Up Owners Club banner

201 - 219 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sadly,due to My advancing years and aching knees I traded in My GTI for a Seat Arona last Monday.
I wanted £10500 for the car and that’s how much I got which I think is a really good price for an 18 month old car.BTW got a £5090 discount on the Arona and a 2 year service plan for £149.
Have enjoyed My time on here and the GTI is a truly brilliant car.Happy driving everyone.
Which model and engine did you go for? Was it the same engine as the GTI or the 1.5 TSI? Quite like the look of the Arona.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Got the 1.0 115 bhp, same as the GTI.Lovely engine in the Arona as well,no shortage of power, also a lot quieter than in the GTI for obvious reasons,sometimes I have to check the rev' counter to make sure its still running.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
l thought that our Up GTi was very quiet at motorway speeds.
Mind you, we previously owned a Land Rover Defender.
Now we've got a new Suzuki Jimny. lt's surprisingly good on road.

·
Registered
356 Posts
8 years old High Up with 30k on the clock - we received £4000 in p/x for new Up Gti (£17000 OTR inc' climate control and white with black roof).

We were expecting far less.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Wow £17,000 new
VW have really spanked up the price of the GTi since it first came out, most manufacturers wouldn't get away with that but the motoring press (and customers) seem to have taken it on the chin.
Although l guess if it's on a PCP agreement the list price is less of an issue.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Wow £17,000 new
VW have really spanked up the price of the GTi since it first came out, most manufacturers wouldn't get away with that but the motoring press (and customers) seem to have taken it on the chin.
I think the previous price was a real bargain, the motoring press reaction to the car based on its price underlined that. It’s not such a bargain now but various deals, discounts and the afterglow of those press reviews keeps them selling.

The rarity factor seems to have held used prices firm, whether that will last now VW are churning them out again remains to be seen. The car seems to have achieved the title of ‘modern classic’ in a similar way to that of the Panda 100hp which was again loved by certain bits of the motoring press, cheap’ish and moderately rare. Both are largely hidden gems.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Wow £17,000 new
My 36 month PCP ends in Oct next year.
The balloon, I think is £5,200 or very close. The GMFVs set by VW finance were super conservative.

I will almost certainly buy the car outright , but Autotrader today has comparable cars at 34+ months old with 30k miles (which mine will be) for £10,000 to £12,000

If I was keen on getting rid of it, I could perhaps make £4k profit! Although there are 70 upGti for sale currently, hardly a bullish market.

But I don't want to get rid of it. It's too good.

·
Registered
356 Posts
£17k seems reasonable to me. Ours includes white paint/black roof & dual zone climate control.

Just take a look at the prices of some very mundane cars on the market & the Gti still looks like a bargain.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Previous prices, depending on when one last looked, will depend on exchange rates. All vehicles from VAG will be about the value £ v. €

Bear in mind that over the last 5 years (when at first, I previously lived in Portugal) we've gone from >€1.4 to the pound, to close to parity, but at least we have taken back control of everything, putting prosperity or our standard of living aside...

I have never done PCP, but I am truly interested in the idea. By and large, I have always saved up the cash, and bought a car with that cash (or raided an offset mortgage for a while!), so how has everyone worked out that buying with that finance is cheaper, over the whole ownerhip and resale period? I get it if you need a car and don't have the capital on the day, or if you are a company and can get a tax break, but as an ordinary bloke like me, how does it work? How does the finance outfit get their cut, compared to if I buy with cash and always argue the price to get a discount?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The Up GTi is still a great car at £17,000
Buy them while you can! lt's the end for this type of vehicle, we'll soon all be driving hybrid and electric
Plus small cars seem to be on the way out. Most new cars now seem to be great big SUV's and chunky "Crossovers"

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have never done PCP, but I am truly interested in the idea. By and large, I have always saved up the cash, and bought a car with that cash (or raided an offset mortgage for a while!), so how has everyone worked out that buying with that finance is cheaper, over the whole ownerhip and resale period? I get it if you need a car and don't have the capital on the day, or if you are a company and can get a tax break, but as an ordinary bloke like me, how does it work? How does the finance outfit get their cut, compared to if I buy with cash and always argue the price to get a discount?
I usually buy cash for pre-registered cars and on some occasions the sales m/f have shown me they only made £100 profit on the sale.

I am seriously considering leasing next time round (PCH). If you can find a 2 year deal at a total cost of 20% of the list price then this would be cheaper than buying as the lease costs are less than the depreciation. Obviously depends on the car and the initial rental etc. Also rotate those tyres and you can probably get 2 years and 24k out of a set.

·
Registered
594 Posts
"Most new cars now seem to be great big SUV's and chunky "Crossovers"

Yes, and that is a bad thing for the world, but at least we can laugh at the X5 owners down here in SW Cornwall, being held up in their status symbols, while we can spin happily through and then park.... But I suspect the size thing tells a story about hybrids and many battery cars that offer 'decent' range - it's a power density and power to weight problem that still needs solving... If you can convince people to buy a larger vehicle, it mitigates the need for more clever design and better battery tech. When the tech improves and prices come down, small cars will be back and be affordable. I for one am in favour of size, weight and power restrictions for upcoming cars; I used to live in towns but cars, especially big cars, have made them uninhabitable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
All understood mate, but tbh, the vat element doesn't count for much......a bigger issue is rarity, desirability and image.

A good example is the Porsche Macan - £50k plus new, but for the first year they were trading at £50k.....seriously! My next door neighbour ran one for 18 months from brand new and lost £300 on it, so VAT wasn't in that equation!

Agreed that the discount on the Up Beats skews the logic....it was actually £10500 rrp I think, but even then, getting £7500 for it was less of a hit than Im being offered now!

I would have thought the GTI was a rarer, more desirable car than the Beats, but maybe not!!!

Im certain this is all down to the total lack of GTIs in the used market. As you know, Glass's / CAP set their prices by monitoring auctions/historcal sales, combined with demand, rarity, image, etc,etc......it looks like the GTI is being traded as a regular 1.0 TSI to me and as I said before, Im pretty certain that it will still be worth around £9000 as a trade in a year from now......the market just doesn't know the car at the moment......if there are no more GTIs.......some would disagree.....then the values will do well in the private sales market, but Im still not sure if CAP/Glasses will cotton on!
The Macan is one of, if not the least depreciating vehicle in the UK.

Just bought my first UP GTI and traded up from a UP move 60ps. Lost £1.3k in 2 years having covered 10k over that period.

To be honest I bought it at a steal new but you only have to look at pre reg 20 or 70 plates GTi's with between 1,500 and 5,000 miles on the clock and dealers are selling them as close to RRP as you can get.

Plus don't know if they are making the UP GTi in 2021 so they may become even rarer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I usually buy cash for pre-registered cars and on some occasions the sales m/f have shown me they only made £100 profit on the sale.

I am seriously considering leasing next time round (PCH). If you can find a 2 year deal at a total cost of 20% of the list price then this would be cheaper than buying as the lease costs are less than the depreciation. Obviously depends on the car and the initial rental etc. Also rotate those tyres and you can probably get 2 years and 24k out of a set.
They may only make £100 but they would have made significantly more from bonuses for hitting targets.

Be wary of leasing as some will sting you at the end for damage costs which can be outrageous!! A friend had a Mercedes and he scrapped the side. Took it to a body shop who did a fantastic job. At the end of the 2 year lease the leasing company came with a tool that could tell that the car had been resprayed.

As it wasn't done at Mercedes they claimed it invalidated the Mercedes paint work warranty and slapped him with a £4k bill!!

Saying that leasing with low mileage with high depreciating vehicles cost wise is a no brainer but do your research into who is sent to pick up the vehicle.

A lot of vehicles go straight to auction and are not repaired even though a bill is sent. All that happens is they get a lower price which can mean the fees charged for damage more than make up for it!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Most damage is covered by the BVRLA terms and conditions and fair wear and tear clauses are not a strict as you might think.

Gone are the days when you returned a hire car with a coin sized dent or small scratch and had to pay the £300 XS.

In the case of major damage to a lease vehicle, then you need to do your due diligence with both the lease and insurance companies. This is to ensure the car is repaired as per the relevant terms and conditions.

And always make sure you have decent GAP insurance!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Values seem very strong at the moment. Having a quick look on Autotrader there are several cars with more miles and lesser spec with an asking price around what I paid for mine two years ago.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Dealers will always "have a go" at selling for a high price, whether they actually sell is another matter.
Just look at the prices being asked for the new model Suzuki Jimny.
Some dealers have them
at £31,000
Retail is £19,250
But are they actually selling?

Also with most people buying on PCP the retail price is less relevant.
Whether it's £14,000 or £17,000 what actually matters is the monthly payments on the PCP, and the MGFV at the end.
As the "buyer" never actually owns the vehicle.

·
Registered
594 Posts
£31,000 vs. £19,250 - is that the exact same option list, car for car?
Sounds like Suzuki UK might be creaming it in!
Good cars and bikes though.... They are part-owned by Toyota.
The Swift (made in Hungary I think) is a definite possibility if someone wanted an Up/Citigo/Mii and couldn't get one....

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The Jimny is in short supply, similar to the Up GTi, as it's no longer being imported to the UK.
Dealers are pre registering them, throwing on a few extras, and then trying their luck at anything from £24,000 upwards.

201 - 219 of 219 Posts