Up Owners Club banner

thinking of buying this used up (but looks strange

6K views 40 replies 18 participants last post by  jezyg 
#1 ·
hi

im hoping somebody might be able to help me on this
im looking at buying a used high up, & found one but it dont look right!
did any high up models come with steel wheels and manual door mirrors?

#2 ·
NO, high ups have electric mirrors, body coloured mirror caps (chrome if up black or white) and alloys .

there are plenty used ups around so if it smells dodgy, just walk away

#10 ·
I see this disclaimer at the bottom of the page advert page...
Please noteThe data displayed above details the usual specification of the most recent model of this vehicle. It is not the exact data for the actual vehicle being offered for sale and data for older models may vary slightly. We recommend that you always check the details with the seller prior to purchase. *Fitted as standard. To help you understand the technical data read ourFAQ

up... more like 'Done UP like a kipper'.... Stay away... best advise from Privatedoc and Supermegamonkey...

#15 ·
Looking at Auto-trader and searching for High UP... it is noticeable that this pricing is way to cheap.

The next High UP listed is at 8450£ with 21K on the clock... (bit to high price for mileage)
If I then select up to 5000miles in auto-trader you find that the price jumps to 8700£ with 3800miles on it. this is closer to the money you would be paying for an High up.

So the just from the pricing of this car puts it in the Take UP bracket...

The trader is trying to sell to someone who just does not know, and does not check... who thinks he is getting a bargain...

You want to be certain of the UP you are looking to buy, try a VW authorised reseller.. be armed with the specs of the cars. Note down the VIN Number and look on line or your local VW garage.

Dealers are there to sell cars.. and some will try and sell you anything... Some are better than others.. I worked as a car salesman for a while... a long time ago, but hated it... so I got an insight into how they work. (Every person that walks through the door IS GOING TO BUY A CAR) this is the mind set of the salesperson. Main Dealers are less so, the smaller independent garages try to sell more aggressively.
Since then I don't trust any sales person... and I make them work, before I decide to buy.
and if i feel uncomfortable I will walk away.

Do yourself that biggest favour... Walk away from that Car... It feels all wrong. Don't try and convince yourself it is OK etc... clearly the trader is hiding something with this.. as clearly its not an High UP.

If you do go to look at a car, get a friend to go with you, or better still you can get an independent AA evaluation of the car. if the trader won't allow this.. RUN AWAY.

Be Safe, Buy Well... as it is **** out There.

#16 ·
I think it will be a con. Had you verified with him where the car actually is ? I wouldn't be surprised to hear he says it is in Aberdeen and that he will arrange to have it sent to you after payment. Gumtree, Autotrader and others are full of chancers' who are looking for a fool.

They also mix and match others photos, hence you can get mismatch interior photos to external etc.

#18 ·
I dont necessarily think its a con - its just 'not a straight car'. Its either not a 'high' Up! In which case £5600 might be about right(if still not on the low side) or its a high up spec and someones swapped wheels/mirrors etc - either way I would walk away.

I dont think its necessarily fair to label the guy as a con artist.

our 13 plate take up was £6800 as an ex demo with 2000 miles so £1000 saving with somd risk isnt worth it in my book.

#19 ·
I wouldn't think somebody would put a few high up parts on a take up then try to pass it off as a high up then only get take up money for it, lol
It's been smashed up at some point repaired as cheaply as possible, I thought the seats might be from a take up, would be interested to see if the heated seats work, lol

#20 ·
note no maps and more either!

#22 ·
I agree with jezyg.I have a "Take Up" and this car is very different to mine.Seems strange that so much has been changed, It might have M&M,as the blanking plate seems to be there..for the " stem"...but if so why not advertise it?

I would say ..leave well alone...there are plenty of others out there.

Go well.

#23 ·
As said before - DVLA shows 74bhp CO2 values registered for that car.

Money is that it is a High Up - bits that suggest otherwise are the easiest / cheapest to replace, whereas the dials will be more involved than wheels / door. Most probably a crashed car
that has been cobbled back together with whatever was available om ebay.

#25 ·
Buy a new one.......much easier........then you don't need pages of obvious chat..........

#26 ·
Obviously chat is important.....It can lighten the mood that might be prevailing.....and reduce some of the tensions that might be building up.We are not people chatting in our local pub....Our responses may take some time to appear here. Answers.....informative or rather trivial banter are all important...all part of this great Forum....IMHO.

Go well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.