Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, been a bit busy lately so haven't been on the forum much, but I'm back now!

I'll start off this little rant by saying that I expect my car to get scratched. I know at some point I'll hit something, or something will hit me, that's to be expected. I can accept that.

I've had my (new) up for only a month now and am absolutely loving it. Yesterday, I left my car in a car park and came back to find that someone had decided to put a large scratch down the side of the car! It is reasonably noticeable and around 30cm long - it's gone down through the top layer of paint as well. As I said, I can live with scratching my own car or someone else doing it accidentally, but having someone do it on purpose for no reason is pretty bad. It's never happened to me or anyone else I know before, so I'm annoyed it's happened to my new car.

I know it's just a car and it can be repaired but I'll always know that there used to be a scratch there.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I am sorry to hear this. You must be very cross as I would be. Do you really think it was deliberate if it was what kind of person would do it. I hope you get it successfully restored.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am sooo sorry it happened.
I know how it feels. Happened to my first car in the first day itself. It was parked in a free parking spot in London on a Saturday night. Some guy who probably regularly used that bay to move stuff between his office and his van did not like it and put a dent in the back.
I mistook it as ill luck and unintentional bumping. The following day, same spot, another scratch. I was devastated.

I did not come to know of it except the following day when another car was parked there, I was stood next to the spot and this guy approached me and in a 'bullying' tone asked me if that car was mine... I then put 2 and 2 together.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ooh, that doesn't sound good. Worse then what happened to me though, having it happen on the first day is awful. Do people go for new cars more often?

Edit: Oh, just noticed! Welcome to the forum!Edited by: skyhigh

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beevee said:
I am sorry to hear this. You must be very cross as I would be. Do you really think it was deliberate if it was what kind of person would do it. I hope you get it successfully restored.
I'm pretty sure it happened on purpose, it's about half way up the door and quite narrow. I'm not really that cross, just annoyed. As I said, it's only a car (albeit a nice one)!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Always reminds me of John Travolta's monologue on pulp fiction about keying a car.

Some people are just rude arrogant bastards. I hope your car is fixed up soon!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I feel for you and am nervous whenever I leave my car.

I have suffered a couple of times from vandalism over the years. People seem to be very possessive over strangers parking near their homes.
Fortunately the deliberate acts have been against my company cars and not my own.
I had a Ford Focus that I packed in a quiet local authority cul de sac. On two occasions over a week I found eggs broken on the roof and bonnet.
Another time I parked a Toyota Avensis in a very expensive estate of houses in Windsor. I came back to a smashed headlight, tail light and broken wiper. I think a resident did it to deter the rif raf from cheapening the area.
Then there are the selfish sods who swing open their doors in car parks, leaving ugly dents in our beautiful curves.
It's not with having a tidy car some times.
Hope you don't suffer any more damage.

·
Registered
467 Posts
skyhigh, even if You didn't parked perfectly in the parking spot, scratch is too big punishment.

If someone parks next to me, so that I can't get in to my car (I'm pretty skinny), I'm unfolding their mirrors - kinda lesson w/o damaging anything

1 - 8 of 8 Posts