Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery of my new High Up last Friday. It's a 63 reg so just drove it this morning for the first time. I'm always looking for a great deal for whatever I buy and get most of my stuff off the Internet. So when looking for a new car I did the same and purchased from a online car broker called www.drivethedeal.com.

I did try to purchase from a local VW dealer and visited two. But the best discount on offer was £300. Drivethedeal gave me £950. I went for a Red High Up 5 door, with a red dash, leather look seats and sensor pack. The 2014 modle which I got now comes with 4 speakers and full size spare wheel, so no need to pay for those options. I also purchased the 3 year servicing plan for £249. VW are currently offering free insurance for 1 year so I also went for that as well.

You pay Drivethedeal the deposit of £500 which comes off the discounted price and then a VW main dealer contacts you to arrange delivery. I dealt with a VW dealer in Kent.They then deliver the car to your door, you check it over and if happy pay the balance. The driver who delivered the car then spends about an hour taking you through all the functions and features before leaving.

The car is full UK spec, supplied by a genuine main VW dealer and comes will all the same warranties as any other UP. Why would you buy in any other way.This is the second time I have used Drivethedeal, having purchased a Volvo S60 in 2006. Edited by: Rooster

·
Registered
44 Posts
That sounds good. Is the car brand new or pre reg delivery mileage? Can you do a part ex once you speak to the dealer? Also can you pick up the car yourself instead of letting a driver deliver it to you,or is the dealer too far away?

In the past i have a got price from internet dealers,and then asked local dealers to match the price.Most times they have been able to.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You can pick up from dealer. I asked if I pick up myself do I get anything extra as it would save them getting a driver to deliver.
They said if you pick up yourself you will get full tank of petrol and some car mats.
But they did assure me that there drivers drive carefully when delivering customers cars.
I live over 200 miles from where I will be picking my car up but I still want to go and collect myself.
Peace of mind š—

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car was brand new, a factory order. I don't know about part exchange as I did not have one, but most dealers would take a car in. It just depends on what they offer. I have used webuyanycar a couple of times and have had a better price than the dealer was offering.

You can collect the car youself if you want to. I live 200m from the dealer so it seemed sensible for them to deliver it to me. They do drive it to you so of course there are the delivery miles on the clock when it arrives.I thought they might of used a trailer but that would mean 200 miles of fuel vs a one way train fair.

It is definatly worth telling your local dealer about the Drivethedeal price to see if they can better it. In my case they could get nowhere near. I asked the guy who delivered it how they could offer so much more discount. He said that Drivethedeal order 50 cars a month from them. That moves them into a much higher discount bracket from VW on all cars they stock. Not just the UP models. So they make the money back that way.

I was also told that if somone called the dealer direct that they may even get a better deal as they would not have to pay Drivethedeal the £200 commission.

EDIT - I have been advised that it is not good form to disclose the dealer I dealt with on this forum. So if you want to know then just inbox me and I will email you the contact details..Edited by: Rooster

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my case it's a real pain to get to Kent, at least three trains. I could have gone down in our other car but it's a Landrover Discovery and 400 miles at 25mpg is not cheap.Apart from a few flys on the bonnet, the UP was in perfect condition when it arrived. The guy who drove it was an x policeman with 30 years in the force. He did a very proffecsional handover. Edited by: Rooster

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the info Rooster and D3ftones. Glad you both like your cars.I have worked in the past for car delivery firms and also at the car auction where i drove just about every car made. (I am now retired) Some drivers were ex police or ex Driving Examiners like myself,but i still would not want anyone driving my new car for so many miles before i got it,so i would pick it up myself.

I once bought a New Panda 100 HP list price £10500. The internet dealers had it priced at £8000,so i printed out the details and went to 4 Fiat dealers to see if they would match the price. They all said they could only give a £1000 discount. I went to the final Fiat dealer on the last day of the month when they wanted to make their sales targets to get their bonus,and they matched the £2500 discount,so i bought the car from them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts