Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Top Gear, the program's most famous cars in the world, recorded for the next two weeks an episode in Argentina's Patagonia. The famous BBC show filmed a cruise down Route 40, linking Bariloche to Ushuaia. So is it confirmed to Autoblog several local sources, who participated in the production of the program during the last two months.
The photos that illustrate this paper were taken this afternoon by José Bellora, paparazzo and correspondent Autoblog header in Bariloche. The images belong to the Llao Llao Hotel parking lot, where the three classic sports that will star cruise are: a Porsche 928 GT, a Lotus Esprit V8 and a Ford Mustang Mach 1 All three have RHD..
For the uninitiated, it's a classic Top Gear expose less appropriate cars to the most extreme situations.
Everything indicates that this voyage will mark a new milestone, where
it is difficult to imagine that these three collector car can reach the
goal in the same state.
The three sports and part of the production team are in the hotel from this weekend. Today also got the support vehicles that move to film crews: Toyota Hilux and SW4 all Argentines.
For this Wednesday are already booked rooms on behalf of the three hosts of the show: Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond. It is estimated that the journey will start on Friday. It would take almost two weeks to get to Ushuaia.
From Bariloche, Bellora reported: "The cars were unlocked, but it did not seem fair play to open the doors. We were going to look like the 'Italian garden'. I know the Route 40 and those cars with that clearance, plowing they will go all the way. Those who know the ground we know that, between the tracks, always rises a pile of stones. It is impossible to move forward with that cleared! If you really go for the 40, the only sound is the Mustang come. And I hope you have brought several windshield replacement. "

Sorry! translated with google translate!

http://autoblog.com.ar/2014/09/top-gear-argentina/

·
Registered
116 Posts
Further update.........

The presenters of the British motoring program 'Top Gear' have fled Argentina after being pelted with stones over a controversial licence plate on one of their cars, British press reports say.The BBC confirmed on Friday that the presenters and crew had left the South American country, but denied that the registration plate was intended as a deliberate provocation over the Falklands War.Presenter Jeremy Clarkson was among those who were forced to abandon their vehicles after an angry crowd gathered and began throwing stones.One of the vehicles -- a Porsche -- carried the plate H982 FKL, which local newspapers claimed was a reference to the 1982 conflict.Patagonian daily newspaper Diario Jornada said: ''Top Gear' is filming in Patagonia and there's controversy.''Even though the BBC authorities asked the popular presenter Jeremy Clarkson to behave himself during his time in Argentina, he chose to use the provocative number plate H982 FKL on his Porsche, in reference to the 1982 Falklands (Malvinas)' war, in which Britain defeated Argentina, it said.But the BBC bosses said that the number plate was just a coincidence.Executive producer Andy Wilman, said: ''Top Gear' production purchased three cars for a forthcoming program; to suggest that this car was either chosen for its number plate or that an alternative number plate was substituted for the original, is completely untrue.' - See more at: http://www.skynews.com.au/news/showbiz/tv/2014/10/04/top-gear-crew-flee-argentina.html?cid=BP_RSS_sn-entertainment_4_top-gear-crew-flee-argentina_041014#sthash.DuSGXrpD.dpuf

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<div id="gt--c" ="g-unit"><div id="gt--p"><div ="" id="gt--wrap"><div id="gt--tools"><div id="gt--tools-l"><div style="display: inline-block;" id="gt--tool"><div id="itamenu">

<div id="gt-res-c" ="g-unit"><div id="gt-res-p"><div id="gt-res-"><div id="gt-res-wrap"><div id="gt-res-" ="almost_half_cell"><div dir="ltr" style="zoom:1">Yes, it is a shame for the Argentines.

Stupid people are everywhere, and do nothing but harm the country

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yeah I cant imagine it was a coincidence, knowing top gear. They were warned by the UK foreign office not to cause a "diplomatic incident " and naturally any reference to the falklands would do that.

Not that they should be stoned or abused because of it, doubly so with no concrete evidence.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
To think that they deliberately went after THAT numberplate, and that it just so happened to be attached to a Porsche 928, is laughable.

What if the plate had been assigned to a Vauxhall Nova? Would have been much of a TG special.

·
Registered
540 Posts
There's no evidence either way so no conclusion can be drawn aside past behaviour and actions (which by anyone's standards would count against).

I can understand the willingness to believe a nefarious intent on the part of the Argies, but I can never understand why they felt the need to pelt them with stones etc.

Edited by: Fidel_Castronaut

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I was 19 when the Falkland war took place - and I was VERY interested in politics.
Saw many documentations about this war and am sad about the soldiers from both sides who physically and mentally still suffer! It is good that soldiers from both sides meet to find their inner peace after all those years

I can understand the point of view of both sides.
The Falklands have been British for a long period of time and the
majority has always feelt British. Geographically the Malvinas 100%
belong to Argentina - but can this be a reason?

I would call a German who tests a Porsche in Poland with the number plate "WH 1939" or in France with "WH 1940" (WH was the plate of the Wehrmacht) an idiot/git.

To my mind it is the wrong way for any British to tease or to insult the Argentines.
It is a shame and lack of respect concerning the victims of the Falkland war from BOTH sides. These British and Argentine soldiers gave their health and lives and served their country. It it much better to become friends (like the up! owners here in the forum).

Edited by: Cadfael

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<div id="gt--c" ="g-unit"><div id="gt--p"><div ="" id="gt--wrap"><div id="gt--tools"><div id="gt--tools-l"><div style="display: inline-block;" id="gt--tool"><div id="itamenu">

<div id="gt-res-c" ="g-unit"><div id="gt-res-p"><div id="gt-res-"><div id="gt-res-wrap"><div id="gt-res-" ="almost_half_cell"><div dir="ltr" style="zoom:1">Our government has double standards.

For one hand, it makes claims about the argentine property of Malvinas, like this:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/argentina/1522729/Argentina-renews-campaign-over-Falklands-claim.html

But on the next year, With the tacit agreement of the
Kirchner administration, Das Neves signed an extension of PAE's
concession to exploit the reserve Cerro Dragon, which was due to expire in 2017, for
10 further years, with an option to renew the contract for another 20
years, until 2047.(PAE's major shareholders are British Petroleum (BP)):
http://www.galdu.org/web/index.php?odas=2270&giella1=eng

The law about this contracts, says "it must be reviewed six months before it expires", and not 10 years earlier.

There are many mining companies of English origin operating in Argentina, with the current mining law, all minerals are carried without paying royalties, and the only thing they left in our Country is pollution. All this happens with the Argentine government approval.
http://www.minesandcommunities.org/article.php?a=3002

The interest of the Argentine government in Malvinas, is not to populate and exploit them with Argentines, instead of it, is to negotiate to give the concession to some foreign companies, or if they are local, must be business from friends.

·
Registered
75 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Of course Clarkson was taking the p**s - it's what he does. Perhaps now he will see that there are consequences for his and his cohorts' actions.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Umiamz said:
Of course Clarkson was taking the p**s - it's what he does. Perhaps now he will see that there are consequences for his and his cohorts' actions.
Don't think so ...

I know people "like this".
He might blame it all to the "bluddy Argentines".
He did everything right and made no fault at all ...
Some people can reflect, others can't ...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts