Up Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of range are you getting from a full tank?

My Golf has averaged 35mpg over the past few thousand miles and I’m getting at most 350 miles per tank of fuel.

What are you getting from your Up’s in comparison?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get about 48, but that's because most of my journeys are only 2-3 mile return trips to shops, featuring steep hills and stop-start owing narrow lanes, enroute. When I go a bit further afield, i.e. actually getting to 5th gear, I get the average up to mid-50s. I don't make much of an attempt to be economical, as I like to keep up with traffic and hate being tailgated!
Interesting, if I'm just nipping around town I tend to be in the upper 20s to the lower 30s unless I'm driving very casually which sometimes gets me into the mid to upper 30s.

What would you say you get on a full tank and what's it costing you to fill currently?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never use a full tank. I always fill up when the level has dropped to between a quarter and a half.

It usually takes 5 gallons to fill the tank after doing 250 miles, so i get 50 MPG. Mostly short trips to the supermarket in stop start traffic. I did once get 75 MPG according to the cars computer on a 50 mile trip to Blackpool at a steady 55MPH.

I filled up yesterday which was a big shock to my wallet. £8-00 a gallon. Thankfully i will not need to fill up again for another 3 months by which time it will probably be £10-00 a gallon. I think i will ask the fuel station if i can go on a payment plan or HP and pay off in instalments.

Yes i still work in Gallons. £1-80 a ltr sounds bad enough but after working out the true cost of £8-00 a gallon i needed to sit down from the shock. I remember the days in the 60s and 70s when i would drive into the garage and say to the attendant....."a pounds worth please" For that pound i got 4 gallons. The attendant put the fuel in the car for me. Checked the oil and water and cleaned the screen. Those were the days.
What would you reckon you’d get in terms of total mileage for the tank? The whole gallons conversion is messing with my brain at this somewhat early hour.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Up GTi (Apr), on way home from work without cruise control I got a reading of 62mpg over 40 miles from the car, yes it may not be right but it's what the car said. I'm sure if I had cruise control it would maybe be better than myself, or would it? Now for a 140bhp car that keeps up with polo GTi etc I think that's great, plus most who have the higher models can't afford to fuel or buy them outright, in my opinion it's all show these days, no go ;0
Wow that's not bad going at all! I managed about 39.7mpg from my Golf heading home from Keswick last weekend which I didn't think was too bad at the time.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have just made a similar decision myself. Not solely fuel based, I think the UP GTI will actually be more fun to drive.
Yeah honestly on the test drive I had great fun at very sensible speeds.

I think with just a few small tweaks it’ll be 100% more fun to drive than the Golf. Coilovers and a stage 1 will be more than plenty.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have the usual suspect in engine bay, Apr remap and eibach streets, transforms the car trust me. I drove a golf GTi bla bla bla 290bhp, it was fast yes but in all honesty my up was more fun. I could afford the golf, I'm a psyche nurse so ok job wise etc, I don't want the golf as it offered me sweet fa more but debt and a higher fuel bill :0
Yeah this all really resonates with me tbh. I’m a bit of a tinkerer as well so I like to modify (or bastardise as my dad seems to think) but the list of mods you’ve listed there are what I’m going for although I my go Racingline OEM+

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Very nice, so far in mine the max I've got is 59.9mpg but that's been a mix of having fun and taking it easy over relatively short distances. Even still, much more economical than the Golf that I just stepped out of. So far the trip counter is reading about 130 miles and the need on the fuel gauge hasn't even started to drop yet. In the Golf 67 miles would pass and that needle would drop very rapidly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts