Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something to consider. I have just picked up my new High Up. I originally ordered a Move Up though on Options finance, with a deposit of £2800 and monthly payments of £99.When I thought about it I decided that I would really have liked a High Up, so I called the dealer and asked if I could change my mind and what the cost difference would be. I was amazed to be told that the deposit would be £3000 but the monthly payments would be the same. In other words the High Up was only £200 more. Needless to say I went for the High Up. It is due to the better residuals after 3 years apparently.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Well that's very interesting! I bought a move up on PCP in November and was budget focused which I guess is why the dealer didn't didn't talk through other options.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was dithering on this decision when I ordered and then i worked it out and the extras on this car really are a bargain.

Glad you got the High up for that price, what a bargain. YOu might even save £99 a month on fuel from your current car so the car is effectively free? :p

·
Registered
47 Posts
What Car in their 2013 car buying guide award the VW High Up! the best car in its class award and state that the High Up! is the version to buy/own because you will notice the power difference out of town and they claim it is the cheapest of the variants to runover a 3 year period because the depriciation will be lower/residuals much strongerthan for the take or move specifications.
vup rider

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think the difference was negligible because both cars were in standard spec. When I was looking, I noticed the monthly payments went up dramatically when you start adding lots of options - because any options are paid for in full during the contract period and the final value/payment doesn't change. This would seem to suggest a 'fully loaded' car is going to be worth little more at the end of the period.
A large part of the reason for switching to the up was reduced cost of ownership, so I went for a High Up plus only the options I really wanted. As a result I'm £300 per month better off!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not quite £300 per month better off unfortunately. My main reason for buying a brand new car on PCP was to save money so I went for the boggo car, options are desirable but the standard High Up has everything I really want.

The main reason I wanted a High Up rather than a Move Up was the 75bhp engine, but I really think that it is the best one to get as an overall package. The Black and White are nice but the extra cost is all for cosmetics.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forgot to mention the best bit, I got £6500 for my Focus so I got £3500 cash back. If I can keep my hands off it, my 36 x £99 is covered so the car costs me nothing as well as saving on fuel and insurance.

Result!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The High Up GFV is £5100, the Move Up is £4200

·
Registered
430 Posts
Worth considering a High Up then especially if planning to change again at the end of the 3 year deal. If you plan to make the final payment and keep the car then that's a different storey.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Im paying a similar amount through Skoda for my Citigo and I plan to keep the car after the contract comes to an end because I want to see how many years hassle free motoring i'll get out of it!!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Allybasher said:
Needless to say I went for the High Up. It is due to the better residuals after 3 years apparently.
I'd agree. When I P/X'd my Nissan Qashqai, I tracked it via AutoTrader. It disappeared very quickly (so I assume it was sold!). I put this down to the fact I had the top model TEKNA (albeit only the 1.6 petrol engine) plus several extras on top of that (two of which the factory added at no extra cost to me and which surprised the Dealer when the car was delivered!)
I've never believed the argument that extras don't add any value to the resale value (apart from the obvious ones like vivid colours which could be a turn-off). The more extras, the better the choice for the next purchaser - who does not have to use them, but can't have the option if they're not ther in the first place!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I agree that more options are likely to make a car more desirable and easier to sell, but don't necessarily make it worth more.

To my eyes this thread is more about a better specification version of the up! (a High Up) being more cost-effective than a lower spec model on a PCP, particularly if you keep to the standard specification. A High Up will have a higher residual value (than a Take or Move up!), but a High Up with lots of options will, accordinging to VW Finance's view, be worth little more - hence the final payment being the same.

My up! is saving me a fortune, based on a 2 year PCP in comparison to my previous BMW 1-series (on a four year contract) - which I handed back at the earliest opportunity. The 'hidden' costs were starting to get on my nerves - not least of which was the £800-900 I was paying for tyres every year!

Incidentally, for every £1,000 of options I could have added, my monthly cost would have increased by c.£45 for the 2 years. A sobering thought.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts