between a quarter and a half.

It usually takes 5 gallons to fill the tank after doing 250 miles, so i get 50 MPG. Mostly short trips to the supermarket in stop start traffic. I did once get 75 MPG according to the cars computer on a 50 mile trip to Blackpool at a steady 55MPH.

I filled up yesterday which was a big shock to my wallet. £8-00 a gallon. Thankfully i will not need to fill up again for another 3 months by which time it will probably be £10-00 a gallon. I think i will ask the fuel station if i can go on a payment plan or HP and pay off in instalments.

Yes i still work in Gallons. £1-80 a ltr sounds bad enough but after working out the true cost of £8-00 a gallon i needed to sit down from the shock. I remember the days in the 60s and 70s when i would drive into the garage and say to the attendant....."a pounds worth please" For that pound i got 4 gallons. The attendant put the fuel in the car for me. Checked the oil and water and cleaned the screen. Those were the days.

·
Registered
245 Posts
What sort of Golf? - my old Mk4 GTtdi used to get 55 -60 but the 1.6 petrols weren't good, 47mpg short runs "High" - 55mpg GTi longer runs

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never use a full tank. I always fill up when the level has dropped to between a quarter and a half.

It usually takes 5 gallons to fill the tank after doing 250 miles, so i get 50 MPG. Mostly short trips to the supermarket in stop start traffic. I did once get 75 MPG according to the cars computer on a 50 mile trip to Blackpool at a steady 55MPH.

I filled up yesterday which was a big shock to my wallet. £8-00 a gallon. Thankfully i will not need to fill up again for another 3 months by which time it will probably be £10-00 a gallon. I think i will ask the fuel station if i can go on a payment plan or HP and pay off in instalments.

Yes i still work in Gallons. £1-80 a ltr sounds bad enough but after working out the true cost of £8-00 a gallon i needed to sit down from the shock. I remember the days in the 60s and 70s when i would drive into the garage and say to the attendant....."a pounds worth please" For that pound i got 4 gallons. The attendant put the fuel in the car for me. Checked the oil and water and cleaned the screen. Those were the days.
What would you reckon you’d get in terms of total mileage for the tank? The whole gallons conversion is messing with my brain at this somewhat early hour.

·
Registered
Up gti
178 Posts
Up GTi (Apr), on way home from work without cruise control I got a reading of 62mpg over 40 miles from the car, yes it may not be right but it's what the car said. I'm sure if I had cruise control it would maybe be better than myself, or would it? Now for a 140bhp car that keeps up with polo GTi etc I think that's great, plus most who have the higher models can't afford to fuel or buy them outright, in my opinion it's all show these days, no go ;0

·
Registered
74 Posts
Re cruise control. If you cruising mway at say 65 mph it will do a good job, especially if flat. Get to a hill and it will speed up car to maintain the speed, where practically you may have eased off a bit especially nearing the top.thats my experience. Since changing to CitiGo I do not have cc, I used it to my advantage, will miss it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Up GTi (Apr), on way home from work without cruise control I got a reading of 62mpg over 40 miles from the car, yes it may not be right but it's what the car said. I'm sure if I had cruise control it would maybe be better than myself, or would it? Now for a 140bhp car that keeps up with polo GTi etc I think that's great, plus most who have the higher models can't afford to fuel or buy them outright, in my opinion it's all show these days, no go ;0
Wow that's not bad going at all! I managed about 39.7mpg from my Golf heading home from Keswick last weekend which I didn't think was too bad at the time.

·
Registered
2021 GTI
117 Posts
I refill mine when the warning light comes on at indicated 1/8 tank, takes about 32L/7.0Gal, does about 330miles per tank. MFD shows average of 49mpg although I think it's closer 47 true. mostly SUL over 4000miles

edited. typed quickly from memory and subsequently amended for complete accuracy

·
Registered
402 Posts
I fill mine so infrequently that the receipts become too faded to read!
Oh how I wish this was the case!

My son averages 340 miles a week travelling to an from college and the gym, costing us £200 a month! He finishes college in two weeks and after that he's paying for his own fuel!

These fuel prices are getting a bit f*cking ridiculous now. We are spending £400 on fuel and £160 on electricity each month.

The government is going to have to reduce VAT on fuel for 12 months to ease the pain and slow inflation down. Last time I checked, fuel duty and VAT accounted for over 50% of cost of retail price. So Government VAT income from fuel must have grown massively.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Percy247 - been there, big-mileage-wise, and glad I retired early and did a lot of traveling over the following years.

It was easier a few years back, and I feel sorry for the folk who have no choice but run up big mileages, especially the ones that bothered to buy smaller and more economical cars instead of SUVs - but we do have to keep the wealthy establishment properly stocked up with their champagne and caviar!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sixty five quid to fill up yesterday from 1/4 tank, almost doubled since I first filled up at thirty five. Driving reasonably cautiously these days, around 50 mpg but increases dramatically when I stick to 60-65mph. The readout was 64mpg on my last trip up north sticking to the lower speeds.

Going slightly off topic, she went in for the 40k service yesterday, I got charged for four spark plugs and my spare tyre which I do not have only has 3mm of tread left and is pumped up to 2Bar..... This is VW franchised servicing. :censored:

·
Registered
666 Posts
What would you reckon you’d get in terms of total mileage for the tank? The whole gallons conversion is messing with my brain at this somewhat early hour.

The cars tank holds around 7.5 gallons. If you use 7 galls leaving some fuel in the tank so as not to run dry and you get 50 MPG, you would do 350 miles. If you get 60 MPG you would travel approx. 420 miles.

·
Registered
402 Posts
We "only" do 2600 miles a month, split between 3 fuel efficient cars. This costs about 15 pence per mile at today's fuel prices.

Pre Covid this was a lot higher. Some people must be in a lot of pain if they are still commuting large distances and/or own large thirsty SUV's.

Anyway, you have as always got to look for the positives. I am sat out in the front garden enjoying the sun and there are NO sports cars and bikes speeding past like there usually would have been! It's seems that fuel prices have reduced the popularity of the "tour de Nidderdale"!

Instead we get more people driving everywhere at 40mph (in a 60) trying to hypermile, including bizarrely a bloke in his focus RS!

·
Registered
666 Posts
I still see clown drivers racing off from the lights as if they are at Santa Pod, only to get stuck in traffic a few yards down the road. Then they moan about the price of fuel.

Nice gentle driving is the trick, smooth and relaxed, however the best way to save even more money is to get the bus if you have a bus pass. Then again the whole world will soon be on strike, so we can all stay at home huddled in front of the fire as we burn the last ,log and eat cold beans from the tin as we cant afford the electric to heat them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts