Up Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...As an ex motoring journalist I thought I would throw my two pence worth of opinion into the bowl, having just had a nice extended test drive today in a High up! 75bhp model. Hopefully this answers some unresolved questions...so here goes!

Firstly it doesn't appear that you can lower the windows on the up! as with other VW group products. This may just be a programming function so time will tell. The resounding impressions were good, My opinion was already high from the many journo friends who have praised the up! So i wasn't blown away, more highly convinced it was the right choice for my needs.

From the outset of sitting in the car and playing with the sat nav and major controls, it successfully strikes the balance of feeling like a VW and not that of a lesser brand. Anyone that says it is cheap is frankly talking nonsense and has no concept of just how tight margins are on designing and producing cars!

The engine is unbelievably refined for something this small, with very light clutch pedal travel and a typically slick VW box. The steering is agile, light at town speeds and has enough feel to inspire confidence. The engine is nippy, aided by the incredibly light body shell that really makes it feel nimble. It is no pocket rocket, but it is certainly fresh enough to have some fun with, alongside inspiring brakes.

Parking is a doddle, unless you really are useless! The visibility is excellent with nicely shaped seats with ample travel. Although adjustment is good, the one continued criticism is that of height only adjustment on the steering column.

The dealership had several colours, with Black looking very smart...reassuring me of the choice alongside the sport pack. Mine should be here within the month so expect lots of pics...any questions just fire away!

Mark

Edited by: MarkyMark

·
Registered
677 Posts
Nice wee review!

I've got mixed expectations for the Up! going from a Smart car that was fun to drive, easy to park and very nippy to drive, to a Polo that is so smooth on the roads, very luxurious but very sluggish, I'm hoping that the Up would be a lovely combination of the best points of the two.

Glad you had fun on your test drive! I bet your now more excited than ever to get your own :D

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks fellow Senior member ;) Well rest assured the up! is a perfect car for you and is undoubtedly a much better car than the Smart...sorry but they are rubbish!!!!! Polo is great and very solid, if a little on the dull side....But the up! has character and feels nice and lively...you won't be disappointed at all :)

Can't wait to finally see one in black with the sports pack....being a looser i can't find a decent pic anywhere!

·
Registered
677 Posts
I loved my smart! Was the best wee car ive ever owned :D

Me and you will battling it out to see who's got the better looking car with the sports pack. OBVIOUSLY mine will look better in the white ;)

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol OBVIOUSLY it will look dirty quicker :p

And if the Smart was the best car you've owned then you need to own some more to see it really isn't the best :D

I am sure you shall be in love once your new toy arrives :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not really a test drive, but we got ours today!!

It is Take Up! in white, 60hp and I am extremely happy and impressed with it. The build quality is superb, the room is astonishing and it genuinely feels like driving a Golf. It is surprisingly nippy for 60hhp, much more so than the Fox it replaced and the engine is exceptionally smooth and quiet. It is at least as quiet in the cruise as our other car, a BMW 320d.

All in all, astoundingly good and at £7995 an unbelievable bargin if you look what else is availble for the money.

For those of you still waiting, you're in for a treat.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Having had both a Smart Car and Smart Roadster, the Smart Car was fun but not Brilliant. The Smart Roadster was a love hte relationship. It was fantastic except for the gearbox and water leaks. If you have never driven a lightweight sports car it was a real relevation.

Can't get our new UP soon enough. Enjoy yours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts