Up Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen horrendous feedback on the Up! automatic - does this apply to models up to 3 years old? My daughter would prefer the automatic gearbox but I'm worried that I'll saddle her with a drive that is worse than manual

Help!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yes you will get everyone calling the automatic rubbish on here. You should know the box is an automated manual in so much as a computer changes the gears instead of you having to. However as far as the driver is concerned it is an automatic.

I had the same auto box in my Smart and i thought it was excellent. It is best if you drive the car nice and relaxed. If you drive at max revs with your foot to the floor the auto changes will be jerky, but drive calmly and the box is perfectly ok.

I wish my UP GTI would have been available in automatic, but all my future cars will certainly be automatic, Mini, Aygo or any Electric car.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
As per TEST DRIVER - the gears are shifted, and the clutch controlled by solenoids, all controlled by a small computer. It's basically a lash-up, and anecdotally is unreliable. It is nowhere near as nice and smooth to operate as a proper torque-converter based auto box (or even a DSG, or a CV box)....

The manual 5-sp works well (especially post-facelift), but if your daughter must have an auto, then seriously, look at a different car....

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I agree as above, not a good solution for this car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Get her to persevere with the manual box, if she starts to use an auto she won't go back and that will limit her choice of car in the future, I know most cars are available with autos but they are very limited on the s/h market, my own lass didn't enjoy driving especially using a gearbox when she started but now she'll go anywhere anytime and loves it.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
If the daughter is still quite young, she may only ever have one or two more manual ICE cars after the Up!, as these are being replaced with entirely automatic electric cars at increasing pace. Used EVs could soon be priced affordably...

Enjoy a manual while she still can!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your responses. I did more or less know how the ASG works. I think I was really interested in finding an actual Up! automatic user and getting their feedback. TEST DRIVER unfortunately does not count as he/she has not used the ASG in an Up!

Hopefully I can reach an ASG Up! driver...soon...?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
As said, we have collectively observed reliability problems at least anecdotally, but few here have tried one...

Expensive to fix when they play up, as very few garages properly understand how they work, being rare cars (meaning "fit costly new bits until the problem goes away", because pinpointing the problems are hard).

A few who do own ASGs can be found on the Briskoda site - some people love them, but others have reported they are clunky to drive, especially in stop-start traffic, or for low speed manoeuvering, as you'll appreciate, knowing how they work.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Thanks everyone for your responses. I did more or less know how the ASG works. I think I was really interested in finding an actual Up! automatic user and getting their feedback. TEST DRIVER unfortunately does not count as he/she has not used the ASG in an Up!

The auto box in the UP is the same box that is in the Smart and also in the Toyota Aygo. It has now been fitted in the latest Hyundai i10 and Kia Picanto.

I have driven 4 Aygo automatics and found them to be nice and smooth. I owned my Smart automatic for 10 years and did not have the slightest problem with the auto box. Again nice and smooth and 100% reliable.

I do not need to drive an UP automatic to find out how the car reacts when i have driven many cars with the same auto box including driving one for ten years.

If my UP GTI would have been available in auto i would not have hesitated in purchasing it as an auto.

In the end you or your daughter need to test drive the car. Its the only way you will satisfy yourself. I hope you find one.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I'm surprised it's "the same box" - sure, a similar operating principle perhaps, and it's hard to know about comparative reliability...
But yes, there's nothing like trying an ASG as well as a manual Up! before buying...

The young lady should test the seat heating too :)

·
Registered
19 Posts

Try contacting Citigoer - see string about ASG warning light!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts