Up Owners Club banner

61 - 80 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Seen one on line similar to mine in spec,age on sale at a dealer for just under £13200.Bit of a mark up from £9650 don’t you think?.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just had a look online, on the 1'September WBAC offered £7610-00,now offering £9000-00,Auto Trader offered £10690-00 now offering £10840-00.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I was renewing my insurance the other day and as part of the quote process they pull in an estimated trade valuation. It said £8595, which is obviously based on a standard car.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I am looking for opinions, on whether the Up gti will become more desirable, sooner than later, now that Vw have pulled the plug on all production of their petrol driven city cars.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am looking for opinions, on whether the Up gti will become more desirable, sooner than later, now that Vw have pulled the plug on all production of their petrol driven city cars.
I think it will become less desirable sooner, and less desirable later.

We are all fans of it, but we're in the minority, let's stop flattering ourselves.

The market wants silly 350hp hot hatches with ipads instead of analogue dials.
And cheap copies therin down the range.
And the market wants plasticky mock-offroaders weighing 2tons, with motorway tyres, which get stuck on a slippery incline coming out of Waitrose.

And a few people want a 25yr old, air cooled, manual German sports car, and most old people want a reliable tinny Japanese 3door abomination.

And then there are the people that buy Peugeot and Citroen.

So the rest of us like the UP! Gti, but we're not going to pay more than £5k for one in three years time, or 20yrs time

In my opinion.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bet if you’d of asked someone in the 70’s and 80’s if they thought a mini would be worth much in the future, the response would of been NO.
They made thousands and thousands of them and now I have seen non cooper models at £10k +++

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I think it will become less desirable sooner, and less desirable later.

We are all fans of it, but we're in the minority, let's stop flattering ourselves.

The market wants silly 350hp hot hatches with ipads instead of analogue dials.
And cheap copies therin down the range.
And the market wants plasticky mock-offroaders weighing 2tons, with motorway tyres, which get stuck on a slippery incline coming out of Waitrose.

And a few people want a 25yr old, air cooled, manual German sports car, and most old people want a reliable tinny Japanese 3door abomination.

And then there are the people that buy Peugeot and Citroen.

So the rest of us like the UP! Gti, but we're not going to pay more than £5k for one in three years time, or 20yrs time

In my opinion.

I’m not sure it will be as bad as that. The car will depreciate in value but will always be desirable, maybe not by petrol heads but ordinary people who fancy a small car with a sporty element.
And cheap to run/insure.

Look at the Lupo GTi you still pay £6,000 for the best ones and they are fifteen years old.

The main issue would be, if VW come up with something better, but that’s unlikely looking at the current situation with emissions killing off small cars.

Collectors item? No, but l bet that in the future good ones will never be available for banger money.
Look after your Up GTi and l bet you will see £5,000 in ten years if you sell it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
My biggest regret, was back in 1979, an owner of a pub in Caerphily in South Wales, was advertising his very clean 1968 Morris Cooper 1071S, in old English White with contrasting Black roof.

He wanted £4570 for it, which back then, was strong money, but if the car was advertised today, it would easily be in excess of £30k.

Just look at the price of mint Mk1 Gtis, if you can find one that is, serious money.

It would be interesting to be able to turn the clock forward twenty or so years.

The Up Gti, was produced in such small numbers that it may become a future classic.

It took ages for the Mk1 Gti to appreciate in value, and become the desirable classic it is now.

The Up Gti is a no thrills, hot hatch, just like the original Mk1.

It was produced in tiny numbers, and I recon it may become a future classic.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I fully expect the GTI to follow the same depreciation curve as any other Up. As long as you’re realistic you shouldn’t suffer too much.

Long term is harder to predict simply because I think the market for this sort of car is narrowing all the time. I increasingly think that younger people are becoming less and less interested in driving (understandably so), so the GTI is appealing to people who have a certain amount of nostalgia for the old school hot hatches of the 80s and 90s, and younger people who appreciate a cheap fun drivers car. It’s fairly niche when you think about it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thats almost what you want Andrew,built in small numbers and a Failure to make that ideal classic car

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I would go with Llandudnoboy on this.

These cars are the last incarnation of the fossil fuelled engine.
The next generation will be electric. That in itself may make the Up GTi more desirable.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I do think it will become a classic, but not for some years yet. I would estimate that it will be similar to the Lupo Gti and Golf Gti, around 15 years minimum.
As for the younger generation not being interested in cars, then yes, it may be going that way, but you only have to attend the classic car shows and see the amont of young guys lusting after the cars of yesterday , and the hordes of mid twenties to mid thirties guys with hot hatches like Focus's, late Fiestas, early Golf Gti's and the like, and I think there'll always be a strong following for guys that want a car that was popular when they were kids.
It's niche, yes, but it's also all about nostalgia, and just like I go for cars that I yearned for in the 60's & 70's, the kids of today will always go for todays exciting cars when they get a bit older and can afford it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I run a Classic VW club and currently have a 30yr old Jetta but as said before by someone, I yearned after cars I could not afford in my youth.

I have now had a good few Mk1 Golfs and a Corrado and fast forward 15yrs plus and the same demand will be starting with the we Up, with people a good few years younger than myself.

Mine has been bought for my lad for when he gets his first car and I use it just now as a toy but if it does not go to him for Insurance or some other reasons, then I hope to hang onto it as its a great value wee toy and its value will plateau in a few years.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi Massbad69,
sounds like the way my tribe have gone. Mk1 gti,Corrado and now the Up GTI.

61 - 80 of 124 Posts