Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So I've only every had the one car since I passed my test which is my Mk1 Golf which I love to hate. I havefinallydecided to cut theumbilicalcord and get a new car. Although I love my mk1 i do now crave something newer, more comfortable, economical,quieter.....(the list goes on)

I've been looking over the forum quite a lot over the past week since I've been thinking of buying a up! and am almost curtain its the car for me. I have a test drive book for nextMondayand if all goes well and I like it as much as i think I'm going to I plan to put the deposit down and order.

Just a few questions really, I've decided I want the maps and more as i love the geeky stuff, also I have gathered from other users on here the sound pack is a must so I'll be getting that. A spare tyre is also helpful so that's a tick.

I've decided that the 60p engine isenoughfor me as I rarely speed anyway but am considering the blue motion with start and stop. Hmmm

So questions..

Are there any otheroptionalextras that you would see as a must?

Also would you go for the blue motion with start stop? i.e is the fuelconsumptiondramaticallybetter whichoutlaysthe risk of the start stop having gremlins...ect?

Thanks
Grant

P.S any other advice you wish you had got before you ordered would be nice

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Hello and welcome

Good luck with your test drive.

Don't be conned into buying GAP insurance from the dealer, but I'm sure if you've been reading the forum you already know that

·
Registered
851 Posts
Hi Grant, welcome to the forum. Your list is very sensible. The only thing I regret not ordering is the sensor pack. However, as you're getting m+m, it probably would have no benefit for you anyway!
I have start/stop on my current car and find it annoying - even though you can turn it off. So I'm very glad my up will not be a BMT!Edited by: AlanG

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Am i right in saying the sensor pack also comes with cruise control?

If so I may consider it as I broke my right ankle years ago and on long journeys I get really bad pain after its been in onepositionfor a while.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Blue Motion = no road tax saving £20 per year. And the residuals on Blue Motion models may be higher if other Blue Motion VW's are anything to go by. Around town with a lot of stop/start you will notice the difference in fuel consumption but if your trip has little in the way of stop/start and is a longer journey it wont' make any difference. And you can always turn it off.
It is an extra £360. It really is down to how many miles you do in a year. If you are a high mileage townie driver then it has to be worth it as the difference is around 6mpg around town.For 12000 townie miles the difference in fuel consumption is 26 gallons based on VW quoted urban figures.

And if you visit London you don't pay a congestion charge which is a BIGBlue Motion tipping point for London drivers.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Grant25 said:
Am i right in saying the sensor pack also comes with cruise control?

If so I may consider it as I broke my right ankle years ago and on long journeys I get really bad pain after its been in one position for a while.
Yes sensor pack gives you cruise control, rear parking sensors and multi-function computer and costs £350.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Re the start stop, it's good if you do plenty of miles ie keeping the battery topped up. I had it in my last 2 minis and it would work once in a blue moon! It will only work if the battery is at an acceptable level, outside temps, car temps and loads on the engine like ac.

Had a listen to an up black without the sound pack, and I ticked the box. Granted I haven't heard a car with it. I picked the sensor pack as I wanted cruise, you also get PDC with it too.

·
Registered
705 Posts
There is always the option of switching the ignition off on a standard car, which I do when waiting at traffic lights.

Nick

·
Registered
525 Posts
Welcome to the forum Grant. I went for the BMT after a bit of dithering. At the worst it won't cost you anything over a few years and if you drive a lot in town it will definitely save you money, especially with the relentless rise in petrol prices. I didn't want the m and m. I already have a handheld gps and an iPhone and another satnav seemed unnecessary, especially as I didnt need the Bluetooth phone either. You get a gear change indicator on the dash anyway to help you be economical, and the m and m mpg figures are reportedly very optimistic. But if I was ordering now I think I'd get the sensor pack for the cruise control and the computer info. Having said that, I love my up! It's a terrific little car!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the welcome everyone. So think I may now skip the bmt and get the sensor pack instead as seems to be a good swap.

I've been looking over the gallery and really liking the look of the leather seats.

Anyone that's got them are they worth the £650? Some leather seats in cars can be horrible and at quite a pricey option I would like to know your opinions? (I mean the feel and quality. Not to look because they look great. Lol)

Polohtp
Have been running mk1 for 5 years know. Built it from a bare shell. Can post a picture if anyone is interested. Edited by: Grant25

·
Registered
532 Posts
I am looking forward to the mand m. 32gb of good flac sound files.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I love my seats, they do look very well made and set the car off a treat. The white stitching is very classy IMO. I'm sure I didn't pay that much for mine, but I may be wrong or it may be because I had a black up and there was a discount, but I could be completely wrong.
They are easy to clean and wipe up a treat.
Please note though that they are not 'leather' but leatherette. Edited by: bugbabe34

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So after my test drive today I'mconvincedabout the up!

Think I'll be going for a white move up! with sensor pack, sound pack, spare wheel, fixed servicing and maps and more.

As people said the sales person hadalreadymentioned about gap insurance. I just had a lookon-lineand you can get this cover for £85! So thanks but no thanks. lol

Have aappointmentonWednesdayto discuss more and place a order.

He said about 2/3 months from order to delivery.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts