Up Owners Club banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
When you take it back for the seat base, ask if a Tech can come out with you so you can demonstrate the rattle/ noise etc. So they can fix it, first you need to be able to reproduce, point out the noise on demand. If you can't what chance do they have. I had a guy come once in complaining about a rattle, car was full of stuff, junk, bits & pieces, we took it all out, put it in a box, no noise.................Being able to show them the noise is 50% of the job, just saying.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
At the minute with covid they aren’t allowing me to go out with them, as soon as they are allowed I’ll do it. I can reproduce the handbrake noise by tapping the silver bit, it’s the exact noise it makes, it only happens over rougher roads though. The Dash rattle is very sporadic at the minute, it’s better than it was but it will probably come back in a couple of weeks like it did after they ‘fixed’ it the first time.
The suspension noise is also bugging the **** out of me but they say they can’t find anything wrong.
sounds like a load of logs rolling around, I can’t see that being normal!!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Have you been able to demonstrate the 'load of logs'? Try putting the rear seats down and either get back there yourself or ask a friend. Move around a bit until you can pin point its source yourself. Then you can show them ? But yes, easier when all this is over and you can get a Tech out with you. I had a NFF (no fault found) but I then took a tech out, pre covid, and within 5 minutes had him admitting he could hear it and knew how to re produced it, gearbox, fixed the following week ! Just keep at it before the warranty expires 😆🤣

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Have you been able to demonstrate the 'load of logs'? Try putting the rear seats down and either get back there yourself or ask a friend. Move around a bit until you can pin point its source yourself. Then you can show them ? But yes, easier when all this is over and you can get a Tech out with you. I had a NFF (no fault found) but I then took a tech out, pre covid, and within 5 minutes had him admitting he could hear it and knew how to re produced it, gearbox, fixed the following week ! Just keep at it before the warranty expires 😆🤣
Your gearbox was rattling? Whereabouts was the rattle? Mine is around the glovebox and then the handbrake. It’s definitely the hamdbr
Re the suspension, the sound is kind of obvious, it comes from the rear and sounds like a loud rumbling knocking noise, not from one particular side, it’s from the rear as a whole. At first I thought it was the wood on the underside of the floor base knocking on the metal but I padded that so it didn’t touch it, wasn’t that. Removed everything from the rear including the parcel shelf and the noise was still there. They said that it’s due to the stiffer suspension and lack of sound deadening.
I told the dealer about the rear noise but they said it’s normal due to the lack of sound deadening and stiffer suspension. I don’t buy this to be honest. I get a thump or thud going over bumps or manhole covers but not a constant rumbling on an uneven surface. It definitely sounds like rolling logs in the back.
Did you have a rattle that was the gearbox? The rattles I have are from around the glovebox (intermittent) and definitely the handbrake as if I hold it the noise stops

·
Registered
776 Posts
Long shot for rumbling noises - try swapping front wheels to rear for a test. Or if you have a (good) friend, try their wheels! I have definitely had a bad rear tyre that rumbled on another car, which was also impossible to balance... For that matter it could be a wheel out of true, rather than a tyre.

Record any noises and post the sound file; there are a few folk (not me!) on this site that can possibly recognise the fault.

Did the garage put the car on a lift and check all the bushes, by the way?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Long shot for rumbling noises - try swapping front wheels to rear for a test. Or if you have a (good) friend, try their wheels! I have definitely had a bad rear tyre that rumbled on another car, which was also impossible to balance... For that matter it could be a wheel out of true, rather than a tyre.

Record any noises and post the sound file; there are a few folk (not me!) on this site that can possibly recognise the fault.

Did the garage put the car on a lift and check all the bushes, by the way?
Apparently they did have it up to check it all, wether did or no I don’t know but once I can get out with them I’ll show them.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Apparently they did have it up to check it all, wether did or no I don’t know but once I can get out with them I’ll show them.
We had a distinct thump in our Gti from RH side when going over eg slightly recessed manhole.

Dealer traced it to the fuel filler hose from the filler neck to the tank.hitting the bodywork - solved by wedging foam in there.

Rear end is still a bit noisy on rough roads the tech' thinks it is due to the pathetic way the rear bumper is constructed.

Gently tapping on the rear bumper skin and the black undertray reveals that the whole lot moves about and makes a noise. They are going to pack it out with foam when I get a chance to take it in.

NB: 2 other Gti's (used and for sale) also had the same rear bumper noises.

Sounds like a 5 year old designed it and put it together!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Just curious - does the GTi share its bumper with other Up!/Citigo/Mii models? Or is it a special version to suit the look?
No idea tbh - obviously the undertray is an addition.

The skin is very flimsy and is secured at the top by some small screws/bolts (revealed when the hatch is opened) and is apparently just clipped on to (what?) at either end.

We can prod the skin about with gentle finger pressure and it makes a banging noise. Same with the undertray - again with gentle finger pressure it is easy to move it up and down whilst making a noise.

As I said the other two Gti's at the dealership where the same - the tech' also said it wasn't a great attachment system.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Hi Tummus
No, gearbox wasn't rattling, syncro crashing, had to demo it, but proves the point, you have to be able to show / demonstrate the problem. Ref the logs, find them first and demo on demand. Have you been able to drive another car ? try their demo car or somebody from here (forum) Where are you, town, sure one of us could hook up with you to nail this. Prove that not all cars do it, then prove it to them. Nobody has come on here and said, yes, '' I've got logs as well '' have they. Keep at it 👍

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Disappointed to see another tungsten silver in their car park though, thought I was only one in Plymouth!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Aha, Plymouth... Not too far - I could come over and help you "persuade" the other owner to change his colour to preserve your uniqueness! A bit like this? -

·
Registered
189 Posts
Your gearbox was rattling? Whereabouts was the rattle? Mine is around the glovebox and then the handbrake. It’s definitely the hamdbr
Re the suspension, the sound is kind of obvious, it comes from the rear and sounds like a loud rumbling knocking noise, not from one particular side, it’s from the rear as a whole. At first I thought it was the wood on the underside of the floor base knocking on the metal but I padded that so it didn’t touch it, wasn’t that. Removed everything from the rear including the parcel shelf and the noise was still there. They said that it’s due to the stiffer suspension and lack of sound deadening.

I told the dealer about the rear noise but they said it’s normal due to the lack of sound deadening and stiffer suspension. I don’t buy this to be honest. I get a thump or thud going over bumps or manhole covers but not a constant rumbling on an uneven surface. It definitely sounds like rolling logs in the back.
Did you have a rattle that was the gearbox? The rattles I have are from around the glovebox (intermittent) and definitely the handbrake as if I hold it the noise stops
VW say the noises are due to stiffer suspension and lack of sound deadening? Why doesent my car or others cars suffer ??

·
Registered
981 Posts
Seems like it, but the majority don't, so there must be a problem with those that do rattle. Vw Dealers are fobbing off.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts