Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Had a screw in my brand new rear Up's tyre...had it repaired for free by VW Dealership. Set pressures correctly ( dealership always thinks every car is 35 psi !! ) and reset the SET button next to gear stick. After a 15 mile trip, all ok...but when I turned ignition back on momentarily, low pressure warning came on....so reset again...drove 15 miles home...same again ! Reset again, and wait and see today.

The puncture repair is ok but the rubber plug protrudes slightly above the surface of the tyre...could this be affecting the ABS circumference readings but will go away as the plug ' wears in ' and is erroneously triggering the TPMS warning light ?

Many thanks for any knowledgeable comments in advance...to put my mind at rest. The system was perfect before the puncture repair, I should add.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Any error in the circumference would be taken into account when the system is reset so don't think that is the issue.

The fact it takes 15 miles to flag an error is exactly the same as my Focus which has in wheel sensors rather than ABS measurements. Perhaps the sensor was damaged (or the valve replaced by a non sensor valve by mistake) when the tyre was taken off the rim. In wheel sensors do take around 15 miles or so to detect errors as they are programmed to go to sleep when the car is stationary to save the batteries.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like it was a circumference error after all...no more flashing of warning light ! I do believe there aren't any in wheel sensors on the Up....even on my 2014/2015 brand new model ? I think we just have the abs system....according to my UP handbook anyway ! The repair plug is hardly noticeable now on the tyre. Thanks anyway...but I'm open to be corrected.

·
Registered
252 Posts
If the error has now gone away then my theory is scuppered!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi mi al,
I am a little confused...I thought it was EU Legislation for all tyres to have independent pressure sensors on all cars from 2014 on ? But the handbook says it's the ABS method that is used ? Obviously, I'm glad it's not a system fault; it seems that it's too much of a coincidence to not have been caused by the ' damage ' to the repaired tyre.

·
Registered
252 Posts
That was my thought about the legislation too, but according to my garage, the new ones have ABS sensors, but your experience exactly replicated what my Focus did a few weeks ago & it has in tyre sensors.

In response to the new legislation both Ford & BMW have gone from ABS sensor detection to in tyre sensors so I was surprised that VW have not done the same, but until someone sees the inside of a wheel of a 2015 m/y car we won't know for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts