Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Had my car at the dealers sorting the dash rattle out on tues/weds, they took the glovebox out twice and a couple of bits of trim off the dash. Cleaning the inside of the car today I noticed a small tear in the front passenger seat directly in front of the glove box so they must’ve caught it with a tool or something. Anyhow, what’s the best approach to take, I didn’t check the car over when I picked it up as didn’t think I’d need to and it was gone 4pm and I just wanted to get home after work.
Even today I only noticed it by sitting on the seat cleaning the dashboard.
I’m worried they’ll try and dismiss it saying I should’ve checked it over and they won’t accept liability. It’s only 2 months old so they can’t put it down to wear and tear.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Start by calling them and saying you noticed the tear in the seat, and it wasn't there before they did the work.
They may just replace the seat, or they may start arguing about it.
But speak to them first, you may get lucky and never have to enter into any arguments.

l bought a used Polo (two years old) from a VW main dealer, and a few days later noticed a tear in the back seat base. l went back and they just changed the seat base with no argument at all.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I had a similar event with my 2015 High Up. It had been a demo car and had 3000 miles on it when I bought it. 6 weeks in to ownership, I was hoovering the rear out and found a cigarette burn on the seat. Never noticed it when I bought it, and never had anyone in the back from that day to finding it. I complained and they ordered a new base cover for the rear seat & fitted it without argument.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Start by calling them and saying you noticed the tear in the seat, and it wasn't there before they did the work.
They may just replace the seat, or they may start arguing about it.
But speak to them first, you may get lucky and never have to enter into any arguments.

l bought a used Polo (two years old) from a VW main dealer, and a few days later noticed a tear in the back seat base. l went back and they just changed the seat base with no argument at all.
Thanks for that, do you think i should say I think the technician may have caught it with whatever tool he was using at the time but didn’t notice?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aldo would it just be the base or the whole seat as the heated element is in the base and the backrest? Hoping just the base. I hope they don’t try and stitch it together!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I cannot see how this would be classified as 'normal wear and tear' due to the location and nature of the cut. This looks to have been caused by a sharp edge from a tool or piece of trim. As others have said I cannot see them fighting with you on this one. Good luck.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cannot see how this would be classified as 'normal wear and tear' due to the location and nature of the cut. This looks to have been caused by a sharp edge from a tool or piece of trim. As others have said I cannot see them fighting with you on this one. Good luck.
My only worry is that it’s been a few days since having the car back and not checking at the time. The thought didn’t cross my mind that they would’ve damaged the seat. Scratch the trim maybe but not damage the seat

·
Registered
981 Posts
I would say "looks as though your guy has caught the seat with something and hasn't noticed"
Don't worry, I didn't notice mine for 6 weeks, and they didn't quibble.

·
Registered
776 Posts
It will depend on the garage... Many will simply deny all knowledge or liability. Best of luck, though.... At worst, an automotive upholsterer will likely be able to do an almost invisible repair. Sort it one way or the other - small tears all get worse!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took the car in and they said they’d order in a new seat cover. Cover?? Do they mean just the material? Or do they mean the actual base? How would they stitch the cover onto the base???

·
Registered
981 Posts
It isn't stitched to the base, it slides over it, The dark grey & tartan is just a cover that fits over the cushion base, same as the backrest, and all seats..
That's exactly what they ordered and fitted to my rear seat base.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I think the cover slides over the whole foam base including the bolsters - the stitching is between 2 material types in the cover, not to the actual foam or structure of the seat. This is where "Wheeler Dealers" and "Fast n Loud" come in handy, during lockdown! You get the "Oh, is that all it is?"-thing if you are bored enough to watch!

·
Registered
981 Posts
It looks stitched though, where the
Bolster side bits are
No, it's not, that just the centre stitched to the side that goes over the bolster. Take it from me, it's just a cover over the foam.

Reactions: freemansteve

·
Registered
8 Posts
If it can ease your mind, below is a picture for VW's part catalog.

22 is the fabric (seat cover) and 23 is the foam.(base)

24 is a complete seat bottom, but for a small tear like that there should be no need for any more than the fabric.

I would say they are doing precisely what they should by replacing the seat cover.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did they fix the rattle though? Common issue so if they did wtf was is
No, they said they couldn’t hear it this time. They took the glove box out twice and they also claimed they removed and replaced the same bits of trim they did last time. If I’m honest it’s not as bad but it’s more intermittent now, it comes and goes. However, I now have a new rattle/pranging/vibrating noise coming from the hand brake, if I hold the silver knob you push in, it stops! Not sure if some adhesive felt slipped down beside it will stop it vibrating or wether it’s further down. I can create the noise just by tapping the side of the silver knob. Also If I put a piece of card in the surround of where the handbrake sits it stops.
it’s like driving around in mother care this car!! 😡

·
Registered
612 Posts
When you take it back for the seat base, ask if a Tech can come out with you so you can demonstrate the rattle/ noise etc. So they can fix it, first you need to be able to reproduce, point out the noise on demand. If you can't what chance do they have. I had a guy come once in complaining about a rattle, car was full of stuff, junk, bits & pieces, we took it all out, put it in a box, no noise.................Being able to show them the noise is 50% of the job, just saying.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts