Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I alone in my thinking about my Three week old UP. I have had many new cars in the past, when I was working I had company cars replaced every Two or Three years. I am now retired and have purchased a few new cars myself I have had Three Renault Clio,s and a Kia picanto the latest model, But I am much more excited with my Up than any car I have had before I just cannot wait to get in it and drive anywhere.I cannot quite put my finger on why.
Would be great to here of any other daft old farts like me.???????

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi miketedl. I'm not old (39), but like you I've had lots of new cars. My Up! is now my 18th so far and most have been company cars, but I feel the same, as you and cannot wait to get in my little Up!. As you say, there's something about it that I can't put my finger on that makes it such a cracking car!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think it comes down to the fact that the Up is fun to drive. I've owned many cars and it is always the fun ones that you relish a drive in, not the ones that may be faster, better equipped, more 'prestigious' etc.

Personally the Up puts big ticks in boxes in terms of noise, turn-in and the ride/handling mix so if I can't take our other car (a Merc costing 3.5x as much as the Up) I never feel short changed by taking the smaller car for the day.

Edited by: juux

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I too have had many many cars in my day, from a smart to a mercedes GL

There are only 2 cars I have had that were as much fun as the up, A mini cooper S (the supercharged one) and a smart roadster which was an absolute blast!!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have not had so much fun in a car since I had a Hillman Imp. I bought it new for £576.00. It cost that much because I wanted a heater!!! I have had numerous cars since then including BMWs but I absolutely love the Up!Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
592 Posts
Blimey, same here - great (old fart) minds! Hillman Imp (new in 1971), Supercharged Cooper S "Works" (last year) and 2 Smarts. All good fun.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I also had a Daf 44 if you remember them. It was forward to go forward and back to go back using a variable driving belt. I used to call it the Chicken Chaser!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
This is great, I'm feeling positively young reading about these old motors!

Actually toyed with buying an Imp instead of the Up, but they are thin on the ground these days and Mrs J wasn't altogether convinced they're the safest of places for the young ones!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I'm pleased you said old motors and not old farts although I must confess Iam one. I chuckle when I read some of the complaints on this forum. When I started driving there were no such things as remote central locking, heated seats, heated mirriors, electric windows. As previously posted having a heater was an optional extra.

·
Registered
532 Posts
juux said:
This is great, I'm feeling positively young reading about these old motors!

Actually toyed with buying an Imp instead of the Up, but they are thin on the ground these days and Mrs J wasn't altogether convinced they're the safest of places for the young ones!

My nephew was an imp enthusiast. The body shell is made of cheese, there is no crash protection. They are hard to get handling well, there is little power and little cooling, etc etc.

The up is a complete world apart.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Beevee said:
I'm pleased you said old motors and not old farts although I must confess I am one. I chuckle when I read some of the complaints on this forum. When I started driving there were no such things as remote central locking, heated seats, heated mirriors, electric windows. As previously posted having a heater was an optional extra.
Haha that made me laugh! As a 24 year old I find any car with out the 3click indicator thing as old fashioned! And wind down windows what are these??

·
Registered
397 Posts
Beevee said:
I had a Hillman Imp. I bought it new for £576.00. It cost that much because I wanted a heater!!!
Ah! So you bought it before the (modest) price increases, effective 7 Oct 1969! Then IMP became £570 4s 2d, IMP deluxe £611 19s 9d and SUPER IMP £657 6s 5d. Heater was £16 6s 5p extra, Heater blower was £6 10s 7p and Reclining seats were £16 6s 5p. Metallic paint was NOT offered on these versions (only on the Californian, "the debonair Imp" for £6 10s 7p.)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Pub bore fact - the Imp engine was derived from a fire pump "Coventry Climax" engine, who also made very high revving race engines. And.......just for our "younger" members:

Hillman Imp
<t></t><t></t><t></t><table ="info="" hproduct"="" cellspacing="3" style="font-size: 11px; border: 1px solid rgb170, 170, 170; : rgb249, 249, 249; color: rgb0, 0, 0; margin: 0.5em 0px 0.5em 1em; padding: 0.2em; clear: right; line-height: 1.5em; font-family: sans-serif; border-spacing: 3px; width: 22em;"><t><tr =""=""><td colspan="2" =""="" style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center;"></td></tr></t></table>

Edited by: Truth-seeker

·
Registered
448 Posts
Beevee said:
I also had a Daf 44 if you remember them. It was forward to go forward and back to go back using a variable driving belt. I used to call it the Chicken Chaser!!
Daf 44... takes me back. A friend of mine had one and if I remember rightly, if you had the nerve ,you could chase chickens going backwards as fast as forwards due to the variable drive.

Go well.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Itzben said:
Beevee said:
I'm pleased you said old motors and not old farts although I must confess Iam one. I chuckle when I read some of the complaints on this forum. When I started driving there were no such things as remote central locking, heated seats, heated mirriors, electric windows. As previously posted having a heater was an optional extra.
Haha that made me laugh! As a 24 year old I find any car with out the 3click indicator thing as old fashioned! And wind down windows what are these??

I learnt to drive in a car without even wind up windows. We had a mini with sliding windows. The door opened with a lever straight into the lock. The door skin was all you had between you and the fresh air. Brakes didn't work at all, no power and you had to have the hands of a three year old to do a service.

Water used to splash up over the distributor and cause misfiring. The gearbox was in with the engine oil so it whined like fury due to thin oil.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Happy days though!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Good days certainly.A friend of mine who learnt to drive and lived in North London had a minivanand because of where he lived never used full beam. As the dip switch was on the floor it became my job to use!! Memories galore

·
Registered
532 Posts
Oh God, the button on the floor!!

I remember coming back from the pub with three mates on board. I was pushing the brake pedal so hard i nearly bent the steering wheel.

Another mate had a mini automatic. Surely one of the slowest accelerating cars ever built.

·
Registered
851 Posts
PeterWestSussex said:
Beevee said:
I had a Hillman Imp. I bought it new for £576.00. It cost that much because I wanted a heater!!!
Ah! So you bought it before the (modest) price increases, effective 7 Oct 1969! Then IMP became £570 4s 2d, IMP deluxe  £611 19s 9d and SUPER IMP £657 6s 5d.   Heater was £16 6s 5p extra, Heater blower was £6 10s 7p and Reclining seats were £16 6s 5p. Metallic paint was NOT offered on these versions (only on the Californian, "the debonair Imp" for £6 10s 7p.)
It wouldn't surprise me if - allowing for inflation - the up is actually cheaper than the Imp! Anyone know the inflation factor from 1969 to 2013 prices?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The price of petrol then was 22.5p a gallon you could buy four gallons and get change from a pound. Using that as a multiplyer would make my £576 Imp be just shy of £16.5k!!Edited by: Beevee

1 - 20 of 76 Posts