Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Had no idea the beetle was mainly a girls car

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VW wanted to make the new Beetle more appealing to male drivers. I really love it and would happily have one if I had the money.
But is the car still seen as a girl thing?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Saw a white one with black stripes mirror caps and black gloss wheels looked fantastic I'd have one but if I was spending that much I'd lean more to the sirocco. I think it's alot more unisex the previous one was deffo a ladies car!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I really love the Beetle and think VW have done a good job "manning" it up - it's still unmistakenlya Beetle but has a much more aggressive stance.

Unfortunately most drivers I see are female. I'd have a new Beetle in a minute, test drove one a few months back. Unfortunately it's over my budget though :(

·
Super Moderator
1,496 Posts
I think the current Beetle is too far removed from it's roots to even call a Beetle.

The first 'new' Beetle retained the classic bug profile, but with the newest one, it's lost it's 'rump' and looks more like a Chrysler Crossfire. Ugly.

·
Registered
438 Posts
My girlfriend drives the cabriolet and believe me, when I'm driving it I don't worry about it being girly!its great to drive and comfy.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I like the new shape very much. Although most modern cars now look too wide for their length i.e. Focus, the Beetle seems to have benefitted - maybe because it started off as narrow in the first place. I'm convinced there must be a formula for how wide a car should be for it's length for it to look "right". The Focus Mk.1 had it right and for large cars, the Vauxhall Carlton had it right. I'd also say the current Fiesta has it right - although i suspect its size is almost the same as the MK.1 Focus.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think a major difference is the colours the versions are available in. Yesterday I saw loads of 'old' Beetles, all of which were pastel colours, and all driven by women. On the other hand the only new Beetles that I have seen have been silver, a much more masculine colour.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Can't say I'm a fan. If my wife had one I'd not object to driving it but I certainly wouldn't want to have one for myself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts