Up Owners Club banner

141 - 147 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
if ever a vehicle was crying out for a small torquey diesel, it’s a jimny......trick missed!
Unfortunately the middle class doo gooding eco freaks have wrongly deemed diesel as public enemy No1 and the out of touch politicians have eagerly joined the band wagon leaving car manufacturers binning them left right and centre..

·
Registered
957 Posts
Again going back to my earlier post why didn't they put in the very economical hybrid as surely that would have sorted the CO2? nobody buys the Jimny as a performance car. Motor manufacturers baffle me continuously.
The engine from the SSS would have been ideal in it. I think the new CO2 rules will leave manufacturers like Suzuki, Subaru etc. in a difficult position in the UK.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Unfortunately the middle class doo gooding eco freaks have wrongly deemed diesel as public enemy No1 and the out of touch politicians have eagerly joined the band wagon leaving car manufacturers binning them left right and centre..
To be fair most people I know turned away from diesels for daily's due to DPF issues on short trips.

I wouldn't have one for my local drive again for that reason!

·
Registered
589 Posts
I would still buy another diesel, and regarding the Particulate filter, all the driver has to do, is drive along a dual carriageway or similar fast road for around twenty minutes, and the filter will automatically clean itself, that's not a difficult thing to do, but quite a few diesel owners with fitted DPF filters, forget to do this.

Its owners of diesels who do very short, stop start type of journey's where the engine does not really get to its correct operating temperatures, their the ones who usually get particulate filter blockage and damage.

Anyway, diesel engines are more suited to longer distances, where their superior efficiency over a petrol comes into play, their certainly not ideal if the driver only does short distances.

The thing that the Gov and anti diesel lobby, want to forget, is that a diesel engine produces less CO2 than a petrol engine.

Engine components of a diesel usually last significantly longer than a similar capacity petrol engine.

Their only downside, is their far more expensive to produce.

The main issue is all of the particulates being thrown out of poorly maintained vehicles, especially in the large cities, where traffic moves at a snails pace, and both petrol and diesel fumes pollute the environment.

Ive owned several diesels over the years, and i would buy one again, except that this Gov and other ill advised pressure groups are anti diesel.

My A1 was a diesel, and it was beautifully refined, but more suited to longer distances.

Those who do short distances, or travel a short distance to work, are more suited to a petrol vehicle

Some of the latest EU6 diesel engines, with their very high tec particulate filters, are just as clean as their petrol neighbours.

In the right circumstances, owning and running a diesel makes more financial sense, except that the ill informed public have been fed the wrong information by the green lobby and the Gov

·
Registered
178 Posts
To be fair most people I know turned away from diesels for daily's due to DPF issues on short trips.

I wouldn't have one for my local drive again for that reason!
Sadly Ditched our POLO TDI bluemotion ( and 74mpg + ) for this very reason.

141 - 147 of 147 Posts