Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am really hoping you can all offer some advice, so a couple of months ago I took my beloved lil gti to the wonderful lot at jbs and had a remap done, I had filters changed and had eibach spacers and springs fitted, I am made up with the power bump, 145bhp is more than enough in the lil rocket, the miltek exhaust is amazing also, however...... the springs seem to have loosened up and I now seem to spend my life avoiding pot holes to avoid the crash bang wallop and bouncing all over the place, I need to resolve this and hoping I can get some advice??? What's the most cost effective way to rectify this? I'd also found the stock tyres do not deal with the power bump very well, anyone know a great tyre for a lower up gti??

This forum has been amazing in the past so thank you all in advance for your help.

·
Registered
513 Posts
If you didn't replace the cars original shock absorbers with higher quality items, designed to work with shorter springs, then that's probably the reason for your suspension problems.

The original shocks were never designed to work with Eibach lowering springs, and the ride quality will bound to suffer.

Unfortunately it will require extra expense to rectify the problem.

Invest in some Bilstein B12 shocks to compliment your springs, then you should get the ride quality your after

Why Bilstein, well their some of Germany,s highest quality shock absorbers, and they have a full set for our Gti

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
For once the welsh guy talks sense.

The problem with the stock dampers is they aren't very damped, in fact there is hardly any damping in there to speak of at all, so when you couple that with lower/harder springs you end up with a pogo stick as i found out.
Now you have a choice as what i'm about to say you won't like either as I got the Bilstein dampers to go with the H&R springs i had installed. The Bilstein are FAR better dampers in that they actually have damping and control over the spring BUT they don't make the ride any softer at all, just better damped. You'll still crash through things but the movement will be better controlled if that makes sense. Plus you can't adjust them.
The problem is the springs in being that low are just too stiff a rate for the little car (or at least mine were) and couple that with the basic chassis set up/stupidly low profile rubber and you get what you're experiencing now. And yes it did my head in as well.

My advice: stick the stock springs back on and look to invest in GOOD coilovers. As for tyres the stock Goodyear are garbage, i use Dunlop Sport Maxx RT and they seem to be a good all rounder. That said everyone will have an opinion on tyres but most of the premium brands you can't go wrong with. If you want grip then go Michelin but they will wear, Dunlop are a good in-between.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all, slightly depressing as I told the guys at jbs I didn't wanna keep any of the old stuff, I like the stance of the car now so would be gutting to put stock springs back on but if that's the way it's got to go I guess I will have to, may look into the bilstien first, are they expensive?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Thanks all, slightly depressing as I told the guys at jbs I didn't wanna keep any of the old stuff, I like the stance of the car now so would be gutting to put stock springs back on but if that's the way it's got to go I guess I will have to, may look into the bilstien first, are they expensive?
As much a half decent of coilovers, looking at about £400 for the set.

Fully understand about the "stance" aspect as they do look so much better when they are dropped a little bit. Tbh though i quickly tired of the car after i changed my suspension around, the new owner ended up putting the stock springs back on with the Bilsteins and he reported back it was much better.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your input, if I added the bilstien with the eibach springs what kinda ride would I have?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Try some 205/40/17 tyres 1st would be my advice we put some Dunlop Rt2's on within the 1st couple of weeks. The standard tyres are pants anyway so nothing to lose and lots to be gained.... It's looking like coilovers from one of the better brands is the best option if wanting to go lower

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dont want to go any lower but like the stance the eibach springs and spacers give the car, I basically want it to look exactly the same, but ride better without the bouncing, it's already horrible over potholes so dont think I will ever tick that box lol

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Dan you need coilovers. No two ways about it. Ride will be better and you can have it any height you want. Keep an eye out for second hand ones as they dont have to be from a GTi. Mine were off a TSi. I find the ride from my STX to be better than on the standard shocks and springs, yes its firmer but its a better ride, and the handling benefits are awesome. Im in Surrey if you want to come and experience them. I literally think that they are the best mod on my car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Danbo your always here to help =) I may well take you up on that as not a million miles from me

·
Registered
140 Posts
Like Danbo says you can get coilovers set up to exactly how the car is now and hopefully with a much improved less bouncy ride 👍

·
Registered
513 Posts
I was lucky to obtain my Bilstein B14 coil overs, from Deamon Tweeks, for just over £400 delivered.

I am unsure why they were advertising them at such a discounted price, but they arrived directly from Bilstein, through Deamon Tweeks.

I simply was not prepared to blow the budget and get the KW V1 coilover set, as they were nearly £380 more, nearly twice the price.

They are slightly better quality, being constructed from stainless steel, but on arrival, I was more than happy with the German quality of the Bilstein B14s, their light years ahead of the standard VW shock absorbers.

Looking at them recently, you can visually see the budget constraints that VW must have been under designing the car, the suspension components, even the springs, look like their not going to last years of use.

Our 2004 Lupo is still wearing it's original suspension components, and they have been exposed to so much sea spray and salt, that they must have used the highest quality components known to man.

The B14 coil overs are a fully matched set, made specifically for the TSi models, both 90hp and 115 GTi model.

If money is a little tight, especially after Christmas and New Year, think about saving hard for the Bilsteins.

You can get a set of coil overs made by Stance, but as the saying goes, there is no substitute for quality, and in theory the more you spend, the higher the quality.

The ride comfort of any car, is important

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Thank you for your input, if I added the bilstien with the eibach springs what kinda ride would I have?
As i stated before it would still be hard just better damped. I would look at coilovers tbh for what you'll spend on the Bilstein dampers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
anyone know a great tyre for a lower up gti??
The stock tyres on the Up! GTI are absolutely dreadful, I changed them within a week of owning the car.

Personally, I'd recommend fitting Pirelli P Zero tyres.

However, Dunlops would be a close second if your looking for a cheaper option. I actually used Dunlops for a good twelve months and they were great.

Recently changed to all Pirelli - Had them fitted for about a month now. I've found that not only do they outperform the Dunlops (marginally) in regards to grip, they actually suit the car a lot more.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
The stock tyres on the Up! GTI are absolutely dreadful, I changed them within a week of owning the car.

Personally, I'd recommend fitting Pirelli P Zero tyres.

However, Dunlops would be a close second if your looking for a cheaper option. I actually used Dunlops for a good twelve months and they were great.

Recently changed to all Pirelli - Had them fitted for about a month now. I've found that not only do they outperform the Dunlops (marginally) in regards to grip, they actually suit the car a lot more.
Had P-zeros on cars before now, great tyre.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all, money isn't really an issue, it's dealing with the looks from the mrs when she realises I'm spending more money on it I cant be dealing with lol, tyres are an absolute must as the power bump just makes me wheel spin on the stock so will definitely go with one of your suggestions in the near future, i will probably go to coilovers also as all the money spent is pointless if i dont think it's perfect,

Can thicker tyres be added when it has been lowered? That surely would help the ride?

If anyone comes across any well priced links for the coilovers whilst browsing please post,

As always really appreciate your input

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Check willtheyfit.com to see how changing tyre will affect things.

But the size is only one of the factors. Performance tyres also tend to have softer compounds etc which all lend to a better ride. The Goodyear are very hard as are most "efficiency" tyres.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts