Up Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

We bought a new VW Up! a few weeks ago - an ex demo so a great bargain. It claims to do 72 mpg...

This week I took it out for a good run.

I have to say that I am even more impressed with the Up! After a 420 mile drive to beyond Cardiff and back and experiencing 70 mpg on the way ""“ at 55/60 mpg and 4 hours to do 210 miles I am still impressed. We got stuck in traffic on the way back and tried some 70 mpg driving and it dropped just a little bit to about 66 mpg. That gives us an overall 68 mpg without really trying so a good bit better than my 996's 24 mpg on a similar journey. It was quiet and did perform when I need to get out of the way so I cannot grumble. My only difficult ""“ and its my fault ""“ is that I tried a few times to shove the gearstick into 6th gear, which it doesn't have. And given that reverse is there ""“ it made a bit of a noise. The problem lies in that I am encouraged to get quickly out of third or fourth so I think ""I'll bang it straight into sixth gear""� and of course there is no sixth gear. So at £38 return for the two of us ""“ its even cheaper than the train. I cannot get over how quiet the car is even at speed ""“ although the downside is that I can hear the fan and various other whistles at 70 and I guess that is because the lack of road/engine noise means I can actually hear ""˜other stuff'.

Still 10/10 J

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Great post. Good to hear from someone else who appreciates the wonder of the Up!

·
Registered
811 Posts
That's very true. I have owned Ups for 18 months now and am still pleasantly surprised how good they are for a small car.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Nice plate. Sure I've seen it on something before though.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heartagram said:
Nice plate. Sure I've seen it on something before though.
It was on our 'one of the first, magazine featured, Newbie' for a long time and then our 1.4 Sport Lupo.

I've seen it on cars/plates on display now and then and giggled about them 'faking' my plate :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Were/are you on Club Lupo? Was the Lupo Jazz Blue by any chance? I think thats where I must have seen it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts