Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first car we have had that has had any sort of hands free so I was quite supprised when it started to read out text messages!

It seems this is not the case on my sisters brand new SLK Merc, which was a bit more expensive!

pmsl.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Can I ask which phone brand and model you have??I once went through the list of supported mobile phones, at it's astonishing that only a very small percentage is supported. What I hate most is that the M+M has the feature, but it doesn't follow the normal MAP bluetooth protocol that iOS uses.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a Sony Ericsson W995, we didn't set it up or anything.
My other half has a Samsung that seems to connect or not to the M&M no matter what we do! most annoying as its her car! my phone connects no problem and stays connected.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Doesn't seem to work with any iPhone ....lord knows I've tried every possible way!

·
Registered
80 Posts
It works like a clock on my Sony Experia U. It´s quite nice actually! Love the feature! Did not know this until yesterday.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Interesting, surprisingly few models do!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I actually just found the mail I have send to Navigon about the matter:<blockquote style="margin: 0 0 0 40px; border: none; padding: 0px;">I have an
iPhone 5, which I use every day in my VW UP! to stream music, and I'm a little
sad about the limited Bluetooth functionality in the Maps and More unit, which
leads me to two questions:
<i style="line-height: 1.4;">[/i]

What
is the AVRCP profile version used in the M+M unit? I understand that the 1.4
version support coverart and file browsing, just like if I was playing music
from an SD card, but my M+M will only show the artist, track, album data, as
well as let me go back/forth and pause, which seems like 1.3.

Is
it possible that 1.4 will be implemented in the M+M in a future update or is
this hardware dependent as well?
<i style="line-height: 1.4;">[/i]

It's
claimed that the M+M unit can show text messages (SMS) on the screen, yet only
30 out of the 498 models you list are supported according to your website, and
out of these 30 only 3 are modern day smartphones, and none of these run iOS or
Android, which are the most sold mobile OS's today. I'm curious as to why the 2
biggest contenders are not supported, as I know the iPhone (iOS) supports MAP
(Message Access Profile), which from my understanding is the standard Bluetooth
protocol for messages?

This was what I got back:</blockquote>
<blockquote style="margin: 0 0 0 40px; border: none; padding: 0px;"><blockquote style="margin: 0 0 0 40px; border: none; padding: 0px;">About the bluetooth, we have forwarded this to see if 1.4 can be implemented in a future update, at this moment we can not say if this is possible and if it will happen.At this moment the phones on the list are the only compatible devices for reading sms, we do not know if this will change in the future.</blockquote>
</blockquote>

·
Registered
5 Posts
Toubro said:
At this moment the phones on the list are the only compatible devices for reading sms, we do not know if this will change in the future.[/i]</blockquote>
</blockquote>
It's simply ridiculous. Since there are so little compatible phones, it would be better not to offer this option at all...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the new Garmin unit and I can say that, although the other features work well, the SMS option does not work with my Huawei G615 (android ICS). Anyway, I have to admit that this feature is pretty useless to me, since most of my friends use whatsapp...

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you go onto the Garmin maps & More web site... under support you can download the phone compatibility list. and it tells you which phones support what feature... it does not seem to support a lot of phones at the moment. maybe this will increase with future updates...

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Can you talk back and it writes a message for you? Or reply to a message its just read to you?

·
Registered
10 Posts
It works for my Nokia Lumia 925 (windows 8 phone) - it read the message and you can speak the reply, very cool.
(could not see it in the list of compatible devices)

Does not work on my Sony Xperia Z running android 4.2.2

Edited by: markiep

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
L.J said:
iPhone 5 works with Garmin.

but sadly not with the navigon earlier version

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
How awful not to have access to text messages 24/7. I still remember using public telephone boxes and most homes did not have a land line.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Beevee said:
How awful not to have access to text messages 24/7. I still remember using public telephone boxes and most homes did not have a land line.

actually, I often get urgent texts about patients/house visits etc when I'm out and about on my rounds, having them appear on the M&M would be very useful to me

I hear you re old tech....we had a 'party line' at one point ...used to spy on the neighbours calls!

did you ever use to tin cans and a bit of string?.......my first mobile (motorola 8500) produced calls of a similar quality!

1 - 20 of 91 Posts