Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got it! boo hoo....will change my wheels at the weekend for winters and take a look at the discs/pads to see what gives.

anyone successfully argued for new discs due to warping?? car is only 13 months old and 26.5K miles

·
Registered
583 Posts
There have been a few cases on the German and Dutch up forums where the disks were replaced under warranty.

How bad is it ?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm guessing they may argue wear and tear. What's the going rate for discs and pads. I noticed when I was swapping my wheels round that the discs aren't that big, guessing they are doing most of the work as it has drums at the back.

Hope you get it sorted with ease Doc.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
will have a look at weekend as it is reasonably severe....if just the pads , fair enough but I suspect disc warping....will keep you all informed.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Asbestos is no longer used in brake pads(health issue)any more and now the disc also wears out.

Eventually you may have to change the pads and discs due to normal wear and tear so I wouldn't think VW would treat it as a warranty issue especially as your car has done 26.5K milesEdited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
438 Posts
30k miles seems about right for pads to me. The discs is another matter. My wife and I had identical Minis, she went through pads and discs at 25k. I still had the originals at 40k.

I am a brilliant driver though
Edited by: Scrubnut

·
Registered
222 Posts
Get the disc resurfaced and chuck a new set of pads on. A lot of the time brake shudder is caused by uneven deposits of brake pad material being on the disc / bonding to the disc and creating a uneven surface. You don't need a lot of material taken off it, just need to make it even again.

Personally I'd not try and argue a set of discs on the warranty. Its a wear and tear product and totally dependent on how you drive.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Holding the brake pedal down when stationary (at traffic lights etc.), when the brakes are very hot, can also cause disc warping, but think this only applies if you've been driving/braking very hard!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Doc

Disappointed that you have the brake shudder as we got our cars at similar times and have covered similar distances. I have now just covered 24,000 miles

My previous 3 cars, I have kept for about 3 years each and have covered about 48-53, 000 in each car, and never once have I needed new brake discs or pads. In fact on my last car, at the last service at 37,500 miles they said they were 40% wear left.

I know it is down to type of journeys, driver style etc. Most of my journeys are of 2 types, 200 mile round trips to football, or 45 mile round trips daily to work.

Hope you get your brakes sorted.

Kevin

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi PrivateDoc,

My up! (also well-used like yours) has always suffered from incorrect run-out of the front discs since new. Initially this took the form of a slight pumping sensation as the car came to a rest - as though the brakes were being applied and then released slightly.

At the first service - 5 months/10,000 miles - I asked them to check the brakes and - surprise, surprise - not fault found.

The problem became more noticeable as the mileage grew and at the 20,000 mile service (10 months) I again asked for the brakes to be checked. Again no fault found, so I asked for a Technician to accompany me in the car. He agreed that there was something wrong and that the pads and discs should be changed. When we got back to the dealership, the Warranty Manager said that they couldn't change the parts under warranty as they would not be paid by VW - as they are wear and tear parts this type of fault has to be reported within 6,000 miles or 6 months!

I pointed out that I had previously reported the fault, but to no avail.

Currently the problem is more noticeable, but still confined to low speed braking - below 20 mph. With more mileage this will start to be felt as a high speed shudder when braking - but if I want it fixed I'll have to pay.

I've had three problems with the up! and only one has been fixed under warranty - and as a gesture of good will (the factory cross-threaded one of the rear wheel bolts!). It strikes me that VW have cut-back on the warranties they will pay, forcing the dealers to take a much harder line. If this is the case, VW's reputation will suffer and they will loose business. Even if the up!GT ever gets made, I can't see me buying one because of the poor aftersales attitude that has prevailed with my up!

After 7 VW's in the last 15 years, the up! could be my last!!!

Edited by: Upmeister

·
Registered
189 Posts
No shuddering but some sounds as if discs are rusty all the time, various clunks and groans , will get all checked next month at first service. Have had roof resprayed under warranty, no quibbles , great service.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The brake judder I had started after only about 2k miles and was only properly sorted when a technician requested equipment from VW to check hub alignment.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, I have the dreaded brake shudder too. My UP has done 25,000 miles and it became noticeable at about 20,000. Feels exactly as if the discs are slightly distorted causing a rapid 'on-off' braking effect / vibration particularly noticeable on the motorway but occurs at all speeds. Am off to VW this morning - they sound surprised and unaware of any problems with UP brakes, ho ho. Will post outcomes.

ManghenMan

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just been to my VW dealer with brake shudder at all speeds. They tell me it is normal for brake disks to go banana shaped at 20,000 miles / 2 years, it is 'wear and tear' and thus not covered by warranty - That will be £239 Sir but we will give you a 50% discount as a goodwill gesture this time only.

Disc distortion at 20,000 miles has to be faulty supply and or design, not normal 'wear and tear'. The family has 3 other cars (not VW) all of which have gone seamlessly over 50,000 miles with just routine pad replacement.

So with the UP it will mean considerable on-going cost and inconvenience every 20,000 miles. Considering the car was stupidly 'expensive' in the 1st place it is beginning to look like a bit of a pineapple.

I have complained to VW UK and will keep you all posted.

ManghenMan

·
Registered
354 Posts
It may be normal if the disc quality used is cheap rubbish.
Sounds like they are either not fit for purpose from the manufacturer or your dealer is pulling a fast one.
My BMW before the up needed new discs after 100k.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ho, ho VW really are in it.

My UP has brake shudder at 2 years / 27,000 miles and yes, the discs are banana shaped and have to be replaced.

1st VW offer was for me to pay for the lot. 2nd VW offer is for me to pay 50%. Wow, how good is that! I'll be 1st in the queue at VW for my next new car won't I.

VW legendary warranty doesn't cover 'wear and tear'. So what else isn't covered? The engine? the transmission? the wheels? Is anything covered at all?

My UP is a contender for the Morris Marina Car of the Year Award and VW will be picking up the Gerald Ratner Customer Care award.

ManghenMan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi guys, my wifes up had been in with slow speed brake judder and they clained it wasn`t covered by the warranty and a charge of £272 for them to replace!! has anybody brought a better upgraded disc from another supplier that will not bend so easy? if so how much are they??etc many thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
My dealer has agreed to cover half the cost of the brake disc replacement as a good will gesture this time, Do I have to foot the whole £272 cost every 25,000 miles thereafter or are VW quietly going to fit discs that don't go banana shaped? Who knows.

So far as finding a 3rd party retro-fit solution to replace the faulty VW product - that will no doubt void your 'fabled' VW warranty.

My solution is simpler. The UP will be going DOWN in 20,000 miles time as PX for the new Vauxhall Corsa

ManghenMan

·
Registered
354 Posts
If they're warping that quickly then I'd be stating not fit for purpose and demanding a full replacement FOC.
Outside warranty will replace with a better disc which will no doubt be cheaper than the dealer OEM.
Change discs yourself it's simple.
Anyone getting a Corsa instead clearly has given up on driving

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tried 'not fit for purpose' with VW but no luck.

To you and me brake discs that go banana shaped after 25,000 miles aren't FFP. To VW they are FFPbecause they lasted 25,000 miles!

VW should be changing the disc spec and doing the work. General public speccing up 3rd party discs and fitting them surely can't be a good solution or safe.

Had a 'New Corsa' 1.4 two door for a week and was really surprised myself. It is a way more able drive and better specced than the UP at about the same price. Not a must have 'brand' but times change as we have seen. Will be testing other brands but the UP is going and VAG are dropped.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts