Up Owners Club banner

121 - 140 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
I am still confused and trying to work out what made WBAC up their offer from £9125 to £10,500,
We all know £9125 is not a fair or realistic offer, considering the mark up on value at main dealerships.
The offer of £10,500 is more realistic, with the car probably being advertised at closer to £14,000 or there abouts.
Numbers of mint clean examples are now getting rarer, and dealers only offer customers a good valuation if there's demand for low mileage examples.

Obviously demand must be far exceeding supply, and I am just relieved I am not thinking of selling the car.

I was just testing the second hand value of the Up Gti, and by the looks of things it's quite buoyant, demand must be high and supply extremely low.

Let's hope that situation continues.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Well, if the car is going back on sale then the situation should improve.
I just checked on WBAC and our recently sold five door (based on 6,000 miles) is currently valued at £9640
Which is better than last time l checked.
But it’s still low, if the dealers are selling them at £14,000+

·
Registered
453 Posts
Don’t swap after two years, you are just wasting money as the car will still be like new.
Why replace it?
I quite agree, changing a car that is still within the manufacturer's warranty, makes little sense, unless the deal to change vehicles is a sweet one.
The only people who stand to gain anything, is the dealership, who will be able to sell your car at a high asking price.

We all get carried away, and lured by the charms of a lovely new model, but like a total MUPPET, i swapped my mint low mileage A1 for a brand new Move Up.
It was a direct swap, no money swapped hands, a direct exchange of my 25month old A1 for a brand new Move Up in metallic blue.

The deal was a decent one, a brand new car for my Audi, but the depreciation i suffered on the Audi was significant.
I knew the mark up on my Audi would be substantial, but i was happy with the deal, and the Move Up has been a great little car, ever so reliable, good on fuel, and maintaining it over the long term will be significantly cheaper than the Audi.
Why not the cost to change is cheaper for me at two years rather than three given I own it and it is my money to waste.

·
Registered
145 Posts
According to WBAC on the 9th December My GTI was worth £9165 and as of today has gone up to £9680.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The car resale should increase as the new ones to come out will be priced higher and should affect all values?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Will be interesting to see what happens to the p/ex' values of our GTI's once the mk2 GTI's come on stream.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Guaranteed, dealers or internet companies will still undervalue the Up GTi, classing it as merely another Up.
Its such a low volume production model, that due to the numbers registered from early 2018 to the present, few dealerships have any experience in selling one.

What's the point in explaining to a dealer, that you paid in excess of £13 to £14k for your car, less than a year ago.
All they will say, is that the market dictates the value of your Up, at around £9300 or there about.

We see the Up GTI as something special, special enough to justify paying over the odds for one, but dealers see it as just a Vw Up, and value it accordingly.

I cannot see the situation changing, our cars will still be valued against ordinary Vw Ups of similar age and value.

If we want to get a true value for our cars, always sell it privately, and just hope we find a buyer as passionate about the UP Gti as we are.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
That’s exactly what we did and ours went for £11,800 a few months ago.

The buyer (a genuine car enthusiast) got a bargain as that was £2,000+ under dealer prices but it was also around £2,500 over what we were being offered.

l think prices will remain stable and used values won’t go down very much once the car goes back on sale.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have an up beats 90ps to sell. There are 6 for sale on autotrader only. 600 people viewed the add on this forum. Only one person expressed interest but didnt turn up to view despite living close by. They would be saving over a grand buying privately. You can lead a horse to water.....

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Yes l know the feeling l listed our pristine 6,000 mile five door GTi (with cruise/park and panoramic sunroof) on here for £11,800 and got no response at all.
This was despite similar cars selling at dealers for up to £15,000.
After a few weeks l reduced it to “offers over £11,000” and still nothing.

As the Up comes with a three year warranty there would be none of the usual risks with a private sale.

l think it’s because people want to buy on dealer finance or PCP, often with a part exchange, and don’t really want to have to sell their old car and take out a bank loan for £12,000.

·
Registered
468 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yep similar with me. Trying to sell my mint 4k miles GTI from new on ebay and had 1,000's of views and watchers but not even a tyre kicker has come knocking. Also I've had massive DIFFERENT trade in values from 9,000 - 11500! really? for a Cooper S. It was the last time I looked the cheapest out there, but I think nobody buys private anymore, unless its given away or it is something nobody can get as had a Suzuki Jimny on my drive for 3 hours only and sold for 4k over list last Feb). Think I'll just need to VT it back to VWFS once I've paid over half its value, so another year running it, not that it's a hardship, just surprised of zero interest.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The Suzuki Jimmy is going to become even rarer next year when Suzuki stop selling them.
Stop selling them? that's even madder than VW stopping selling the Up GTI when they couldn't keep up with demand, they cant make the Jimny fast enough for worldwide demand and theirs a massive waiting time in the UK before you could get your hands on one, as has been said you could get a one new and instantly make thousands selling it on second hand.
Why spend a fortune developing the first new jimny in decades then stop selling a roaring success? The only down side for me in the new Jimny is they didn't offer the very economical hybrid that you can get the Swift 4x4.

·
Registered
589 Posts
This afternoon, I received an email from OrangeWheels, the company that has a significant number of VW main dealers on their books.

Nobody should be paying the huge price increase recently announced for the Gti.
I imputed my details, and a car identical to mine, 3dr Pure White, with no options, can be bought for £15150 and £15300.

Both these quotes were provided by dealerships in a sensible distance from home.

CarWoW also came back with similar quotes.

What's is clear, is that residual values for the original cars will probably remain poor, but as the quotes provided by OrangeWheels and Carwow, are from main dealers, getting hold of the latest 2020 Gti should not cost new owners as much as they

·
Registered
145 Posts
The Jimny is being axed due to its high CO 2 output,why didn’t Suzuki think of that when they were developing the vehicle ?.

·
Super Moderator
3,143 Posts
Just traded my 6/12 gti 3 dr with beats and tungsten paint....got 12k£ from dealer ....can’t really complain at that. (Long standing relationship with them) they reckon will retail it at 13499. Oh, and it does have4 brand new tyres !!!!!!!! (see other posts ha ha ha)

·
Super Moderator
3,143 Posts
The Jimny is being axed due to its high CO 2 output,why didn’t Suzuki think of that when they were developing the vehicle ?.
if ever a vehicle was crying out for a small torquey diesel, it’s a jimny......trick missed!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Again going back to my earlier post why didn't they put in the very economical hybrid as surely that would have sorted the CO2? nobody buys the Jimny as a performance car. Motor manufacturers baffle me continuously.

121 - 140 of 147 Posts