Up Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Thanks for pursuing this issue Soc - it's reassuring to get the information directly from the manufacturer (in Germany). This gives me confidence that the service schedule in the manual is correct (no mention of a five year cam belt change) and, like yourself, I will not change the belt early as instructed by UK VW dealerships. This is my own personal choice...as always.

Many thanks, MrJ

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it helps, my car has done 110,000 miles, been inspected the last 2 years and still looks and feels fine. So I won't be changing it

·
Registered
204 Posts
MY indie garage that did my service this week informed me that the camcelt was due next year. That would be 5 years old and probably about 35k miles.

Ive had a look through the service book and cant see any mention of it.

I dont plan on keeping the car much past next year so i dont really want to drop the dosh for a cambelt on it.

Does anyone have any links to anything definite from VW regarding it? or have i missed something in the service book?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've just purchased my UP in the last month, it'll be 5 years old next march and will also be nearing around 65k miles.

The fact there's such ahuge difference between the 2shows that VW UK's stanceis a total money grab. 5 years irrespective of mileage is a joke.With the averagemileage peryear being around 10k (being generous), we're talking 16 years before it realistically needs to be checked, at whichpoint it probably won't be worth doing anyway.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My Mii is just about to have its 5 year service and the (independent) garage I use suggested I need to change the cam belt even though it has only done about 18,000 miles.

I thought about it but, based on the comments on this thread and elsewhere, decided to put it off until another year.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've just looked in my service book - it says "inspect" at 60,000 miles and replace at 120,000 miles. No mention of time, just distance travelled.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Just sloppy journalism. I wouldn't base my servicing on what they say. Gernany has some fierce consumer protection laws. If VW there say 160,000km then that would do for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have experienced this same issue with my 62 plated VW UP which may help.

I was NOT advised
that the cam belt needed changing after the 5 year major service
at VW Service Centre in September. I later became aware that other VW dealers were stating that cam-belt and water pump need replacing at 5 years. I then challenged the manager at the service centre for an explanation.
The Manager investigated further with VAG as the data and recommendations were confusing and he came back with following explanation.

The Technician looked at the "FACTORY" details for my car which
states that the cam-belt should be changed in 2020 or at 160,000
miles. However the standard
VW UK recommendation based on UK climatic conditions is that cam-belts are changed every 5 years but this is only a recommendations
and the choice is up to me ! Reference was also made to the Skoda
Citygo which is the same engine as the UP and the cam-belt does not
have a change date and is quoted as a "lifetime
cam-belt" by the "FACTORY" details.

In addition I have been informed that the water pump has a
separate drive and is located at the other end of the engine and has
no recommended change date or mileage and only required attention if
fault develops. The change recommendation has been removed from
replacement with cam-belt and costing structure amended. The manager also stated that they were neither right or wrong by not recommending cam-belt replacement the said that he would now personally only change the belt but at 5 years for "peace of mind".

I find myself concerned with the
latest response as I now have doubts. I think I will wait at least another year before replacing only the belt after 6 years and not waiting for the 8 years.

·
Registered
204 Posts
minimax said:
Just sloppy journalism. I wouldn't base my servicing on what they say. Gernany has some fierce consumer protection laws. If VW there say 160,000km then that would do for me.

Problem is VW UK say 5 years, and thats what buyers will look at when they come to buy your car.

Im planning on selling my UP next year when it will be 4.5 years old (getting an EV). Really hope people dont try and haggle me down based on the cambelt being "due soon"

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not directly Up related but my 1995 Polo was sold a t 6 uears old without a canmbelt change and my 2002 Mini was sold at 15 years old still on its original cambelt.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Napper said:
I have experienced this same issue with my 62 plated VW UP which may help.

I was NOT advised
that the cam belt needed changing after the 5 year major service
at VW Service Centre in September. I later became aware that other VW dealers were stating that cam-belt and water pump need replacing at 5 years. I then challenged the manager at the service centre for an explanation.
The Manager investigated further with VAG as the data and recommendations were confusing and he came back with following explanation.

The Technician looked at the "FACTORY" details for my car which
states that the cam-belt should be changed in 2020 or at 160,000
miles. However the standard
VW UK recommendation based on UK climatic conditions is that cam-belts are changed every 5 years but this is only a recommendations
and the choice is up to me ! Reference was also made to the Skoda
Citygo which is the same engine as the UP and the cam-belt does not
have a change date and is quoted as a "lifetime
cam-belt" by the "FACTORY" details.

In addition I have been informed that the water pump has a
separate drive and is located at the other end of the engine and has
no recommended change date or mileage and only required attention if
fault develops. The change recommendation has been removed from
replacement with cam-belt and costing structure amended. The manager also stated that they were neither right or wrong by not recommending cam-belt replacement the said that he would now personally only change the belt but at 5 years for "peace of mind".

I find myself concerned with the
latest response as I now have doubts. I think I will wait at least another year before replacing only the belt after 6 years and not waiting for the 8 years.

Interesting. When i took my old 5 year old Citigo in for a service they flagged it up as it must be changed.

I didn't, but they were quite strong. Seems like there's some conflicting information about

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am amazed throughout this discussion that people seem happy to swap miles with kilometres and vis versa!

160 000 km = 99 419 miles, BIG difference!

·
Registered
32 Posts
>From what I understand Vw had some cases of cambelts breaking earlier than they should so too be on the safe side they made cambelt changes 5years or 75000miles whichever is sooner.

Is there any written evidence to confirm the 75k/5year limit?

>It's also the fact that the coolant Water pump is driven by the cambelt.

Not a fact at all. The water pump is driven by a belt off the end of the exhaust camshaft.

As far as I'm aware when I purchased my Citigo new in July/16, the dealer (Vantage Skoda in Morecambe) said that the manufacturer recommended visually checking the cam belt at 160,000km and replacing if necessary. There is no manufacturer specified time limit. And that was the guidance their technicians adhered to.

Has anybody on this forum had a cam/ancilliary/water pump belt failure? And if so, what were the circumstances surrounding the event?

Regards...Snaefell - Marown, IoM

·
Registered
204 Posts
kompressor said:
Ok. So after this debate where do we stand? 5 years??? 100000 km's????

I phoned up and spoke to the VW customer services. They queried it with the "Technical Department" and came back with every 5 years and no mileage limit.

Edited by: Jimlad

·
Registered
149 Posts
I wonder is this the same story across the VW range?
We have a Tdi Tiguan which is exactly 5 years old with 87000 miles on the clock. VW Uk say its due a belt, I wonder what the rest of Europe say?

21 - 40 of 63 Posts