Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the service book today, and it looks like the Up doesn't need a scheduled replacement of this belt, just an inspection.
If thats right, then all well and good. Our golf costs £350 every 3 years according to its service book...

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I read on here and saw a pic that its a wierd shape and doesnt need replacing! I'll go search brb

Grrrr I can't find it!! Hopefully someone else will
Edited by: Itzben

·
Registered
397 Posts
My VW Service dept says 5 years (or 100k miles) for the up!

For the Golf it's 4 years if 59 plate or older. It's 5 years if younger / newer than 59 plate.
And for the new Golf 7 it's 10 years.

·
Registered
397 Posts
"My Service Schedule for the up! is coming up with Timing BELT" VW service Manager

Mmmm ... so who's right I wonder!
Edited by: PeterWestSussex

·
Registered
957 Posts
PeterWestSussex said:
"My Service Schedule for the up! is coming up with Timing BELT"  VW service Manager

Mmmm ... so who's right I wonder!
If you go to the home page on this site and look in:
VWUP! MODEL INFORMATION
There is a section on UP!engines and it states there that they have toothed cambeltsEdited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
467 Posts
shakotanVIP said:
The 3 cylinder up! engine doesn't have a cambelt, it has a timing chain.
The camshafts are driven by a maintenance-free toothed belt. It is tensioned using an automatic tensioning roller,which uses contact shoulders at the same time to ensure the toothed belt is guided correctly.A idler roller on the tensioning side and tri-oval camshaft gears ensure the toothed belt runs smoothly.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Thanks for that, bizarrely although I hadn't noticed this thread before I was wondering yesterday about the cambelt and as if by magic this appears.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Judging by the debacle VW have had with timing chains having won the Golden Carrot award in Germany for the 1.2 chain driven engine you are probably better with a long life cam belt.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Etka description can be poor.. but when you look on section 1 scroll down to the bottom it shows the stupid chain :{ ... i hate the idea of the up having a chain somtimes :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
All toyota vvt-i motors have a chain that does not give any problems at all. So don't worry, i think volkswagen has learned their lesson.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Motor manufacturers, having been moving towards timing chains because of reliabilty and longer service life - and reduced maintenance costs - are now moving back to belts.

There is no recommended replacement period/mileage for the timing chain in an Aygo and in a well maintained vehicle a chain will most likely last well beyond 100,000 miles.

In the latest engines the belt is making a return to favour because they now tend to be lubricated during operation, increasing reliability and extending life - up to the 100,000 or so miles now becoming more common.

You should bearin mind that 'maintenance free' doesn't mean the belt doesn't need replacing, but that it doesn't need adjusting etc. once fitted.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You seem to know little about chains or belts,VW have had to change them in all their 1,2 engines and selectively in the 1.4 hence the change to belts which if you look at the service book need changing at 150k.Ford/PSA have moved from chains to belts,BMW have had nothing but problems with chains in the 1 series and 3 series,Nissan have stopped using chains,The reason is they are cheaper to manufacture an engine with a belt and with long life belts they last as long or if not as a modern chain and are certainly cheaper to change when the time requires .There is no manual adjustment on belts I would agree that you need to keep an eye on the automatic tensioner and the rollers and water pumps if it is driven by the belt.Recent catastrophic engine failures in the larger VW engines has been due to a poor quality and wrongly installed peg used in the installation of the replacement belt.
I forgot to add manufactures are moving away from chains and in favour of belts hence the increase in the production of belts and the decrease in production of duplex chains Edited by: collos25

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just wondering where you got the diagram from. Because I've just realised if this is the up engine where on earth is the water pump. Water pumps are usually driven off the Timing belt or the drive belt and I can not see it on either of them.to see the drive belt web search vw up engine all you can see is the crank pulley alternator and ac compressor and tensioner .

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The water pump will be on the next belt out, the one you can see when you look in the engine bay. I think the belt on the diagram is covered behind a panelEdited by: Rednaxela

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's the alternator belt and its not on that. That just drives the alternator and ac if fitted.im a car mechanic and I serviced an up last week and saw no water pump on the alternator belt and so assumed it was on the timing belt. That was until I saw the diagram. After some digging on the web i think it's located on the back of the head and driven off of the cam, but I only found reference to the ea211 engine in tsi form.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Water pumps on some cars including BMW are mechanically driven at the side and have no invilvment with the cam belt or chain.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts