Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is a crazy money wasting idea, and I would appreciate any opinions/comments.
When I was originally looking for a new car I almost bought an Up. However due to a very bad experience with the local VW dealer, I went and looked at the Citigo. I realised I could get more for my money with Skoda, and being a sensible sort, went with the sensible choice - a Citigo Elegance, which I've had since August 2012. Ideally I would have got the car in silver with privacy glass and the sound pack, but I didn't have the patience to wait for a factory order, so I got a car already built in candy white with no extras other than a spare wheel.

I generally like the car very much, I've had no problems with it at all. BUT, every time I see an Up I get a little pang! For me, it's just a funkier looking car, and the interior instruments etc are just that bit more classy. Yes I admit it, I wish I had bought an Up! I also regret buying a white car (it rarely looks clean) and I am fed up of the seat entry mechanism on my 3 door - I often need to access the back seats (not for passengers, just to put stuff in the back), and unfortunatley I bought my Citigo before they changed the model to include easy seat entry - it's so annoying fiddling with the seat to get it back into the right position every time.

Basically I am hankering after a High Up in tungsten silver with the sports pack (I want those gorgeous triangle alloys and privacy glass) and dark silver dash. I would get another 3 door (assuming that the High Up now has the easy entry seat mechanism). When I bought the Citigo I got a bank loan to fund the balance left after my trade in. Looking at current trade in values for my Citigo, I should get enough to pay off this loan in full and put down a decent deposit on an Up on PCP. The monthly payments would be the same as the monthly payments on my current back loan. However, if I keep the Citigo, it would be fully paid for in two and a half years (ie my bank loan would be paid off). If I get an Up on PCP, in three years time I will still owe about £4k on it.

So is this is a completely mad, wasteful and terribly indulgent idea?

·
Registered
851 Posts
It's very similar to what i'm doing. I bought a 3 door, candy white move up in Nov 12 on a PCP and i'm currently awaiting delivery of a 3 door high up in tungsten silver with the sensor pack also on a PCP. My excuse to myself was that my commute has lengthened dramatically and the old PCP mileage limit was too low. I've helped cover the funding by using the same dealer that Drive The Deal use and so achieving a comparable discount. This is the exact spec of car that, after a year of ownership, i know exactly what i want. I have also gone for the silver dash because my current gloss black dash suffers badly from reflections and dust.Edited by: AlanG

·
Registered
251 Posts
This is exactly why I went for the Up! I knew I would always feel ever so slightly inferior in a Citigo / Mii and the few hundred pounds you save on the cheaper two is easily recouped when the time comes to sell. Residuals on the VW will always be higher. It's daft, I know, but that's the way the human psyche works

Having said that, I am quite happy with my mid-range Cool Up! and do not hanker after one of the higher trim levels at all.
Edited by: UpMan

·
Registered
58 Posts
First I went for test drive to SKODA dealer and I loved this little car and how it drives. Then I went to VW dealer (on my way from work) to see differents between twins(CITIGO and up!).
In the next few days I ordered white MOVE up! with ASG.

I'm happy that I did't save money and bought SKODA.

After 13 months still smiling when driving my up!

·
Registered
448 Posts
So is this is a completely mad, wasteful and terribly indulgent idea?
[/QUOTE]

Of course it is my friend, stick with your Citigo, which by the sound of it, has served you well.
However we are all Human beings and have unfathomable emotions, and if every time you see an Up, you want one then you will never be completely happy.
I tested all of the alternatives to the Up, and decided to pay the extra to get what I wanted. I can honestly say I have had no regrets.
We only live once, so let your heart and instincts rule your life on the odd occasion.

If you want an Up..Go for it. Most of us here have no regrets!

Go well.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Great words of wisdom as always Night Owl. I am pleased that I went for the Up! but I'm sure the Citigo and Mii are also good. Sometimes the only choice is to follow your heart.

·
Registered
198 Posts
No regrets here either gone for a white up, but I did catch myself thinking if perhaps dirt would be less noticeable on silver, and 5 doors would be more practical, and upcoming hybrid up would only use about 1/4 of the fuel, quite possibly less than that for my typical driving patterns... it makes sense that it would also need oil and filter changes less often...

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Naaa wait for the GT , but really, yes...go for it....You get one go at life...enjoy it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't know if it's only me but I MASSIVELY prefer the looks of the Citigo and the Mii for that matter to the Up!

