Up Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm considering buying an Up! with the 60ps manual engine. My question is, do you find the power of the 60ps version adequate for overtaking other traffic on motorways. I know that the 75ps is said to be alot more relaxed for doing this, but shifting down into 4th if necessary to overtake <u style="font-weight: bold;">briskly[/u]wouldn't be a problem for me. All the better if I could stay in 5th but I'm aware this may not be possible. I currently drive a 1.8 Vectra so you can imagine my concerns about downsizing so much. I'm doing this in the name of fuel economy btw. I currently get 35mpg at best.

All comment welcome. The more the better!!! Please share your experiences with me.

Thanks in advance guys/girls,

drive safe.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I recently travelled from Germany to London and then on to Leeds and back in a 60ps BMT with absolutely no problems never once felt that the car was underpowered.I have to admit I had very little luggage and I was on my own.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
collos25 said:
I recently travelled from Germany to London and then on to Leeds and back in a 60ps BMT with absolutely no problems never once felt that the car was underpowered.I have to admit I had very little luggage and I was on my own.

That's some distance of motorway driving!! lol. I'd probably have a passenger with me if doing motorway driving so it'll be interesting to see if any other members on here can comment in that respect. Thanks for your feedback, it's much appreciated

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I drive a 60PS move up!, and have never had any concerns. I do a bit of m'way driving, and it never bothers me, but then when I drive it I am aware that it is a tiny little 3 pot, so wouldn't expect to be shifting from 60-80 in fifth in any hurry. The gearbox is there to be used and does a good job.
I have not once wished if forked out extra for a few more ponies.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Davec86 said:
I drive a 60PS move up!, and have never had any concerns. I do a bit of m'way driving, and it never bothers me, but then when I drive it I am aware that it is a tiny little 3 pot, so wouldn't expect to be shifting from 60-80 in fifth in any hurry. The gearbox is there to be used and does a good job.
I have not once wished if forked out extra for a few more ponies.
hey, thanks for that feedback. Can you comment on journeys with passengers on board? Make much difference with say one extra passenger? Thanks

·
Registered
176 Posts
Before I bought mine I had a couple of days each with both engines.

I ended up buying the 60PS BMT. I don't participate in traffic light grands prix, nor do I cruise at 100 on the motorways, nor do I often have more than myself and one other in the car.

In the real world I think you will not notice any difference. On a motorway I stick to around 80 ish and sure, up a long hill the speed does drop, but not sufficiently for you to think that you need to drop a gear.

The car will sit all day long at that sort of speed without feeling that exterior noise intrudes or that it is underpowered.

I'm sure this post will now be responded to by owners of the 75PS saying otherwise, but my best advice to you would be to make sure you try both engines before you buy.

Whichever you choose I think you'll love the car; After 6 months I still enjoy it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I had no choice. High up! only available with 75PS. If performance is so similar (and I don't doubt others' experiences) then I wonder why VW goes to the trouble of offering a choice and to the bother of having two so similar components!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I do the M3 5 days out of 7 and she's fine at 80mph and I've never felt underpowered, even with a passenger as I've had this week. 60ps is more than enough for me!

·
Registered
587 Posts
The 60ps is more than adequate off the mark it is quite nippy. Accelerating onto a motorway it feels no ball of fire and for a swift overtake you do need to change down and use the revs a little. But will happily cruise along at seventy and I have never truly found it out of its depth. Only when fully loaded with four people do I feel it struggle slightly. The 1.8 Vectra however is no ball of fire ether and the up!with a slightly more eager engine will not be that far behind performance wise.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jezyg said:
The 60ps is more than adequate off the mark it is quite nippy. Accelerating onto a motorway it feels no ball of fire and for a swift overtake you do need to change down and use the revs a little. But will happily cruise along at seventy and I have never truly found it out of its depth. Only when fully loaded with four people do I feel it struggle slightly. The 1.8 Vectra however is no ball of fire ether and the up!with a slightly more eager engine will not be that far behind performance wise.
excellent info there. Thanks for that. I will likely only have myself and another in the vehicle. So it's sounding good.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have one of each and to be absolutely honest most of the time it is impossible to find much difference between them. Both cruise very comfortably at or above the legal limit on the motorway with something in reserve and both will overtake a couple of lorries on a fast A road. Maybe the 75bhp feels a bit more relaxed at 85mph but the 60bhp is perfectly adequate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
uphu said:
jezyg said:
for a swift overtake you do need to change down and use the revs a little
That's where the 75 has the advantage.
Yeah, seems others have said the same. Recon I can live with that though considering the cost difference lol

·
Registered
583 Posts
With small, low powered cars, a good habit to develop is an efficient / economic driving style where you don't brake all too often, and carry a fair bit of speed through the corners.
Then get on the gas early - no real danger there, with only 68 HP and 90 Nm in the CNG up!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Depends on what you are use to ! Will cruise at 80mph without to much fuss but if there is a steep hill will slow down quite a bit, if you are thinking of going on motorways a lot would get the 75ps version and if you buy on a PCP Type of finance agreement not as much difference in the monthly payments as you would think

1 - 17 of 17 Posts