Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's taken me months to learn to ignore the gear change indicator. Do I really need a display on the dash to tell me what gear I'm in and when to change gear? No! They've lent me a Polo while mine is in the garage and the trip computer tells you all kind of stuff, just like the m&m. How much of it do I really, really need? Almost none of it. The thermometer with the ice warning is genuinely useful, and so is the clock, but all the mpg stuff is not that accurate anyway and in the end it is just one more distraction. It's a car, not a 747.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
851 Posts
After reading all the posts from people saying they had weird noises when they travelled at low speeds in top gear I had a feeling they were religiously using the gear change indicator and the funny noise was probably the engine being laboured. So right from the start I decided to change by the rev counter and keeping the engine speed at about 2k which it seems to like. I'm not getting the best fuel economy figures - but equally - I'm not getting any funny noises either!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
I've never trusted the gear change indicator since it told me to go into fifth when going uphill (this was a steep ass hill). I'd rather lose out on fuel economy compared to being pushed down to a crawl. Manual driving is and always will be the only way to drive, no computer beats human intuition
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
The gear change indicator is not useful even as a guide, I have no idea what is there for, even if it was on the button who needs it? Even the most inexperienced drivers should know when to change up or down gear by listening to the engine tone. Can anybody at all give an explanation as to why VW would fit such pointless device like this to a car? Is possibly another crazy recommendation by some dullard in Europe who puts pressure on manufacturers to reduce emissions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Rickenbacker said:
The gear change indicator is not useful even as a guide, I have no idea what is there for, even if it was on the button who needs it? Even the most inexperienced drivers should know when to change up or down gear by listening to the engine tone. Can anybody at all give an explanation as to why VW would fit such pointless device like this to a car? Is possibly another crazy recommendation by some dullard in Europe who puts pressure on manufacturers to reduce emissions?
Think you've hit the nail on the head there pal. Any gimic they can sell to people whether they claim it lowers emissions or as in the case of the salesman when I purchased my up! "you'll get better mpg"... I beg to differ!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
619 Posts
I don't look at the gear change indicators any more - to me they now just seem to be a bit of a gimmick, unless you drive on roads with no hills etc.

As with all machines, a car engine has a 'sweet spot' where it will perform at its best (perhaps not at its most fuel efficient though). To me the Up seems to go better if the revs are about 2k rpm when going through the gears. When cruising in 5th, 60mph seems optimal i.e. in the sweet spot where it is turning smoothly and quietly (compared to other other engine speeds). Just my impression...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
I've never followed the gear-change indicator, and personally think it's a pointless thing. It wants you to change up too early, labouring the engine like mad. Then you need to give MORE gas to get anywhere!

I also have the same indicator in my Scirocco, which is NOT an economy car, and yes it is the same...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
yapmaul said:
Do I really need a display on the dash to tell me what gear I'm in and when to change gear?
I have yet to experience this indicator as my up! doesn't arrive until the New Year. But I suspect where such an indicator is REALLY needed is with DIESEL engines (which as yet does not apply to the up!) I walk into town a lot and it never ceases to amaze me how many drivers of diesels over-rev their engines. They clearly have no idea of the difference in RPMs between petrol and diesel engines to get max torque. (They used to put Torque/RPM graphs in the car brochures but I've not seen such a graph for many years now. Whenever I ask people the difference between driving the two types of engine, they have NO idea at all).
Some years ago I spoke with a colleague at work as to his new company car (diesel). "It's fine on the Motorway but around town its a dog!" I explained about max torque at 2000 rpm for the diesel - as opposed to 3000 (or more) rpm for a petrol engine. I told him to change into second gear AS SOON as the wheels are turning - whatever you do don't rev it to accelerate in first gear - get into second or 'block' change if road conditions allow. Weeks later he told me "Thanks - it's a different car!"


Edited by: PeterWestSussex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
It's safer and better to learn how to drive economically rather than blindly follow gear change indicators.

In a traffic queue or constant speed on the flat Ok. I live at the top of a hill so I need more power, so I have to rev the vehicle to get that power.

There are other times when the indicated gear is wrong, such as for overtaking when power is all to reduce the time in which you re in danger.

Do one of these courses. They are great.

http://www.iam.org.uk/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
I have a rather heavier 3 cylinder four door Polo as a courtesy car at the moment, while my proper car is having its 'dented'bumper apron repaired. This has a gear change indicator and frankly the Polo seems too highly geared for it to go into fourth gear at 30mph which the indicator adivise me so to do. In fourth gear the body resonates or booms at about that speed and I find myself changing back up to 3rd to stop it. My partner was thinking of buying an UP or equivalent 3 cylinder variant but after this experience of boom then I don't know whether these underpowered 3 cylinder cars are the best choice to make, considering there are so many other cars out there and the omission of centre air vents seems a trifle foolhardy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
HHGTTG said:
I don't know whether these underpowered 3 cylinder cars are the best choice to make, considering there are so many other cars out there and the omission of centre air vents seems a trifle foolhardy.
It's a compromise! Yes, I'm aware there's
- NO centre arm rest (but I reckon the Seat Mii one @ £110 will work for me)
- NO centre air vents (but I reckon I'll manage without)
- NO driver's switch for the front passanger window, but I'll manage
- NO electric windows at the rear, but I'll manage (like I did for 25 years from 1970 to 1995)
- NO occasional third seat in the back
- NO centre arm rest in the back
The exposed painted internal surfaces on the front doors will remind me of our A-reg Vauxhall Nova. ....- but it's all done to keep the price down.

What sold it to me was
1) Several motoring Press reports all saying the 75PS engine is sufficient - and roadholding is good
2) It's got built-in SatNav(AND a lot more too) AND it's at high level
3) I can have light coloured seating. I HATE the no-choice options of SO MANY manufacturers - "you'll have dark/grey black upholstery and dash" - with NO alternative offered!
BUT the up! has given me a choice of several light colour options.
4) I can get the car into my 1976 not-so-generous size Laing Homes garage
5) AND
I get all that lot for £14k,
6) And I save £600/year on the running costs of the 1.6 Nissan Qashqai

The Nissan Qashqai is a similar compromise (and it was a "TEKNA" top-of-the-range model!)
a) NO illuminated window switches (except the driver's switch)
b) NO dedicated heating/fresh air ducting for the rear passengers. NO under the front seat air vents to heat the back of the car. And the fresh air vent was a grille on the dashboard that was supposed to somehow throw the air over the shoulders of the front seat passenger and driver!
c) huge protruding loudspeaker housings on the rear doors positioned in the narrowest place for access - Unbelievable!making entry/exit into the back very awkward for all but youngsters or athletes!

For me, it looks like a no-brainer. We'll see .....




Edited by: PeterWestSussex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
I heated my bum up this morning the first time I have used this. It works!

There is a centre air vent, the slots behind the maps and more. If you want directed air you can use the side vents.

I have a light interior and it's much more pleasant than the black/dark grey. I have a dark silver dash, cornsilk and browny/orange seat bits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PeterWestSussex said:
HHGTTG said:
What sold it to me was
1) Several motoring Press reports all saying  the 75PS engine is sufficient - and roadholding is good
2) It's got built-in SatNav (AND a lot more too) AND it's at high level
3) I can have light coloured seating.  I HATE the no-choice options of SO MANY manufacturers - "you'll have dark/grey black upholstery and dash" -  with NO alternative offered!
BUT the up! has given me a choice of several light colour options.
4) I can get the car into my 1976 not-so-generous size  Laing Homes garage
5) AND
I get all that lot for £14k,
6) And I save £600/year on the running costs of the 1.6 Nissan Qashqai
You will also be amazed at how good this car is for long motorway journeys. Very quiet for a small car and solid on the road at speed. You have to use the gears sensibly to get acceleration when you need it, and if you fill it with people and luggage then it does feel more sluggish, but most of the time it's just me and my bike and its fine. Really good fun to drive - hope yours arrives soon!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
I take your point of funereal interiors of so many cars and that has always been the bane of my car chosing life but I am quite happy with my Golf's Titan Black, which isn't really black at all but a tasteful Charcoal grey colour.In this case the UP is a refreshing change with the lighter cloth covers, however I am not sure of the point of speccing these cars to a level of £14k, to be honest. Can't you get a good Fiesta, Corsa or any other Supermini for that price? The only reason I am even entertaining the UP or SEAT Skoda equivalents is the fact that it might go into our garage with ease (as does our old MK4 Fiesta) and yet to be able to still exit the car.
So many new Superminis are now coming up lower, wider and longer than each car they replace thus making garaging them virtually impossible and of course any 3 dr version is worse due to the larger doors of same. So far, I have mixed feelings about these City Cars and whether they will satisfy with their obvious cost cuttings mentioned here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Maybe you should the the opportunity to test drive an up!. I guarantee you will be surprised.

I hired a Polo 1.2 3-cylinder like the one you have as a courtesy car a few months ago and it was feeble. The up! has a completely different engine, and it doesn't feel the same at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
HHGTTG said:
So far, I have mixed feelings about these City Cars and whether they will satisfy with their obvious cost cuttings mentioned here.
We have just completed our longest drive in our up! - Gatwick to Chester. Three adults + luggage.

It held its own easily on the M25, M4, M5 and M6. Overall mpg was shown as 61 (AND with sunroof open for much of the journey)- and doing 70 mph. Cruise Control was invaluable (one of the BIG reasons I went for the up! - any other City cars have this?)

As the latest WhatCar? weekly report on their up! concludes (17 May 2013) - " ......

.... If that doesn't prove that a city car is all
you need and more these days, I don't know what does."

Edited by: PeterWestSussex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PeterWestSussex said:
HHGTTG said:
So far, I have mixed feelings about these City Cars and whether they will satisfy with their obvious cost cuttings mentioned here.
We have just completed our longest drive in our up! - Gatwick to Chester. Three adults + luggage.

 It held its own easily on the M25, M4, M5 and M6.  Overall mpg was shown as 61 (AND with sunroof open for much of the journey)- and doing 70 mph.  Cruise Control was invaluable (one of the BIG reasons I went for the up! - any other City cars have this?)

As the latest WhatCar? weekly report on their up! concludes (17 May 2013) -  " ......

 ....  If that doesn't prove that a city car is all
you need and more these days, I don't know what does."
Completely agree. My ONLY regret is that I didn't get the cruise control.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,172 Posts
Can't answer your question as the Up! has centre air vents!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
I did miss adjustable centre vents in the winter. I had a warm right hand, but a cold left hand until the whole cabin warmed up. I ended up sitting on my left hand at all the traffic lights.. ( the heated seats are lovely..)
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top