In particular the 3door Up! Looks silly, almost toylike with the upswept side glass.

·
Registered
251 Posts
davidif said:
I don't know if it's only me but I MASSIVELY prefer the looks of the Citigo and the Mii for that matter to the Up!

In particular the 3door Up! Looks silly, almost toylike with the upswept side glass.

It's you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
UpMan said:
davidif said:

It's you.
Well actually I don't think it is. In the City that I live close to there are dealers for each of the 3 brands with the VW dealership being by far the biggest (and with probably the poorest reputation locally) yet I see more Citigos than Up!s or Mii's.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the comments all. This is definitely one of those heart versus head issues, I know I should keep the Citigo, but...

I'm going to be arguing with myself about this for a while yet, so not going to rush into anything, well probably not anyway
Now if I can just tear myself away from the VW car configurator...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Once you've bought your car, you will loose too much money changing to VW, so don't do it! Unless, you really want to change your specifications- say you got the lowest spec but you really want the extra stuff on a high up, well that's more of a reason. But to people who haven't bought yet- go for VW ! Every time I see mine on the drive or in a car park my heart skips a beat! But I just preferred the Up look which is personal.i'm sure the driving is the same whatever make.

·
Registered
430 Posts
All that glitters is not always gold! personally I'd never again change a car that was serving me well unless my needs had significantly changed that I really had no choice. However, I was brought up in the bowels of Yorkshire where 'if it ain't broke' don't change it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
In my view the Up looks much more special, both inside and out. You therefore lookforward to driving it much more.

I was initially interested in the Citigo Elegance - but it just seemed so boring and drab
inside and slightly boring outside. Mind you boring is also sensible as they don't use a glossy dash!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Alan_M said:
I was initially interested in the Citigo Elegance - but it just seemed so boring and drabinside and slightly boring outside.
+1 The Citigo has a stupendously dull front end (like all Skodas).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UpMan said:
Alan_M said:
I was initially interested in the Citigo Elegance - but it just seemed so boring and drabinside and slightly boring outside.

+1 The Citigo has a stupendously dull front end (like all Skodas).

This is the thing - when I'm out on the road and I see an Up coming towards me, it always makes me smile.But whenI see another Citigo coming towards me I'm always shocked by how incredibly dull and boxy the front end looks. It doesn't help that I keep seeing them being driven by the more mature motorist (no offence to anyone, it's just not how I see myself quite yet!).

However, none of this is a good reason to throw away a load of money trading in a car that's not even two yearsold- a car whichdrives beatifully, and which has none of the issues some peoplehave (window misting, clutch clicking etc).Thanks to Goldfive and Rickenbacker for speaking to my sensible side, although being Yorkshire born and bred is what got me into this pickle in the first place, as I went for the more frugal, functional option over what I really wanted.

I think I'm going to keep the Citigo for now, at the veryleast until it's three years old, athough I will keep my eyes peeled just in case there are any deals on the Up which are too good to miss
I suppose I could always think about getting the Citigo's rear windows tinted, and maybe some black alloys to jazz it up a bit.

In the meantime let this be a lesson to anyone who is looking for a car right now. If you can afford it, get what your heart desires and not what your head tells you!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alan_M said:
In my view the Up looks much more special, both inside and out. You therefore look
forward to driving it much more.

I was initially interested in the Citigo Elegance - but it just seemed so boring and drab

inside and slightly boring outside. Mind you boring is also sensible as they don't use a glossy dash!

Yeah, the gloss black dash was the only thing I didn't lreally ike about the Up - looks great in the the showroom but Ithink the reflections whiledriving would really bother me, andI imagine it's a nightmare to keep it looking good. This is why I would go for a dark silver dash if I everdo buy an Up, I would thinkit is more practical.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Having owned a High UP now for 4 days with a glossy white dash, I have to saythe reflections really annoyed me on day 1 - to the extent that I was beginning to regret
buying the car. On day 2 it slightly annoyed me, and now I don't
really notice the reflections at all, but I do like how the gloss dash looks. It is still one of those
odd design decisions (like the rear parcel shelf) which only very slightly mar an otherwise great car.

Can anyone confirm that Dark Silver dash doesn't reflect as badly as
the black or white. It is still glossy as far as I can see in the photos.

·
Registered
296 Posts
comment above about ratios of Mii and Citygos compared to Ups - the VW dealer has a poor reputation I think answers the question. Cars may be fine but a good dealer is worth their weight in gold.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts