Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know anything about fitting a towbar to an Up? I'd like to fit a bike carrier...

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
sorry i dont know about the tow bar, but i know in the vw catalogue they show a roof rack for bikes, but i have wondered myself about a bike carrier on the back of the car because ive got my up coming with a sunroof so dont think i can do the roof rack option....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the news about the roof rack as I'll have the Sunroof on mine also. It's not looking good for the towbar, however. I've contacted a couple of tow bar suppliers (Indespension, etc) and have been informed that the Up doesn't have a towing capacity and therefore will be unlikely to have a towbar developed for it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Generally...

I've had several new model cars and the Towbar manufacturers have to get the car first then they design a tow bar. I am certain that there will be towbars within a year of its launch once they play catchup. I had a towbar on my new 1 litre polo and pulled a trailer... and all was fab.

You will not be able to tow your 5 berth Caravan though fully loaded through the Dales !!! :)

DaveW

·
Registered
128 Posts
Dan said:
Stainless said:
Generally...

You will not be able to tow your 5 berth Caravan though fully loaded through the Dales !!! :)

DaveW

Not even one of these

LOL !!! My Mountain bike could tow that little beauty Dan !!!! ;)

I did actually tow a micro caravan with my 1 litre Polo for a season. Then fell in love with a 5 berth Nightstar, sold the polo and got a beemer 3 series to tow the caravan.

Dave

·
Registered
143 Posts
If theres no approved tow mount then there will no legal way to tow, as there is an EC Directive stating that the manufacturer has to state where and how the tow bar can be mounted for it to be legal and CE Marked

·
Registered
553 Posts
Roadrunner said:
If theres no approved tow mount then there will no legal way to tow, as there is an EC Directive stating that the manufacturer has to state where and how the tow bar can be mounted for it to be legal and CE Marked
Does that apply to motorbikes as well?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sorry do not know anything about bikes. A good pro tow bar installer might.

As to the UP its not listed on this websitehttp://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/index.php.

If you look in the FAQ section it explains the law, and EC Directives for cars.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Roadrunner

All you say is certainly true and spot on. They have to be safe and registered to ensure your insurance is valid. However, in general Witter and the others do not design and release towbars until they have got their hands on the cars so that they can test out the cars standard towing threaded mounts etc.

As up!s are few on the ground at the moment I reckon that IF the Up! has towbar bracket bolt holes then they will make towbars later on.

I get my up! next week so I'll get under it and see if there are the towbar mounting holes and threads around the rear end. If there are then it's a fair bet that towbars will follow.. if not then that is that. I'll just have to fit a standard one to our Honda Jazz and let Anthea drive my up! :)

Best wishes

Dave

·
Registered
143 Posts
Stainless,

I cannot see anything in the VW Accessories brochure, etc... so may be ask the dealership for an estimate. If they can do it then you know that someone else will produce one, as VW have designed the car to have one fitted.

Not all cars are approved for towing, the original Audi TT, Smart car etc...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Roadrunner said:
Stainless,

I cannot see anything in the VW Accessories brochure, etc... so may be ask the dealership for an estimate. If they can do it then you know that someone else will produce one, as VW have designed the car to have one fitted.

Not all cars are approved for towing, the original Audi TT, Smart car etc...

Great Idea Roadrunner.... I'll ask when I pick mine up! next week :)

Not the end of the world for me if it cannot have one, but nice if it can.

Best wishes

Dave

·
Registered
128 Posts
M5 SUT said:
Our Lupo can't have a tow bar fitted!!

Hi M5 SUT

Can't understand why you cannot put a tow bar on your Lupo. Google "lupo tow bar" and there are loads !!

I had a 1 litre Seat Arosa ( a spanish version of the Lupo - Just the bonnet was different really ) and fitted the standard Lupo towbar. It was fab. Towed trailers all over the UK.

Google for images and you get several.. the most ambitious being with a small caravan !! ....

That would be a bit too scary for me ;)

Best wishes

Dave

·
Registered
128 Posts
Looked closely under my up! .. The chassis box members extend to the rear of the car and have rubber grommets and holes in them that MAYBE there for towbar usage later on. Time will tell.

I've gone ahead and ordered a Witter towbar for our new Honda Jazz with 7 relay electric bypass kit so that's us sorted for the next few years. I've got a Welsh Cottage to renovate

Dave

·
Registered
421 Posts
Would you have to cut the back bumper with it being really low?

I'd sooner find a footpack and get the Thuleroof bars on......won't help if you want to pull the dinky caravan (I see, I like and I want!) though!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,
Re Tow Bar for UP. Have a look at PF Jones on line they do a Tow Bar, but only for mounting cycles!! Cheap too.
Regards,

1 - 20 of 90 Posts