Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so today I had a test drive in a black High Up - pretty much the spec/colour I wanted (although I would have added the sound pack for the extra speakers)

Have to say wasn't overly impressed. Car looks pretty good, not amazing though or stand out in the way the Fiat 500 did couple years ago. Certainly blends into the background without offending if that's the wish.

Positives were the engine refinement which was surprisingly good for a 3 cylinder, and the excellent ride (at the expense of a little too much body roll when pushing on though). General fit and finish as expected were good. Boot spacious, especially with the drop down section - nice touch.

Negs - lightness of steering, ultimate lack of oomph from the engine (ok, maybe to be expected for the size/output), notchy gearshift. was surprised by lack of controls for multimedia on the steering wheel even as an option - this is a little poor both from a safety and convenience viewpoint. Maps and more was useful...but let down by an old style resistive touchscreen instead of a capacitive one. In other words, you have to actively press on the screen rather than touch - for that, please give my regards to 6 years ago VW!

So to sum up, I found it to be a competent inoffensive vehicle with the engine refinement stand-out for me. But it didnt blow me away enough to drop a deposit on it there and then. They tried to sweeten it by throwing in the 3 yr service deal for the original price and then the mat set too, but ultimately I don't feel this car is worth the significant premium in this class. For many I'm sure it will be, maybe for the badge alone, but not for me.

Just my tuppence worth

Edited by: kathyp

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I'm a pure VW *****! If they continue to make solid, reliable cars I always will be. So no competition for me, even if cars in the same class are cheaper and better drives.

Nice review btw

·
Registered
212 Posts
I know what you mean. I wish it took more effort to turn the steering wheel and the lack of oomph. Even when you drop down a gear, oh hang on, maybe if I learnt to drive it correctly it'd give me the oomph I wanted.

You can't have an excellent ride without some body roll either. It's what some people call a compromise.

Then there's the total annoyance of reaching across a few inches to the stereo/M&M, which I have to touch,and don't even get me started ontaking my hand off the steering wheel to change gears! It's justa total death trap!

Not sure why you joined the owners club just to slate the car. You could always just go and buy a Noddy 500!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you don't like it you have the answer. The most troublesome car I ever owned plus inept dealers was a Fiat. I will never own another.
VWs on the other hand have been solid and trouble free.
Is there a Fiat 500 Forum to amuse yourself on?Edited by: krojo

·
Registered
525 Posts
And don't forget the mpg! That's what really sold it to me, added to the way it rides and looks. Fiat? Well, you know, some people like that retro look and if that's what you want then enjoy! Oh, yes I forgot to mention the price and the innovative engineering.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Manacee said:
I know what you mean. I wish it took more effort to turn the steering wheel and the lack of oomph. Even when you drop down a gear, oh hang on, maybe if I learnt to drive it correctly it'd give me the oomph I wanted.

You can't have an excellent ride without some body roll either. It's what some people call a compromise.

Then there's the total annoyance of reaching across a few inches to the stereo/M&M, which I have to touch,and don't even get me started ontaking my hand off the steering wheel to change gears! It's justa total death trap!

Not sure why you joined the owners club just to slate the car. You could always just go and buy a Noddy 500!!!
Did I ever say I owned, or wanted to own, a 500? No, and I don't. I posted an honest, constructive review of the car from my point of view for the benefit of others to take into account or disregard at their choosing. I note you chose not to comment on the positive points I made about the Up.

If you re-read your reply, perhaps you'll see that there wasn't really any need for your knee-jerk defence and childish sarcasm. Or perhaps you won't. Jeez.

Edited by: kathyp

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Some people are a touch defensive here.

Kathyp: A car such as the Up requires that you work the gears. It likes to rev, and gives its oomph at higher revs than larger cars. If you still feel a liking for the UP, test drive again, and drop a gear or two when you need oomph, and see how it feels. Otherwise, enjoy whichever car you buy.

Ps: I partly agree with your comments on the styling. I think it is nice, but not stand out as per the Fiat 500. The Up has put fuel economy and interior space above styling, which I prefer.

Is that the smell of burning torches, and the sound of pitchforks being sharpened?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Brilliant. Well done.

You test drove it. It wasn't for you. Great, whatever.

Just don't see the point in joining the forum to sl*g it off.

It's like bringing a knife to a gunfight.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Well, I agree with Bug Babe! VW all the way... Have had loads of VWs and something pretty bad would have to happen to make me change!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well I thought that the OP provided some balance to the sometimes gushing praise for the up! on here.

Bit rude to start slating a new member regardless of their views and reason for posting.

Personally I think that kathyp is right re the premium charged. The High up! and Black/White variants are pretty expensive tbh.

Our local Ford has Ka Zetec's at £8995 OTR and Fiesta's with alloys and a/c at £11200 OTR and they will haggle on the price too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I woulddefiantlydisagree with the part about a significant premium, I went to test drive a 107 before seeing the up, although Ipreferredthe outside of the 107, the quality of the interior was not a patch on the VW and the engine was very noisy. As for the price, the top spec 107 was only £100 cheaper than the high up I have ordered and it didn't come withanywherenear as much spec, and if you want to compare it to the 500 i would love to see a top spec model with the economy of the up for £10500. Rant Over!

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
i think some people have been a little too defensive here...

however I do kinda agree, why join a forum for owners of the car doing a post like that? if you were asking our opinion however, saying, should I go for another test drive? asking us to try and sell the car to you? then fair enough, and your review was pretty balanced.

most of us love the up, including myself. and all I can say is that if it wasnt for you, fair enough and I hope you find a great alternative thats the perfect car for your needs and wants :)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Hang on a minute folks, give the girl a chance, she's simply posting her honest opinion of her experience during a test drive (and don't forget, the only way to voice your opinion is to join the forum, there's no option to post as a guest).

I ADORE my up! and no-one else's opinion will change that but don't forget, we up! owners are a bit biased to say the least and there are a lot of guests who come on here and read the forum posts, possibly in the hope that they'll get some useful, unbiased information which may sway them one way or the other about buying an up!

Kathyp's opinion is as valid as anyone else's so please don't give her a hard time, we're supposed to be nice people on here

Edited by: clowesa

·
Registered
44 Posts
I hope my post isn't taken the wrong wayit'sjust my view onthe small car's out there at the moment ( i do love the up very much though), and you never know if kathyp sticks around and reads some of ourexcellentreviews, we may change her there mind

·
Registered
553 Posts
Well done Kathyp!

Good review.....sounds Very similar to a recent review in a paper! by someone who is paid to give a review!

One has to wonder why you would go to the trouble of joining an owners forum of a car You so obviously wouldn't buy!

Its much easier to go to your local supermarket and buy a bunch of bright green grapes! I.M.O.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think it's a fair enough review. KathyP sounds quite techie, and seems to know about cars. I think the point about the over-light steering is valid... something I noticed when I tested the up! For the rest, I can't say I agree, but we're all different, and that's what makes life interesting

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well maybe I should apologise?

Despite you basically saying that the 400+ members on here who have either ordered or own a VW up! have made the wrong choice and paid over the odds in doing so, I apologise.

Sorry KathyP.

I'm off to find a Fiat forum, see if I can't ruffle some feathers!

(Only joking of course!)

<br ="Apple-interchange-newline">

·
Registered
423 Posts
Other people's opinions will never influence my choice of car. I rely on my own experiences and lifelong interest in driving to buy vehicles that I think will suit my purpose and satisfy my needs. I joined this forum having already ordered my car so I have no interest in reading someone's test drive impressions.I enjoy the friendship, humour, technical info and tips and gentle championing of spec, mods and colour etc (white still looks best)
. That's why I post and also why the vast majority of members post.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Completely agree Whassup

I had already ordered when I joined. I'm big enough and ugly enough to make my own decisions, mistakes?

And black is best, will show u later

1 - 20 of 33 Posts