Up Owners Club banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
My Up GTI shares garage space with these two

View attachment 6645

I would heartily recommend either, or both, of them as an ideal companion to an Up GTI. The SLC has a 1.6 turbo engine with 156 bhp and 9 speed auto box, the MX5 has a 1.5 na engine with 131 bhp and the sweetest 6 speed manual you can buy. All 3 cars have virtually identical performance figures, which means they are more than quick enough for real world driving, without having massive amounts of power you cannot use, yet they are all totally different to drive. I love all 3 of them.

Thanks John. Very nice cars. It would be nice to have both and keep my UP GTI but i only have space for two cars and with the low mileage i do these days it is hard for me to justify having one car never mind two.

I do like the MX5 as it reminds me of the MGB and TR6 i had in the 70s. However i love the way the hood has only one lever to unlock and back it goes unlike the 10 press studs you had to fiddle with on my old sports cars.

I also like the SLC. The fact it is automatic would be good for me and the security of the metal top, but i would worry about how reliable the top would be. Then again the soft top on the MX5 could suffer vandal damage.

I will certainly have a look at both when its time to change and i am sure i would be happy with either of them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
the 1.5 MX5 is an absolute gem of a car - I drove it back to back with the 2.0 and would take the 1.5 all day long.
Engine works better and never feels rough and the gear box and heal and toe is as good as anything I have ever driven. Its an absolutely brilliant car and I would swap the Gti for it in a heartbeat if I didn't need to carry stuff on the roof.

46 years old here.

·
Registered
VW Club Up!, VW Touareg R Line 262
15 Posts
Ideally, one of each plus a track toy or two (65: Old but not obsolete) 😁
View attachment 6686
View attachment 6687
I was still doing track days in my 270bhp mk2 Golf (remapped TT 225 engine, Quaife dif) in my 60s but got bored as tracks were getting too safety concious. I agree safety is important but at my nearest circuit it was almost impossible to overtake, not allowed on corners and could overtake on the left hand side only.

Problem was that the driving line was mainly to the left hand side so you had to rely on the driver in front pulling over, most didn't. They got blue flagged after a few laps but it did my head in 'til then.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
43 yrs!

I'm the baby of this thread
Just sneaking in at 41!

I remember discussing the target demographic with my dealer when I had my test drive nearly 3 years ago, and they were surprised that most people buying them were much older than they expected.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that for most of the older buyers the UGTI was not an aspirational purchase either, indeed quite the reverse. Power is cheap these days and an easier ladder to climb than it used to be. For me the UGTI was a climb down the ladder, after 15 years of Porsche ownership, the whole fast car thing had gotten out of hand. The UGTI was a welcome return to a car with a genuinely usable performance envelope ... just like when I was younger!

Any of the "old crew" agree?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Absolutely spot-on John. Everything new can do 100 + mph nowadays, but it's the way it delivers it, and handles on the B roads thats the key. After 18 months plus, mine still makes me smile.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yes all cars are quick but where can you drive fast these days with traffic and speed cameras?

Also look at the spec in new cars today. Air Con, Cruise Control, Heated Seats, PAS, Electric Windows. Only available on exec cars years ago like Jags and Rollers.

Next we will have Electric Cars which are also quick. The Mini E does 0-60 in 7 seconds but then you will have to pull in at the next charger round the corner for a top up lol.

I love my UP GTI for the way it looks outside and inside, all the toys, and 50 MPG. I had quick cars in the past that did 15 MPG if you were lucky, but now i am happy to drive my UP GTI which is more than quick enough for me and comfortable.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts