Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my first refuel after collecting the car over the weekend, I managed to get 38.6 litres in!! (I was even checking under the car and in the boot to make sure it was not leaking out anywhere!).The range meter had clicked down to 10 miles and then zero miles as I pulled in to my local petrol station.
The pump initially clicked off at 34.6 litres so I was impressed with the on-board computer accuracy. But then I just aded more to see how much I could get in.
Any body else noticed the same? is it really a 40 litre tank?
Really impressed so far. Refined and comfortable for such a small car. Some minor irritations but that will wait for another thread/post!

·
Registered
811 Posts
I once put 36 litres in, so I wonder the same thing.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It is nominally a 35 litre tank. Just imagine if all you could get in was exactly the 35 litres when the tank was completely empty. You then put your filler cap on and go and park your car on a Midsummers day in the sun.

The effect of the expanding fuel (unless it's vented, in which case it would leak out)would be something you'd want to watch from a considerable distance I think.

So, the tank will be 35 litres and the remaining airspace at the top of the tank is the ullage. It is this space and the fuel filler hose that you will also be filling if you top the car to it's maximum.

Allybasher, if you've ever poured a litre of, say, water into a measuring jug, that litre takes up quite a smallspace. Hence your ability to get this amount in.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I to have got 36 litres in to the top of the filler neck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Careful, i've seen 1 or 2 people at the pumps over the years trying to get the last drop of petrol in their tanks... eventually it will spray out all over you!

·
Registered
583 Posts
AGE1950 said:
I to have got 36 litres in to the top of the filler neck.
You really shouldn't fill it up that high.
You're filling up the tank's evaporation / expansion system - which can lead to the tank overflowing and spilling fuel.

Nowhere have I seen as many fuel spills (mostly the more persistent diesel spills) as in the UK ...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not a problem if you have another 50 miles or so to go.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Mine currently says zero miles range. I will fill it up tomorrow and see what I can get in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts