Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wheel alignment was out on my front left so I had to renew the tyre early (Few months ago) due to uneven wear. (I replaced both front tyres just to be on the safe side.)

Do you think I'll be able to tell if the tracking is still out by using a digital tread depth gauge?

My plan is to measure the tread depth at several points across the width of the tyres and see if there's any discrepancy…

Thanks for your opinion.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Errr sort of., However, that will only tell you that the tracking is out.. If it was the tracking that caused your uneven tyre wear before, then it will do the same to your new tyre.
You should have had the tracking put back to spec when you replaced the tyre.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
@911ts3 Thanks — yes, I had the tracking done when the new tyres were fitted but I don't trust them to have done it properly.
Then yes, a tread depth gauge will give you some indication as to what's going on.

The easiest way to know is to go along a nice level bit of tarmac and let go of the wheel, if it goes one way or the other then it needs looking at.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@ThatUp!GTI Thanks - I'll try that. I noticed when I got it back after the new tyres were fitted, that the steering wheel wobbled a bit when I was coming to a halt. Almost like a brake disc was warped. I'm not sure what's going on but I want to ruleout tracking.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
@ThatUp!GTI Thanks - I'll try that. I noticed when I got it back after the new tyres were fitted, that the steering wheel wobbled a bit when I was coming to a halt. Almost like a brake disc was warped. I'm not sure what's going on but I want to ruleout tracking.
Tbh that normally means you have some residue stuck to your disc. Try getting up to a decent lick and stomping on the brakes, then repeat a few times. Just make sure you don't hold the brakes on after stopping. You're basically trying to remove a "high spot" where brake material might have transferred to the disk which can happen if you hold your brakes on after a decent stopping maneuver.
Bit of an old trick but it's worked for me a few times.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts