Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out this morning, up to 6" snow, and at times the wheels were finding it hard, and an icon - TC - on the console lit up. Does this mean traction control is on? I thought the TakeUp did not have traction control. I also found the ABS kicking in, surprisingly slow pulsing through the brake pedal.

I remember going down a steep hill in my old Ka, braking, and spinning through 180 degrees, coming to a stop before reaching the road at the end. The road was icy. Other drivers did not seem concerned. It makes me wonder how an Up would have coped.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I was just wondering exactly the same thing. The TC light flashes away even though I don't think it's fitted.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I thought they all had it so that VW can get the good star rating for crashes.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Showing my ignorance here. I know the Move Up upwards (so to speak) have DSC but the Take Up doesn't. I thought that was traction control. Can anyone enlighten me?

·
Registered
592 Posts
ESC (or DSC) = Electronic (or Dynamic) Stabilty Control. This is a complex computer programme that prevents loosing control in the event of a spin - say when you have to turn sharp to avoid an obstacle, as it brakes individual wheels to prevent a spin and bring car back in line.

TC = Traction control. This prevents the drive wheels spinning when driving off.

I think that is correct!

Edited by: Truth-seeker

·
Registered
523 Posts
The easiest way to tell you haveTC is when you accelerate in these slippery conditions and power is cut to the front wheels. Should be very noticeable, I have tc + dsc in my up black.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I think in take/move up there is traction control, just without the option of turning it off.
I know it came on in the snow in my move up, and made it very easy to navigate the icy road. It's most useful!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Very comprehensive, thanks. I've also been trying to find a way of switching off the TC on the High Up without success.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Why would you want to switch it off, particularly in snow and ice?

Nick

·
Registered
198 Posts
Collas said:
Why would you want to switch it off, particularly in snow and ice?
I've encountered a discussion about that before... It's to show off one as a 'good' driver. They turn it on on good roads and off on slippery roads - then, they can say, they drive so well that electronics never turns on and that supposedly somehow proves that they don't need it.
I'm not saying it makes sense, just repeating the 'explanation' I've read.

·
Registered
587 Posts
BMW's have had a setting to turn it off, for more spirited track driving in what they call DTC mode. VW has also added the option on some of its performance cars. Again for track driving or those thar are mad enough to turn it off on a public road.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I happen to drive one of those BMWs on a daily basis, it has three modes. Traction control + stability control, traction control only and off altogether. The spirited driving mode you refer to happens to be traction control only, as it doesn't apply brakes to stabilize the car it allows for maximum power applied to the road.

Driving with anything but fully engaged in the snow is insane, the car weighs two tons and delivers 250hp, tapping the throttle just slightly while cornoring at 10mph will spin the car round instantly.Edited by: Mulo

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sometimes you need some wheel spin to get moving in the snow so it would be nice to switch it off. Otherwise you'd just sit there unable to move.

·
Registered
532 Posts
my bm is a disaster in the snow with or without dtc.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Mulo said:
I happen to drive one of those BMWs on a daily basis, it has three modes. Traction control + stability control, traction control only and off altogether. The spirited driving mode you refer to happens to be traction control only, as it doesn't apply brakes to stabilize the car it allows for maximum power applied to the road.

Driving with anything but fully engaged in the snow is insane, the car weighs two tons and delivers 250hp, tapping the throttle just slightly while cornoring at 10mph will spin the car round instantly.

The DTC mode just acts an electronic differential, I think I used it once on my previous 1 Series's my forthcoming F20 1 Series as that as well as Sport, comfort and Eco-pro modes. The VW version turns everything off ESP wise just leaving ABS.

My 1 Series was awful in the snow, never used it when it snowed. Mixture of runflat tyres and RWD made it almostunusable. Winter tyres make a big big difference though. up! seems quite competant in the snow though.

The TC on the Take up! is just a simple cut engine power version.

Edited by: jezyg

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A few years ago I went out in my old style Ford Ka, and drove by numerous BMWs and Mercs stuck in the snow. I could go up snow covered hills easily, unless I stopped, and then I had to use a spade to clear some road for the wheels to get traction. I dug a couple of Mercs out. It was quite ironic.

I did get annoyed by smug 4x4 drivers offering to help when I was snowed in a car park, since I dislike the cars. And the reason I could not get out was because 4x4s had compressed the snow and my wheels could not get grip on the icy compressed tracks.

Carrying a spade is a good idea. And apparently drive in 2nd gear, not first, on a hill climb.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Wheel spin isn't necessary as modern cars can deal with starting on snow and ice with tick-over revs without stalling (and it isn't absolutely necessary to start in second gear, though it's usually recommended). Gentle use of the clutch is all that's required in a manual car.

Here are some useful tips.

http://www.maccinfo.com/cat/winterdrive.html

Nick

·
Registered
811 Posts
I find that the Up copes brilliantly with the snow. I did have problems a few years ago with a Jaguar where the traction control cut the power to stop the wheels spinning to such an extent that the **** thing wouldn't actually move in snow unless it was switched off. That's why I always look for the off switch

1 - 20 of 21 Posts