Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Another newbie here! Ordered a 5 door candy white move up! Last weekend and will be picking up on Friday. I was just wondering if any of you could give me an idea of its performance in the snow please?

Was stuck in my stupid 1 series for 3 hours last night because of the snow, can't wait to get rid of it!!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
705 Posts
It's front-wheel drive so will be better than a rear-wheel drive car. But four-wheel (or more) drive is better still. But it doesn't matter how many wheels are being driven if the driver doesn't know how to drive in the snow.All controls need to be used slowly and gently. Sudden lurches will mean a loss of traction and thus control.

Nick

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've had a nerve racking morning, deciding whether to pick mine up!, but did got for it in the end, he's been good as gold, don't worry!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Echo that....Ours are unstoppable in snow with winter tyres on.

and we live deep down in the countryside with loads of the white stuff!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! The guy at VW was making fun of the BMW and said I'll find the up! To be far better in the snow

Can't wait to get it now, typical that we had to get this snowfall before getting my new car lol

·
Registered
811 Posts
Last winter I had a BMW 320D which was undrivable in the snow. In contrast, the Up is unstoppable. I have just driven up a hill which had kids sledging down it with no drama

·
Registered
45 Posts
Rubbish in a word. Fancy having traction control with no button to switch it off. But a set of winter tyres will change all of that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hate to contradict, but I've had our Mii all through the winter, running on standard tyres and handling has been very good. Much better than previous Leon which slid everywhere on fat tyres.

·
Registered
265 Posts
markup said:
There are no such thing as winter tyres....That my Opinion...if you are on ice nothing will Grip
Spiked tires mate

Now the 520d I drive is so much fun in the snow! Plus it's really nice and stable when I just need to get from a to b

This December I drove it a 100 miles during a blizzard, I got so fed up with driving behind the slow snowplows, spraying salt everywhere, that I simply overtook them :) this was on regular turanza winter tires Edited by: Mulo

·
Registered
811 Posts
I've never seen the need for winter tyres and am unlikely to be convinced. I have just driven to Ashbourne through snow drifts literally as high as the car without any need for special tyres or messing about with traction control. I am mega impressed with the way the Up copes with snow.

·
Registered
587 Posts
My Take up! has been great so far in the snow, the skinny tyres cut through the snow dead easily. Our F20 1 Series is grounded when it snows as RWD without winter tires renders it pretty useless, a previous E87 on runcrap tyres was also bad. If we did more miles I would get it inter tires.

A any car on winter tyres though will be more than a match for any 4x4 on summer tires. Autocar have done a video of a 2WD drive Yeti on winter tires v 4x4 Yeti on summer tires.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/winter-tyres-vs-4x4

·
Registered
393 Posts
Has anybody had any experience with the "eco" tyres as fitted to my Bluemotion? If so what was it like?

·
Registered
462 Posts
I agree with the winter tyres be excellent however if I had them on still changed to the summer wheels 2 weeks ago when we had nice weather

Agree with some of the comments on rear wheel drive cars and snow hence why I bought a 4 wheel drive home from work tonight in case it sumps the snow down tonight !

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've never spoken to anyone who actually tried Winter tyres (in Winter), and then went back to Summer tyres (in Winter). Every person who I've spoken to who isn't convinced has never actually tried them (they just imagine what they're like). The only objective way is with real, hard data. That's from e.g. onboard GPS dataloggers, lateral G-force meters in bends, braking tests on cold dry tarmac (+7 degrees or colder), cold wet tarmac, and snow

Watch this test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elP_34ltdWI

Summer tyres turn to Bakelite in Winter. You can say you've driven on them for forty years, etc. but when the test REALLY comes your way, like a child runs in front of the car or something, the Bakelite will speak, and it won't be pretty...

Racing teams change to different compound tyres when the track temperature changes by as little as 2 or 3 degrees.

In Germany and Scandinavian countries, you will get a fine if you drive on Summer tyres in Winter. That's after huge amounts of data were gathered.

It's not an insult to your driving skills to use Winter tyres. If you're a good driver, you'll be even safer on Winters! I am qualified to Advanced Driver level, and have racing experience, but use Winters for 6 months of the year (ahem: seven now!).

·
Registered
523 Posts
Well said that person!

I'm a convert, infact I have just dropped a work mate at home who's car has been stranded. No probs :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is by far the worst car I have driven in snowy conditions in Sweden.

Its short wheelbase makes it very nervous and the stability control have to work very often when driving on the highway and changing lanes or for some other reason cross a string of built up snow.
Because the Up! is so light wet heavy snow strings is the worst for the car.

I love my Up! in many ways but F31 BMW, W205 Mercedes, Volvo V50 are superior cars for highway driving in snowy conditions. I guess any other car with a longer wheelbase and some weight in it is better than a Up! but those 3 cars I can compare with the Up! because I have driven them a lot.

But I agree you won't easily get stuck in a Up!

Edited by: EMMHMMS

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wet thick snow is the worst even with winter tyres. I have hakka7 studs on mine and I'd still like to know if there is a way to disable ESP? Maybe its the old same ABS off --> ESP off? Thats only for when it really gets stuck not for traffic. Coming from Quattro its a big step down obviously but nothing I can't manage with some patience.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts