Up Owners Club banner

81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
I honestly don't really bother with GTI residuals, in reality it is a cheap car and even if its worth £6K after 3 years then that is cheap motoring. Probably why I will keep it as will owe me nothing.

You are always going to get rinsed with WBAC or trade in values and the issue with selling privately is the amount of people who like to finance or PCP.

·
Registered
451 Posts
For anyone still looking for a Up Gti, there"s a magnificent standard Tungsten Silver 3dr for sale, here in Llandudno.
Its on a 68 plate, but its in pristine condition, so good in fact, that if they had taken the plate off, and the cars were still in production, you would have said it had just arrived from the factory.

They want £12750, but i recon if you were prepared to haggle, there's a discount on that price.

It has just over 10000 on the clock.

They told me, there had been interest in the car, but being so close to Christmas, i recon people are counting the pennies.

Even so, there were two people sitting down signing paperwork for new factory cars, so business must be brisk.

The car was so clean, that had i not bought my Gti last March, i would have contemplated buying it, there was not a single blemish on the paintwork.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I certainly would not pay that money for a 10000 mile car,would definitely haggle to get a decent discount.

·
Registered
451 Posts
It's just an indication of the inflated prices being asked by main dealers.
An Up Gti being sold privately is quite a rare commodity, so if you want to buy one, your only option is to obtain one from the main dealer, hence the inflated prices.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I can see the headlines now “VW dealer tries it on with initially inflated price on relatively rare car in desirable colour with desirable gti badge shocker“ 😋 but actually starting at that price and ultimately letting it go for £12k after negotiation when a private seller/buyer might settle for £10,500 ish for similar, that’s just normal dealer mark-up right? Especially as there’s minimal supply. Nothing unusual at all.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
We sold our pristine 2018 five door for £11,800
It had the panoramic roof and cruise-park pack.
Mileage was 6,000
It was advertised on this forum for a while at offers over £11,000 and had not a nibble.

Meanwhile, people were joining the forum wanting a GTi and were spanking up to £15,000 on new ones at inflated dealer prices

I never understood the logic of that, after all ours still had two years manufacturer warranty on it, so there was no risk at all.

And it was absolutely pristine with not a stone chip or mark inside or out.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Meanwhile, people were joining the forum wanting a GTi and were spanking up to £15,000 on new ones at inflated dealer prices

I never understood the logic of that, after all ours still had two years manufacturer warranty on it, so there was no risk at all.
Likely finance and/or ease of trading in a current vehicle.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Yes probably, l never thought of that.

Dealers sometimes do cheap or interest free finance.
And some people don’t like the hassle of selling a car as well as the fact that they could be without a car at all if it sells before the new one arrives.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Popped into my local stealers and was told they would buy back my UP GTi for what I pair £14.5k mine is a fully loaded white 3 door.

Go on VW and cars now fetching £17.5k at the end of the day its supply and demand and if people are willing to pay then the price will creep up.

I will be keeping mine another 14mths and then it will be chopped in

·
Registered
898 Posts
That car at £17.5k has to be a joke. 2000 miles and not a single option, even the black roof.

Values certainly look a lot better now than they did a few months ago. Mine is a year old, 3500 miles and all the desirable options, and it looks like I could sell it for around what I paid for it. That is if they’re going for what they’re being advertised at of course!

·
Registered
12 Posts
That car at £17.5k has to be a joke. 2000 miles and not a single option, even the black roof.

Values certainly look a lot better now than they did a few months ago. Mine is a year old, 3500 miles and all the desirable options, and it looks like I could sell it for around what I paid for it. That is if they’re going for what they’re being advertised at of course!
When I looked the other day there where 4 at £17,500 I think the values will stay good for a while

·
Registered
122 Posts
Popped into my local stealers and was told they would buy back my UP GTi for what I pair £14.5k mine is a fully loaded white 3 door.

Go on VW and cars now fetching £17.5k at the end of the day its supply and demand and if people are willing to pay then the price will creep up.

I will be keeping mine another 14mths and then it will be chopped in
Just to be clear the dealer offered to take your GTI back off you for the price you paid for it of £14.5K ?.My car is a 3 door in silver at almost the same cost price.

81 - 100 of 113 Posts