Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
First of all im really happy to have found this forum, it acruallt did help me alot!

Well my story started in summer of 2012, I was looking for a cool and cheap car...my first car actually. After a few months of thinking and several visits to basically every cardealer in stockholm I fell in love with the UP! So I placed my order for a Silver High Up with a premium pack.

At first it really was a lovestory people stopped me and asked me about my cool little car, it was cheap and for me living in the middle of the town where there basically are no parking options it was a dream to have a small car with parkingsensors...I named my Upsy Bender

After about 1300km the problems started, suddenlyI couldnt get the car in first gear...it was impossible and the only way to get forwars was actually to put it in reverse, back a few meters and then try to get it in first gear again.....imaginethat by a redlight or a queue..i made people so happy that i actually feared for my life a few times!
SoI went to VW where they found small metal flakes in the gearoil. Got the car back after a week and the problem was the same so I went back.

This time they decided to take the whole gearbox apart and then put it back together...but a bit better and stiffer.....that didnt work either....so Bender went vack to the VW service and they ordered a new gearbox!

One week laterI went to pick Bender up and was pissed of the secondI turned the car on since i saw that the VW peeps drove over 120km with it, and they charged me since "they didnt have enough gas to testdrive it"....wtf!!! Was about to have a drive around the house to confront them whenI saw that the gearstick was totally loose and there was no way to get out of first gear at all....So Bender went back to service

The Gerbox was never ok, it never got ok but somehow I got really sick of going back to VW, until i made a remark that I couldnt listen to the radio...seriously I payed for a new car that should work...I got a car that was the same shape of a freaking Ford Eskort from the 80's!

The car went to service and they couldnt fix the radio reception,I even mentioned that now the gerbox is sh*tty since it wont get into reverse.....

When I got the car back I saw a little mark on the panel and said to my brother that it looked like dirt....but after a closer look I could see that the VW-peeps had no idea how to remove the radio...so they jammed a
screwdriver into every little possible crack on the panel and tried tobreak it away= The whole front panel (Both the plastic gray one and the highgloss one) were full of scratches...and no small once either....looked like they gave a screwdriver to a blind man with parkinsons.

I went back, handed over the keys and asked for a bag so I could get my peronal stuff from the car, went streight up to the salesmanager and demanded a refund. The day after i gave them all the papers for my UP and placed a new order...this time on a less cooler car but one thats been here for centuries.´..Polo!

Now im driving a Golf 7(freaking love it) till I get my Polo R-line in April....Im still sad about my Upsy, but after all the sh*t Ive been through with it I just didnt have the courage to order another UP.

Hope you guys have Up's that are flawless, its an awesome car....think i just had really bad luck! :(

·
Registered
592 Posts
Blimey, that is a horror story. I guess all makes suffer the odd "bad Apple". But even worse than the gearbox problems was thebehaviorof the service VW "peeps" (love that expression).

I worked at a large new car dealership, and all the un-important jobs usually get given to the young "new" boy/girl, or the apprentice, who more often than not has not got a clue.

Glad you got a refund and hope and pray my Up is perfect.

·
Registered
727 Posts
xPROXYx said:
Hope you guys have Up's that are flawless, its an awesome car....think i just had really bad luck! :(
Mine appears to be flawless, took delivery of it mid May and have put 6,500km on it without a problem.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Always a shame to hear of horror stories and your's is not the first and sadly the last. It was good that you were able to secure a refund and order another nice car as the Polo R Line does look good. You did the right thing getting rid of a lemon though I would have done exactly the same.

·
Registered
16 Posts
jezyg said:
Always a shame to hear of horror stories and your's is not the first and sadly the last. It was good that you were able to secure a refund and order another nice car as the Polo R Line does look good. You did the right thing getting rid of a lemon though I would have done exactly the same.
I agree with the above. Having looked closely at the UP and the Polo, I would take the Polo every time. Good to hear that VW behaved honorably in the end.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks....Im really happy that they let me get the refund but then again, it was exactly what i expected since i got the car 29/06/2012 and since then its been on "service" 9 times...thats just not ok. Poor little Bender just did 4700km with me.....i actually thick that i put on more miles on the cars that i got to borrow while Bender beeing in service

When I was looking to buy the UP they actually had a great price on Polos, but the UP looked way cooler, and i was thinking that id rather have a fully equipped UP (insurance and gas is cheaper too) than a sneaky Polo.

VW have indeed behaved well and since i got a really good price on the Polo i guess that made up for all the frustration as well.

This time i'll name my Polo after a smarter cartoon character and hope for the best...thinking about Pingu

·
Registered
430 Posts
It's worth knowing that one of these gearboxes has actually failed, up to now the complaints are mainly noise related and the odd crunch! Hopefully a one off but good to know you got rid without a legal battle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am waiting for my new Up to arrive later this week and am now wondering if I've made the right decision - seems like a lot of people are having a few problems. Saying that- I had a new polo for 3 years and had loads of problems with it - noises (esp braking noises if it hadnt been driven for a few days -the noise was terrible!), misty windows always, doors not shutting properly etc. oh well- will soon find out!

·
Registered
176 Posts
AV6 said:
... now wondering if I've made the right decision - seems like a lot of people are having a few problems.

I think that's being a little unfair. People who are (very?) interested in the up! are on this forum. Generally only the people who have a problem raise the issue on the forum while the great majority do not write in and say they are having no problems.

Extend that across the UK and you have the same thing. A very small minority have problems (that appear to be addressed by VW) but the vast majority are trouble free.

I would certainly take this forum's views into account but it should not put you off buying the car.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Agree 100%.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fair point! I had loads of problems with my new polo and still did, even after 3 years of having it so hopefully the Up won't be bad as that! Also, some of Up's problems on this forum seem very similar to the polo too and most those problems didnt even bother me enough to consider them as problems worth complaining to VW about nor has it put me off buying the Up. Like any new car - the Up will have a few teething problems which most of my new cars had. Maybe reading the negative posts did make me think twice about getting another VW but I still happy that i chose the Up and am looking forward to my new Up and hopefully it will be better than the polo I previously owned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont know anyone thats had so much problems with a car, and i know a few UP and Polo-owners. I simply loved my UP but sadly it didn't love me back, and considering all the problems i would still recommend an UP any day! If i'd lost all trust in VW i wouldn't have ordered a Polo, so they must have done something right

If issues accrue there are warrenties so don't worry, I'm sure your UP would be just fine and that you will love it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Glad I didn't find this site before I ordered my Up . I would not have bought the car reading all these horror stories.
Taken delivery of my UP ,great little car, no noises from gearbox,no water leaks, great little willing engine. I made the right choice and went for this and not a new PANDA.

·
Registered
176 Posts
As has been stated before, you have the vocal minority complaining about their cars.

By far the greater number are those completely satisfied with their up's and don't feel the need to proclaim their love on a message board.

If there were major issues with the car then you'd have heard about it in our national press and VW would be defending their corner.

It also doesn't help when people post about specific problems yet strangely seem reluctant to hassle their dealers. That's what the warranty is all about, pass the problem back to the dealer, and be persistent.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have done 10000 kms on my up on aussie roads..no probs at all. Still as smooth as baby bum ,doesnt matter its a highway, country or city road. Done 740 kms in a single tank once. Really happy . Up is the way to go.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Bang on. There will always be a small number of rogue cars of any model but 99·9% of them are fantastic.

I have 2 and they are both spot on.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ive not had an hesitation in ordering my UP. Just upset with the length of time before it is ready. Wont pick it up until November... I have had a lot of company cars before, including 3 Passat's and 2 golfs. I worked a Field service engineer (Computers) and used to drive a lot of miles... and found the VW the most comfortable cars.. company changed to Opel Astras and Zafira's, and they were the worst for comfort..and the Zafira used to loose all power on the autobahn, and had to stop in the hard shoulder and switch off 5-10mins and back on for it to start working normally again. 12times into the dealer... Company swapped it for an astra after that.... the comfort was so bad I had 8 weeks of physiotherapy for my back and shoulder... not good... When i left the company, had to buy my own car so I got a Passat... and In November my new Cross UP!... I live in Germany... and this model is only available here... So don't be put off by negative comments.
A lie or bad comment will go around the world twice before the truth and positive message has its boots on.. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts