Up Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According the site autoblog, based on data of

JATO Dynamics, the trio Volkswagen UP! + Seat Mii + Skoda Citygo are the best selling car in the 28 most important countries of the old continent, with a total of 103.615 for the first six months of 2014.

Really Autoblog and JATO Dynamics don't add 3 volkswagen group brands for the same model car, but they do it for the GM group like Opel/Vauxhall and then is valid to add the 3 equivalent cars of VAG.

1. Fiat 500 96.674
  2. Fiat Panda 81.796
  3. VW Up! 69.651
  4. Hyundai i10 42.129
  5. Renault Twingo 38.201
  6. Toyota Aygo 32.957
  7. Smart ForTwo 31.538
  8. Ford Ka 29.431
  9. Kia Picanto 28.252
  10. Opel/Vauxhall Adam 27.931
  11. Citroën C1 24.387
  12. Peugeot 107 22.812
  13. Skoda Citigo 21.645
  14. Suzuki Alto 15.683
  15. SEAT Mii 12.319
  16. Chevrolet Spark 9.155
  17. Mitsubishi Space Star 8.157
  18. Suzuki Splash 7.861
  19. Opel/Vauxhall Agila 6.989
  20. Toyota iQ 2.409

·
Registered
171 Posts
Fair enough...but not really sure adding up the total sales of 3 different cars makes it a valid statistic. People who buy an up have bought an up, different people buy a citigo or mii.

Not even sure it means much anyway, do you choose a car based on sales numbers..don't think I ever have!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
upmancotswolds said:
Fair enough...but not really sure adding up the total sales of 3 different cars makes it a valid statistic. People who buy an up have bought an up, different people buy a citigo or mii.

Not even sure it means much anyway, do you choose a car based on sales numbers..don't think I ever have!
Someone has his "point of view"....but in the same ranking are added the units of Opel to Vauxhall as the same car.

Like in this forum, You can find users of Skoda Citygo and Seat Mii, and then, what it means?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
upmancotswolds said:

Sorry that did not answer your question!

Personally, I think the amount of sales that have a car, basically if imported, or armed with many imported components, it is important, at least in Argentina, as it has historically happened to cars like the Fiat Tipo Italian or the Rover English which not have replacement parts, and its resale value is almost null. Other cars that despite being recognized brands such as Volvo and Alfa Romeo, also have low resale value, due to the difficulty of obtaining the replacement parts, and it's overpriced high value.

In the case of the Volkswagen UP! it begin the sales in Mercosur in this year, and based of the best security levels in the world, the title of Car of the Year 2012, low fuel consumption and very good performance and interior space (more than the European), I decided to buy it.

Other detail is the Volkswagen service and support.

Other aspect, is the availability of replacement parts, because the body of the UP! is made in Brazil, like the engine, and the gearbox is made in Argentina. Some parts are european the first years to start producing it in Mercosur, like the headlights which yet are Hella made in Czechoslovakia. But other components like the engine computer and injection system will remain european.

Here in Sud America, only some models of Seat are imported by Volkswagen, but not the Mii.

You can see some comparative tests of the 3 cars (all they recognize "Same car"):

Same car, three different names: the VW Up!, the Skoda Citigo and the SEAT Mii.
http://www.dw.de/compare-it-the-vw-up-skoda-citigo-and-seat-mii/av-16250014

<h1 id="watch-line-title" ="yt">Fifth Gear Volkswagen Up!/Mii/Citigo Teamtest</h1>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HfMh4Duups

·
Registered
171 Posts
Not disputing what you say (I have a High Up on order myself!) but just don't see that they ARE the same car!

Also I actually would prefer a good car with lower sales, as it makes it more individual on the roads - more of a 'Q' car as they used to be called. I currently have a Fiesta, the best selling car of all, but it wasn't the reason I bought it...more was the 1.0 ecoboost engine, handling, price etc. But now I'm more than ready to downsize to the Up, which is why it's going.

But we can certainly agree the up and its sister cars are great

Edited by: upmancotswolds

·
Registered
237 Posts
juan37 said:
Someone has his "point of view"....but in the same ranking are added the units of Opel to Vauxhall as the same car.
Not really. The Suzuki Splash and the Opel/Wauxhall Agila are the same car, but the sales numbers are not added.

Edited by: uphu

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I think it is reasonable to also lump together closely related cars otherwise you could argue that you should separate out the models. Really a Citigo is no more than a model in the range.

What is odd is that the list ignores the Forst Fester and the Vauxhall Corsa. This must be only city cars?

proud_darcy said:
The Adam really has been a flop. Such low sales considered how much marketing muscle and spend is behind the car.
A camp name and high price do not help.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
uphu said:
juan37 said:
Not really. The Suzuki Splash and the Opel/Wauxhall Agila are the same car, but the sales numbers are not added.
Sorry, I don't know the Suzuki Splash!

The same can be with who made the ranking, ignoring (like me in this case) how many cars are the same, but with different models name and manufacturer from the same Commercial group.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Leif said:
I think it is reasonable to also lump together closely related cars otherwise you could argue that you should separate out the models. Really a Citigo is no more than a model in the range.

What is odd is that the list ignores the Forst Fester and the Vauxhall Corsa. This must be only city cars?

proud_darcy said:
The Adam really has been a flop. Such low sales considered how much marketing muscle and spend is behind the car.
A camp name and high price do not help.
In this list only appear the URBAN cars:
http://es.autoblog.com/2014/08/10/dossier-los-modelos-mas-vendidos-en-europa-en-el-primer-semestr/

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you add the Fiat Panda, Fiat 500 & Ford KA (basically same car under the skin) together the trounce the UP! triplets.

Vauxhall & Opel are much more closely related that the Triplets as literally it is just a change of badge, the lights etc are exactly the same unlike the Citigo, Mii & Up!.

I'll get my coat......

Edited by: mii al

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The Pand, 500 and Ka are far more distinct than the Up triplets which have only small differences. In fact the differences between models in the Up range are bigger than those between the base Up and base Citigo. Following your argument, you can group the Polo, Audi A3 and Skoda thing as the same car, and so on and so forth. Personally I think the Peugeot 108, Citroen C1 and Toyota thingy are close enough to group.

Anyway, it's all irrelevant, VAG are doing well, which augurs well for the future. (I'm sure I pissmelled augurs ...)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Leif

I do agree, the Fiats / Ford are a bit more different than the triplets. But the triplets are further removed than Vauxhall Opel which was the OP's reasoning for grouping the triplets.

However, according to my Seat dealer, the Fabia is not directly on the old Polo platform, it is a more derivative one that also was in a van not sold in the UK. I assume you mean the A1 not A3

The last gen 107 / C1 / Aygo were more closely related than the current 108 / C1 / Aygo are.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts