Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm currently looking for a replacement for my Fiesta Titanium which was recently stolen. It's been a nightmare few weeks - not least because it really was my dream car and finding something different has been really hard. I'd not heard about the Up! till my boss mentioned it but everything I've seen since has been really positive.

I went to my local VW dealership today and spent best part of two hours chatting with the salesman and going on a test drive. I must say I was far more impressed than I thought I would be. After a fairly rotten couple of weeks I must say it was great to get behind the wheel again and the Up! did make me smile!

I'm trying to decide whether to go for a 3 or 5 door. Given recent events I'm a tad more paranoid about security than perhaps I'd normally be and I'm wondering how secure the pop out rear windows are?

Any other tips would be really great!

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am intending to buy the entry level five door. Pop out windows were notorious for becoming unglued. Glue is used on aircraft a lot but car makers cannot seem to get it right with windows, rear view mirrors etc. I get the impression dealers are not really aware of the demand for the UP. You have to get most questions answered seeing youtube reviews or searching online. I visited my local dealer a few days after the Electric UP was launched and the dealer had only learned about it that morning! I had been waiting months for the start date. I'm wondering about fitting a trailer for carrying light goods at times. Because you don't need to buy a trailer you can hire them. The reason I want the basic UP besides the novelty of wind up windows which I used to help make is the steel wheels. Faults you might read online can be disheartening. The worst I have read is water ingress from the front. Its hard to correct things like that if tha VW dealer does not help.

·
Registered
851 Posts
MarathonKaz said:
Hi,

I'm currently looking for a replacement for my Fiesta Titanium which was recently stolen.  It's been a nightmare few weeks - not least because it really was my dream car and finding something different has been really hard.  I'd not heard about the Up! till my boss mentioned it but everything I've seen since has been really positive.

I went to my local VW dealership today and spent best part of two hours chatting with the salesman and going on a test drive.  I must say I was far more impressed than I thought I would be.  After a fairly rotten couple of weeks I must say it was great to get behind the wheel again and the Up! did make me smile!

I'm trying to decide whether to go for a 3 or 5 door.  Given recent events I'm a tad more paranoid about security than perhaps I'd normally be and I'm wondering how secure the pop out rear windows are? 

Any other tips would be really great!

Thanks
If your Fiesta was your dream car, then why don't you get another? Perhaps the Zetec S appeals? Very sporty and all round lush looking!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Seeing that you live in Essex, wouldn't a Corsa or Saxo with blacked-out windows, ultra low profile wheels and a dustbin-sized exhaust suit Sir better? :D

Nick

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's a gang of thieves stealing higher end Fords at the mo and I gather there's no signs of them stopping. Not willing to chance it

·
Registered
277 Posts
I changed from a Fiesta Titanium to a High up and am really pleased with it. The build quality is much better. The only thing I miss is the heated front windscreen. I didn't want to get another fiesta as ford just seemed to keep jacking up the price while build quality was declining. I had two mk7 fiestas and the second was definatley not as well put together as the first.

·
Registered
851 Posts
MarathonKaz said:
There's a gang of thieves stealing higher end Fords at the mo and I gather there's no signs of them stopping. Not willing to chance it
I've not heard of any ups being stolen. But then, if you were a thief, why would you steal a 1 litre car? Plenty of breakins have been reported though to steal the M&Ms. I guess they're easy to eBay.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks mogwai - good to hear from someone who's made a similar move! Heated windscreen, along with auto lights/wipers and cruise control, are things I'll miss but I'd lived without those on all my previous cars so I'm sure I'll manage!!

I'm a Smarties gal AlanG so hopefully I'll be ok

·
Registered
851 Posts
MarathonKaz said:
thanks mogwai - good to hear from someone who's made a similar move!  Heated windscreen, along with auto lights/wipers and cruise control, are things I'll miss but I'd lived without those on all my previous cars so I'm sure I'll manage!!

I'm a Smarties gal AlanG so hopefully I'll be ok
Peanut M&Ms for me - but only in the cinema. By the way, you need not give up cruise control if you opt for the sensor pack. I've just ordered my 2nd up and this was top of the list. It also gives rear parking sensors and multi function computer - so, good value IMHO.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I find the FL Fiesta bit fussy looking TBH. The High up! Would offer a decent spec and overall nice place to be. Handling is nearly as good as the Fiesta. Up! Is only a four seater and boot is smaller. If neither of those matter then the up! will do the job. The VW badge carries a little extra kudos as well as slower depreciation as a general rule.

As Alan said sensor pack is a very reasonably priced option for cruise and rear PDC. I think the three door looks better than the five door, but found the heavier doors did need a harder shove to close and harder to get out of the car in tight car parks and a garage if you have one. They are cracking little cars.Edited by: jezyg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input guys. I rarely have more than one passenger so four seater is fine and as long as there's room for shopping and to cart my stuff round when I go on race weekends/hols then that's good.

I'm in a bit of a new versus used dilemma at the mo. Still that's better than the 'where the heck do I go from here' dilemma I've been in since the Fiesta was stolen!

·
Registered
296 Posts
had a Fiesta diesel about 4 years back - and five KAs over the years. To be honest the Up is in a different league - certainly out paces the KA - but quality of build on the UP is superior. Have covered 2200 miles in five weeks and loving it. Cannot wait to get it on a decent twisty country road to use some of the power above 3000rpm - meanwhile am doing a sedate drive. Like another one here I do smile every time I look out the window and see the Up. And the bonus is that my wife and I can share it without having to move the seat position. I do miss the KA's memory on the driver's seat - it remembered exactly where you had it positioned and went back perfectly. Perhaps my only grumble so far. Grandchildren now ALWAYS go in the passenger side.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Race weekends! MarathonKaz Tell us more.....Oh! I have just realised you Run Marathons?

Foolish Old Git syndrome kicking in again, I'm afraid.

Go well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi MarathonKaz - sorry to hear you had your Fiesta stolen.

I changed from a Fiesta 1.6 Zetec S (old model: 2005 - mk 6?) and have had no regrets.

The difference in power output is hardly a handicap apart from having to get used to driving a smaller engined car - no problem once you get used to it. I miss the heated windscreen I must admit.

I'm still bowled over by the up's 'bigger car' feel - when behind the wheel it's hard to believe I'm driving such a pint sized car, even on motorways. I also love the car's quality feel - it feels like a premium product through VW's clever use of up market looking/feeling materials in the right places.

One option to maybe consider is the sports pack which gives you 16" alloys and lowered suspension. According to 'Car' magazine (who have this on their long-term test up!) this sharpens the handling at no real cost to ride quality. I mention this as the Fiesta is particularly known for its handling/roadholding prowess, so if you felt the up! was not quite as sharp it may be worth considering. I'm overall satisfied with my car's standard set up though - maybe others with the sports pack may have their own views on this.

In view of your favourable impression of the up! during your dealer visit/test drive, it sounds like you'd enjoy the car. Whatever you decide, hope you get mobile again soon.

·
Registered
90 Posts
MarathonKaz said:
Sir is a Madam so I need somewhere for my handbag and stilettos
Madam, I do apologise. May I be so bold as to suggest the make-up lights with enlarged rear rear-view mirror and pink fur trim option?Edited by: NickInSurrey

·
Registered
90 Posts
Seriously, I am sorry that you had your car pinched. It may be worth calling a few dealers to see if they have a suitably specified demo vehicle they are willing to sell. Don't expect much of a discount though if they smell an enthusiastic buyer.

Nick

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not in the strongest of positions as I need to be back on the road asap. It would be enough of a faff to be without a car for a few weeks but add Christmas into the factor too and it's a nightmare! Also having no car to get to garages I'm limited to where I can look. I have been looking at ex demos, or at least v low mileage cars, and the salesman knows that's the route I'm thinking of going. The salesman at Inchcape in Romford was, as I said, really helpful and said that when I'm ready he'd find me a car - would even go to a different dealer for me if they have want I want. He even said I could call him any time whether I decided on a VW or not. I appreciate that a successful salesmen has to be a good people person but some are better than others and go out of their way just that little bit more.

Nick, I'm liking the make-up lights but pink is not a colour that features in my wardrobe. Now turquoise is a different matter ......

Lol NightOwl. Yes, marathon running is my bag. Keeps me out of mischief at the weekends and gets me to all sorts of places - some more glamorous than others. Milton Keynes this weekend - I'll let you decide the glamour level there!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts