Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2015 e-up! and it's fitted with Tyre Pressure Monitor System.

Is this something I have to take in to account when switching to winter tyres, or rather when buying the tyres even?

(sorry I have not yet consulted the manual but maybe it's a topic worth bringing up anyway)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi, its just a case of getting the new tyres on at the pressure ou want and pressing the monitor button. The system will detect any drop in pressure from the last press .easy system to use.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
If it's anything like the system on my BMW you need to reset everytime you adjust your tyre pressures.

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you buy separate rims for your tyres, you will to buy the specific in wheel sensors for those rims too.Not sure if they will need reprogramming to match the car

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been digging in to this and from my understanding there sensors are in the ABS rather than the wheels. So any standard set of rims will do, no specific sensors or such. The ABS will monitor wheel rpm and fire a warning if a wheel shows abnormal rpm.

So - it seems just to be a matter of holding a button for a couple of seconds to reset the TTMS after wheel change.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Tudor said:
I've been digging in to this and from my understanding there sensors are in the ABS rather than the wheels. So any standard set of rims will do, no specific sensors or such. The ABS will monitor wheel rpm and fire a warning if a wheel shows abnormal rpm.

So - it seems just to be a matter of holding a button for a couple of seconds to reset the TTMS after wheel change.

From what I have read, all new cars now have TPMS in wheel sensors as it is now EU legislation. From reading on the internet it is possible to use passive reading (ABS sensors) within the legislation, but no passive sensors are accurate enough at the moment so the easy option is to use active measurement (measuring the actual pressure rather than rotation speed).

Ford changed all Focus models from using DDS (deflation detection system using ABS sensors) to TPMS sensors from May build. BMW have also done the same.

As it was only 2015 model year Up!s that have TPMS, my assumption is it is active.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Jemma said:
... been busy driving the Polo!!! Had it 2 weeks and
loving it and guess what ?!! Not a tyre pressure sensor light coming on
!! Yet!!
Looks like only a matter of time before the new
mandatory TPMS on all new cars will be giving problems ... . Various
videos on internet show how these systems work and why they are going to
give problems - for example, when their internal battery fails (one sensor module with built-in battery per wheel) or the different components of the sensor on the wheel corrode/interact.
And looks like it could cost £££s. Will be an MoT failure if system not working (so the end of a
Peugeot 407 I know where TPMS has never worked from almost new and
they've never been able to fix it. And no good turning it off - if it's got TPMS then it MUST be working to pass MoT!)

Edited by: PeterWestSussex

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think having the ABS monitoring wheel rotation is a much more reliable TPMSystem. But it's not my area of knowledge so I don't have much authority in this =)

It just sounds like a more generic solution with less parts that can fail.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts