Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all.....

Due to finding out we are going from 1 grandchild to 3 in the coming months, our second car will now need to be a 5 door and slightly larger....

My wifes very keen on a Fiesta ST Line X, so Im looking online at various cars.

Question is, what do you think we will be offered for her GTI as a part ex?

Its a 2018(68) with 3500 miles, red, 3 door, no options, immaculate, unmarked condition....

Let me know your thoughts.......

I will post whatever Im offered against a Fiesta.... (Fiesta will be around 6 months old and cost around £15k).....

·
Registered
84 Posts
You’ve got plenty of time to sell privately by the sounds of things...what I would do anyway. Should be easy to sell I’d have thought.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Sell privately but not on Ebay, try Autotrader or Piston heads

Don’t give the car away. Pitch it at £11,995 and expect to get chipped £500

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well pursat......

You nailed it.....one offer of £9k and one of £9.5k.

Im pretty certain its down to the fact that they aren't flooding the second hand market so are getting valued in the same ballpark as a standard tsi.

No way we would let it go for £9k, just so those robbing bar-stewards can put it on their forecourts for £13k.......I really despise car dealers......

As mentioned above, we are not in a rush to sell, so privately might be the best option.

I was expecting around £11k as a trade in, so I think your right lightning, we should put it up at £11995 and expect around £11500....

Bloody car dealers......🤬🤬🤬

·
Registered
464 Posts
When i bought my Fiat Abarth 695 Competizione from Platts garage in Stoke on Trent, it had been pre registered, with only 8miles on its clock.
A car that should have been sold at close on £19000, was bought by me for a bargain £10995, a week before Christmas of 2016.

Sytner Vw in Llandudno, gave me £10600 for it, p/x against my new Gti, as for some reason they were desperate to register my Gti before the end of March.

This may sound a daft response, but if you can hold onto your Gti for several months, and buy your Fiesta in late Nov or December, then your more likely to get a better deal.

£8000 off list price of a Fiat Abarth, was an offer i simply could not refuse, and there were four pre registered cars in different colours, all advertised at the same price.

Every dealership, throughout the year has to sell cars, no matter how busy or quiet they are.

The end of February close to the new March registration is not a good time to look for a new car, as sales are strong, and any p/x offer will be poor.

July and August are also poor times to buy a new car, as there is a new registration on Sep 1st.

Only a tiny percentage of people would ever consider buying a new car in the depths of winter, and so close to Christmas, but dealerships still have to meet their monthly targets, and even though your Gti will be over a year old, there's a very big chance Fiesta Sts will be discounted heavily to sell.

I can remember the same time when i was looking for my Abarth, the nearby Ford dealership in Stoke, had pre registered several new Focus and Fiesta models.

The Fiesta ST is a popular model, but if you do your homework, and use the internet, i can guarantee there will be several preregistered examples, if your prepared to travel.

So what, if the car has been re registered by the dealership, the price will be quite a bit below book price.

A p/x valuation, really depends on what time of year it is, and the initial cost of the vehicle your buying.

£8000 off list price of a brand new car, ensured i suffered virtually no depreciation on my car when i p/x it against a new Gti.

I know i had to find nearly £4000 to pay towards a brand new Up Gti, but i felt it was worth the expenditure.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Let me help ...

So, your second car will be a 5 door Fiesta, and your third car will be a red, 3 door, unmarked UP! GTI with 3500 miles on the clock.

What’s the problem ? :grin:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me help ...

So, your second car will be a 5 door Fiesta, and your third car will be a red, 3 door, unmarked UP! GTI with 3500 miles on the clock.

What’s the problem ? :grin:
😂😂 well....when you put it that way!!........

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Llandudnoboy, totally agree with your comments mate, however, the car market has massively changed over the past year.

The days of mass pre-registration of cars have gone. Even Ford have stopped doing it. The whole car market has slowed and as such so has production. The only company that seems to mass discount now is Vauxhall....and if you drive their cars you know why!!

This is down to the uncertainty of Brexit, the WLTP fiasco, the future with electric cars, dieselgate and the general downturn in the European economy.

My outlaws change their Focus zetec every 2 years for the same.....the only question the dealer needed to ask was - what colour this time? They always got a zero mile 6 month old pre reg for a massive discount off rrp.
However, this year its different.......the dealer, .Arnold Clark dont have anywhere near the same number of pre reg cars for sale.

After being offered the ridiculous £9k for the GTI, we have decided to stop doing anything and just watch how the market shapes up over the coming year.
She will use my Tiguan if she gets needed for granny duties and I will slum it with the GTI😂😂.

Im pretty confident that in a year from now, the GTI will still be worth £9k as a trade in.....it just isnt a known entity in the used car market and as such is getting traded as a 1.0tsi I would say.....

·
Registered
130 Posts
Have now tried various sites to see what my December 2018 3 door GTI with 700 miles is worth.Prices ranged from £8000 with WBAC to £11200 with Auto Trader.A massive difference as you can see.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Eye,
I was looking for 11k......a figure I also got from Autotrader......clearly means nothing!

I reckon they must get their prices based on the price of cars on their site.

Im still bloody annoyed that I was offered £9k for the wifes car.....clearly they would put it on their forecourt for around £13k the greedy f******rs....

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
When we bought our GTi, l offered the missus’s Land Rover Defender 90 as a trade in, just to see what they would offer.

The offer was £6,000 (the book trade price)
I advertised the Land Rover and sold it for £12,000

Sometimes the trade guides are a mile off, and it always seems to be in the dealer’s favour.

The guides never seem to take market trends in to account, Defenders are currently on a roll price wise
The Up GTi is similar, it’s a desirable car (plus you can no longer get new ones) so worth more than the “book” price

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its just so annoying that we bought a brand new Up Beats for £8k and traded it in 6 months later for £7.5k to buy the GTI......Now the GTI is 6 months old its taking a £4k hit! Absolutely ridiculous.

Again, I fu*****n hate car dealers. Everyone offering £9k or less in some cases for the GTI and I guarantee not one of them would sell it on for less than £11800. Well they can kiss my arse.

Between my wife and I we have owned over 60 cars in the past 30 odd years and never had our pants pulled down so much on a small car.....

As a comparison, I have a 2018 top of the range Tiguan RLine petrol 180......its 14 months old.....trade in offer was £3k less than I paid new.......so a £4k hit on a 6 mth old GTI makes no sense...

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Just one comment on your last Up, £8,000 was a serious discount on a new Up Beats which retails at over £11,000

So a £7500 trade in is possible, depending of course on how much money they have in the car you are trading it for.

£9,000 is a bit cheeky for a GTi but l looked in the guides and it says £9-10,000 not that l agree with it but that’s what they will have looked at.

Secondly it depends on whether the dealer is going to retail the car, or trade it themselves. If they decide to trade it, (and the reasons are many as to whether or not they do that) they will call their trader who will bid on it sight unseen, and guess what, the bid will be £9-10,000

The dealer may put £500 on, to cover their processing, so if the trader offers £9800 you will get £9200

The minimum mark up for a big car dealer to actually make anything is £2,000 and they will take £3,000 if they can get it. After all they are not your friend they are out to make a profit and like most companies will try to get the best deal that they can.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I forgot to mention, as soon as you buy a new car it loses the VAT.
So even if the dealer selling the Fiesta were to offer you effectively your money back, the offer would still be only £10,400

Still think the dealer who offered £9,500 is ripping you off?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I forgot to mention, as soon as you buy a new car it loses the VAT.
So even if the dealer selling the Fiesta were to offer you effectively your money back, the offer would still be only £10,400

Still think the dealer who offered £9,500 is ripping you off?
All understood mate, but tbh, the vat element doesn't count for much......a bigger issue is rarity, desirability and image.

A good example is the Porsche Macan - £50k plus new, but for the first year they were trading at £50k.....seriously! My next door neighbour ran one for 18 months from brand new and lost £300 on it, so VAT wasn't in that equation!

Agreed that the discount on the Up Beats skews the logic....it was actually £10500 rrp I think, but even then, getting £7500 for it was less of a hit than Im being offered now!

I would have thought the GTI was a rarer, more desirable car than the Beats, but maybe not!!!

Im certain this is all down to the total lack of GTIs in the used market. As you know, Glass's / CAP set their prices by monitoring auctions/historcal sales, combined with demand, rarity, image, etc,etc......it looks like the GTI is being traded as a regular 1.0 TSI to me and as I said before, Im pretty certain that it will still be worth around £9000 as a trade in a year from now......the market just doesn't know the car at the moment......if there are no more GTIs.......some would disagree.....then the values will do well in the private sales market, but Im still not sure if CAP/Glasses will cotton on!

1 - 20 of 124 Posts