Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I think there's a good few of us OAP's with them. I'm just turned 67.....

Reactions: freemansteve

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm 71, but was only a young 64 when I wanted one. But it was never released until 4 years later.
It's silver, 5 door with a pan roof.
Had it 2 years & still enjoy.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I'm only 63, and I have a Citigo.
In fairness it did come with a zimmer frame in the boot. :)
Alternatively, if you can still see, and drive neatly, stop being daft about age....

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think most owners of the UP GTI are petrol head car nuts and probably were from an early age like myself. I have never wanted a white goods type of car and have always owned interesting cars over the years.

I do fancy a Mazda MX5 for my next car so is a 2 seater soft top only a car for youngsters? I think not as i have seen the car driven by loads of older guys.

The Rover Mini was classless so could the UP GTI be the same?

Yes we are OAPs but i would like to think with a young outlook and for myself many years away from pipe and slippers. Mind you i still cant get a 20 year old girlfriend, car or not. Its a case of nice car shame about the driver.

·
Registered
184 Posts

Mx5 do it you won’t regret it this was mine , just make sure you don’t get a tot box even newish ones suffer from Rot .

·
Registered
254 Posts
Nice car. I would be interested in the latest MX5 around a year old in soul red, however i constantly say i will never buy a manual car again as i love automatics and yet once again i am talking about a manual car.

Perhaps the Mercedes SLC would be better as it is automatic, but i would worry about the electric folding roof going wrong and it would probably stop working when the roof was down and it started to rain.

I will not be changing my car until 2023 or 2024 so we will see then.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
50 soon, just collected my Gti. It's like the great hot hatches of the 90's but with airbags and not crashing backwards into a tree.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Exactly right, although I would say it reminds me of the modified cars we had in the 60's! Age 75 and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Judging by the rather large number of retired Up GTI owners on here maybe VW got its target market wrong.

Could also be that you are all fans of good value pocket rockets.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Could also be that you are all fans of good value pocket rockets.
That's more like it ! ;) I may be 67 but with a 40-odd year competition history, I can still pedal it as quick as most.........,
TBH I still think the majority of owners are much younger than us, but it just goes to show that lots of us that can remember having similarly designed hot hatches 30 + 40 years ago (Mk1 Golf Gti, Astra GTE, Nova GTE , Peugeot 205 GTi etc), still appreciate a no-frills, chuckable, relatively lightweight, affordable compact motor that does what it says on the tin in spades.
With the exception of my "toy" Lotus Elan & Alfa 105 Ti Super, it's the most fun thing I've owned since my first Golf Gti , and at half the price of a new Golf Gti, the best fun per £ you can buy.

Reactions: North London Mike

·
Registered
475 Posts
Nice car. I would be interested in the latest MX5 around a year old in soul red, however i constantly say i will never buy a manual car again as i love automatics and yet once again i am talking about a manual car.

Perhaps the Mercedes SLC would be better as it is automatic, but i would worry about the electric folding roof going wrong and it would probably stop working when the roof was down and it started to rain.
My Up GTI shares garage space with these two

I would heartily recommend either, or both, of them as an ideal companion to an Up GTI. The SLC has a 1.6 turbo engine with 156 bhp and 9 speed auto box, the MX5 has a 1.5 na engine with 131 bhp and the sweetest 6 speed manual you can buy. All 3 cars have virtually identical performance figures, which means they are more than quick enough for real world driving, without having massive amounts of power you cannot use, yet they are all totally different to drive. I love all 3 of them.

·
Registered
VW Club Up!, VW Touareg R Line 262
15 Posts
I'm in my 70s but it's the Mrs that has the Up!, great little car but couldn't have it as my only car.

Ideal city car but I prefer something smoother for longer journeys, my Touareg fits the bill perfectly.

If the Treg's running costs ever become an issue I would certainly consider an Up!.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts