Up Owners Club banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
T-D - I never said I kept my tank low! I implied that some people could do to save weight and thus fuel.... Those people are probably hyper-milers, but that is just pointless for me. It's like making your engine work harder just to heat up your underwear, when there are perfectly good heated seats...

With a Citigo/Up, the mpg is good enough, and with my annual mileage, even £5* a litre is do-able. Fuel has always been far too cheap - witnessed by the idiots hammering about in massive vehicles and endless gridlock. Since I'm a life-long member of the "pedal to the metal" set, it's probably just as well my wife will no longer indulge me with another 'proper car'.... At least until there is a decently-priced BEV (unlikely), or fuel cell, or synth fuel alternative to my nice 75ps car....

*coming soon?

Yes i understand. I was only joking about you running out of fuel. Heated seats? If only they were. I needed them the other day when it was 40 degrees lol.

I also do not care about the price of fuel. I fill up and it lasts me for 3 months. Its amazing the MPG the car gets when it is not driven.

I do quite fancy an electric car if and when they come down in price. At the moment it would be either the Honda E or the Mini E.

What about the price of Milk. It has gone from 50p a pint to 70p. Everything has gone up. I now spend £40 in the supermarket each week instead of £30 for the same amount of food.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Gotcha!

Milk has always been too cheap as well, at least for many years. How much can anyone consume in a week?

Don't get me started.... Gas, electricity and water were too cheap too, although sudden big rises are unpalatable and for many, sadly, undealable with. On the other hand, look at the profligate waste. People running heating 24/7 when a 100w electric blanket on a timer will do fine. Shops so cold in the chilled sections that you need a jumper, while pumping hot or cold air out through the entrance doors. Etc etc...

I'm one of those guys who shouts at the TV when there is a kitchen scene where someone is nattering for ages with the fridge door left open. No idea! They must've be been born only yesterday, and into a world of extravagant luxury and waste!

Reactions: TEST DRIVER

·
Registered
324 Posts
As a child of the 70s, we're heading back to a world of wincyette pajamas and hot water bottles I think. We didn't get central heating until the mid-80s so it was plenty of blankets and a dash upstairs as soon as the fire was banked up. Clothes wash once a week, bath twice a week, basin wash the rest of the time. Wear more clothes is surprisingly effective at saving fuel

·
Registered
709 Posts
Yes i remember it well. Warming your clothes in front of the fire before putting them on.

I am not a lover of milk and only use one pint a week. As for heating in the winter, i only have the heat on for around six hours during the day and never at night. I have on a t shirt and two thick jumpers to keep warm.

We must all tighten our belts, but i am now on the last notch on my belt so cant tighten it any more. Things are so desperate i am on two minds if i should cancel my order for a new Bentley GT and just make do with a new Jaguar XE.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,

new member, and picking up my second hand 18 plate white GTi tomorrow. On the subject of MPG, I previously ran a Skoda Citigo Monte Carlo (60hp) between 2015-2018. As I often drive between Edinburgh and London, I would often set myself a “Top Gear” style challenge. The first was 600 miles on a tank. This was completed in Sept 2016 with 602 miles driven and 35.0 litres giving 78.19 mpg but leaving the reserve intact!

Next was trying for 700 miles, falling short by 2 miles in Aug 2018. 698 miles driven and 38.0 litres used giving 83.5 mpg.

One final push before returning the Citigo in Oct 2018 saw 748 miles driven and 38.8 litres used giving my best mpg figure of 87.64.

I shall update in the future after my first long Up GTi run.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Long runs? The longest run i do in my UP GTI is Manchester to Blackpool return. 100 mile round trip. Anything longer i get the train.

I did get a MPG readout on the MFD of 75 MPG on one of the Blackpool trips. This was a nice steady drive with the cruise control set at 55 MPH.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Long runs? The longest run i do in my UP GTI is Manchester to Blackpool return. 100 mile round trip. Anything longer i get the train.
Woha! I just did 1400 miles in 4 days in my GTI. I agree with you when it comes to using the train. It's so pleasant and comfortable.

Hi all,

new member, and picking up my second hand 18 plate white GTi tomorrow. On the subject of MPG, I previously ran a Skoda Citigo Monte Carlo (60hp) between 2015-2018. As I often drive between Edinburgh and London, I would often set myself a “Top Gear” style challenge. The first was 600 miles on a tank. This was completed in Sept 2016 with 602 miles driven and 35.0 litres giving 78.19 mpg but leaving the reserve intact!

Next was trying for 700 miles, falling short by 2 miles in Aug 2018. 698 miles driven and 38.0 litres used giving 83.5 mpg.

One final push before returning the Citigo in Oct 2018 saw 748 miles driven and 38.8 litres used giving my best mpg figure of 87.64.

I shall update in the future after my first long Up GTi run.
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the list! Like a true pilot you're checking to see what is possible and to optimize fuel burn/consumption. Where you running regular or 98/100 Oktane to reduce consumption? Or was it 100LL Avgas (like I did on my decat 5 cyl Coupe GT in the 90's)? :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Woha! I just did 1400 miles in 4 days in my GTI. I agree with you when it comes to using the train. It's so pleasant and comfortable.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the list! Like a true pilot you're checking to see what is possible and to optimize fuel burn/consumption. Where you running regular or 98/100 Oktane to reduce consumption? Or was it 100LL Avgas (like I did on my decat 5 cyl Coupe GT in the 90's)? :)
regular unleaded. The Citigo was such a great all round small car that I am replacing my 2011 Golf GTD with the Up GTi.

On a side note, my best run in the GTD over the last 4 years was 72.3 mpg over 564 miles earlier this month. It’s a 2.0 Litre DSG with 131,000 miles!

·
Registered
399 Posts
The best I've achieved in my UP gti was 32mpg on my once weekly Carlisle to Whitehaven commute.
It was a difficult ask, but I think I overtook everything that day and did the main section in 51 mins. I found my smiles were very high and if I'd wanted to save fuel, I would have bought an Aygo.

:) :) :)

Did the same trip once in 37 mins in my 911 at 18mpg. Christmas Eve, with no traffic and if you know that road, 37 mins is an F1 quali time...

·
Registered
Up gti
186 Posts
The best I've achieved in my UP gti was 32mpg on my once weekly Carlisle to Whitehaven commute.
It was a difficult ask, but I think I overtook everything that day and did the main section in 51 mins. I found my smiles were very high and if I'd wanted to save fuel, I would have bought an Aygo.

:) :) :)

Did the same trip once in 37 mins in my 911 at 18mpg. Christmas Eve, with no traffic and if you know that road, 37 mins is an F1 quali time...
Tbf impressed with 18mpg from a 911, clearly not going hard enough

·
Registered
764 Posts
Tbf impressed with 18mpg from a 911, clearly not going hard enough
I use to manage a consistent 17mpg while lapping the Nurburgring in a 1.9 Tdi pd Ibiza but that increased to 55+ mpg on the road with the only exception being the autobahn where it would regularly return to 17 mpg.
My mates Mazda mps was doing 8 mpg at the same speeds lol .

·
Registered
82 Posts
regular unleaded. The Citigo was such a great all round small car that I am replacing my 2011 Golf GTD with the Up GTi.

On a side note, my best run in the GTD over the last 4 years was 72.3 mpg over 564 miles earlier this month. It’s a 2.0 Litre DSG with 131,000 miles!
You could still get a few more miles out of it with higher octane fuel (reduces ignition retardation) and a super light oil (reduces internal resistance) next to a vertical single wiper conversion, removal of the passenger door mirror/floor mats and tires inflated to 50 psi.

Just kidding :)
... or am I?

41 - 52 of 52 Posts