Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I experimented with the Think Blue modules on M & M to see what difference they make to my economy. The results were pretty interesting. On my 38 mile commute I normally average 48 ish mpg. Going to work this morning I stuck to the guide in the Cruising screen and got 60mpg. Result!! Coming home I followed the Gearchange module and only managed 54mpg. Anyone else tried this?
Edited by: Allybasher

·
Registered
261 Posts
I keep trying to stick to the cruising/gear change but now she is run in I cant help letting her 'go' - luv the sound of that engine lol..... but still averaging 48mpg around town so Im happy. MPG is getting better all the time so Im happy.
Wife says she cant get used to the car telling her 'what to do' cos it doesnt 'sound right'
"why break a habit of a life time and start doing as you are told now" I said
... that didnt go down too well

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I must admit that I have only done it once to try it out, I love the noise of that little engine and don't really mind paying a bit more to hear it. 50mpg is fine by me.

I find that my wife is a much more effective enforcer of gentle driving than Think Blue. I can turn that off.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've also had a couple of goes with the Blue trainer. I find that it does improve your MPG, but I also find that it keeps telling you to change up a gear, or go into 5th up hill. Obviously the car doesn't know about the gradients, so I use the suitable gear for the situation to save it labouring, which costs you on your MPG. On the whole I think it's a handy tool. I generally get 60+ MPG going to work and between 50 + 54 coming home depending on traffic. My best yet is 68 on a trip into Derby. Also I'm getting about 400 to a tank, which is a lot better than my 61 plate 1.0 ltr Yaris that I had before, and that had a bigger fuel tank!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thats music to my ears M re the fuel figures - we were sorta considering going back to a Yaris ( we had a first generation T spirit D4D for 8 years which was awesome tbh however the newer designs didnt really float our boat ) then I discovered the Up! and was hooked. So glad we did :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Bob Up said:
Thats music to my ears M re the fuel figures - we were sorta considering going back to a Yaris ( we had a first generation T spirit D4D for 8 years which was awesome tbh however the newer designs didnt really float our boat ) then I discovered the Up! and was hooked. So glad we did :)
Hi Bob. I was the same as you, the only new Yaris I liked the look of was the Hybrid, but at about 17 grand was a big No No. Also the hybrid is only any good around a city centre in my experience and there's no benefit over a diesel on dual carriage way or motorway. Your better off going for a much cheaper economical petrol, unless you really need the torque. I was also thinking about an Aygo, but they were WAY too basic for me! It was a no brainer going for my Up! Really glad I did aswell.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hi M - totally agree ( I just posted a comment re Toyota Service on the Honeymoon over thread - all good!)I had a few courtesy cars from them including Aygo - **** basic ! and various new type Yarii which I found very disappointing compared to the 1st generation - the quality feel inside & out dipped when they updated IMHO. I reckon VW have pitched it about right for the price.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I also agree. I've had a mark 1 & 2 Yaris, but the latest one was poor quality in my opinion. I also think VW have got it right & I work at Toyota.

·
Registered
113 Posts
M4796P said:
I also agree. I've had a mark 1 & 2 Yaris, but the latest one was poor quality in my opinion. I also think VW have got it right & I work at Toyota. 
Do you not get a good discount on a Toyota?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi Lee. I get VAT off, but I've found that the dealer can match it or beat it in some cases, so I don't bother anymore. I wish I could get discount off VW though! Ha, ha!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts