Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if tar spots cause damage to the paintwork?

I've got lots, but wanted to wait until wax time to remove them as the remover I have takes the wax off too (I think)

I just wondered it they cause any kind of long term corrosion, or if they are simply a visual annoyance.

Thanks...

·
Registered
592 Posts
They are a mystery that's for sure. I have them all over both our cars (both white so they show up more). This is the first year I have had them, and they are not tar as too cold for tar to melt. Lots of discussion on other forums about this - seems they could be "molases" mixed in with the road salt. I get mine off with white spirit then wax polish. Blooming annoying though that's for sure. No corrosion issues so don't worry.Edited by: Truth-seeker

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now you mention it, my cars both have loads more spots than last year. Something must have changed.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I hate them! My cars always has them. I washed the works van last week as it was a disgrace, I started off with the auto glym tar spot remover but ended up cursin and throwing turps on then when all that had gone threw white spirt all over and scrapin it with a credit card, I got it off and it didnt scratch but please do not scrape your up!s lol

I cant understand what they are the black spots but on the van they where (I don't know how to explain) but big patches like 1ft x 1ft down each side

We have had a few roads re tarmaced and I put it down to those but my up! Wasn't anywhere near that bad unless its my wax job
Edited by: Itzben

·
Registered
592 Posts
Tar can't melt in these low temperatures - need a really hot day (25c+) to melt tar.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've noticed these too, haven't got around to cleaning them yet though but white spirit would be my preferred choice too, it won't harm or scratch the paintwork, just remember to give the area a good shampoo and wax afterwards.

·
Registered
235 Posts
If you have the Lifeshine treatment take care - I understand that anything other than AutoGlym Super Resin Polish will remove the Lifeshine paint treatment.

Super Resin Polish will remove the spots (tar or otherwise) but it does take a bit of work. Interestingly after removing the spots last wweekend, the cloth was brown in colour - just like tar spots!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Upmeister said:
If you have the Lifeshine treatment take care - I understand that anything other than AutoGlym Super Resin Polish will remove the Lifeshine paint treatment.

Super Resin Polish will remove the spots (tar or otherwise) but it does take a bit of work. Interestingly after removing the spots last wweekend, the cloth was brown in colour - just like tar spots!
How long does the lifeshine last? At some point I would expect to have to give the paint work a good clean, clay bar, polish and re-wax.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Life shines for life!! Duh or it would be month shine if it lasted amonth or week shine but thats not a good selling selling name!!

Jokes

·
Registered
430 Posts
Itzben said:
Life shines for life!! Duh or it would be month shine if it lasted amonth or week shine but thats not a good selling selling name!!

Jokes

Very funny and we all believe it last for life do we?

·
Registered
6 Posts
WHITE SPIRIT!?!?!

as well as the tar itll strip the wax off but only if your lucky!!

better to use the correct product for the job and if you have lifeshine stick to to autoglym

if not to leave the tar where it is

1 - 14 of 14 Posts