Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing I miss on my UP is a temperature gauge it's comforting to see how hot your engine is when you are stuck in a queue on a hot day !
On previous cars I could see the gauge creeping up and do something about it. If we wait for the engine temperature warning light to come on then it's a bit late.
I know we have a temp gauge on the M&M unit but it goes to a set temp and stays there, it doesn't creep up or down it might as well say hot or cold on the unit.

I'm assuming no one has a temp display that creeps up or down on the M&M unit.
Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The engine temperature rises until it reaches the correct operating temperature. Once at that temperature I assume it is maintained within a few degrees either way not significant enough to change the display. I have noticed that the time taken to reach operating temperature varies according to the weather conditions and temperature.

·
Registered
583 Posts
The ordinary temp gauge in a car doesn't do much else than go to its normal position and then stay there either.
They're generally not very good indicators of your coolant temp.
By the time it moves, the temp will be a lot higher already.

·
Registered
309 Posts
It's the same with my wife's Ibiza, it has an analogue temp gauge but it never seems to stray away from 90 degrees.

Maybe cooling systems are just better than they used to be, the small engined up might be able to maintain 90 deg using the rad fan in any weather, well at least in this country anyway!ay

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agree with all your comments but years ago on Austins I have owned you would have a gauge that would creep up.
If they could provide a sensitive gauge then they must surely be able to do it now !

·
Registered
467 Posts
coolant temp is shown in board computer (available in drive pack together with cruise control and rear park sensors)

·
Registered
12 Posts
b82ry said:
coolant temp is shown in board computer (available in drive pack together with cruise control and rear park sensors)

...but it's just the digital version of analogue one - show temperature in 5°C increments and stay on 90°C when engine gets its working temperature.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
simples, disconnect the fan and see what happens! (not really)

mine never goes higher than 90 either, despite some ...ahem 'spirited' driving

1 - 8 of 8 Posts