Up Owners Club banner

161 - 180 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Next month,on March 10, the Gti is having a full service, whether it needs it or not.
Oil, both filters, plugs, and any other necessary top ups.
It may be excessive for a car that gets little use, but its having the star treatment, and both parts and labour, still come to less than £120.

All Vw would do, is change the oil and filter, and charge a Kings ransom for the pleasure.
If you ever want to sell this car please PM me. It must be most loved and least abused UP GTI in the world! Is your wife/partner jealous?

What are peoples thoughts on selling a one owner second hand car that has been remapped? Should you disclose it or not? Legally where do you stand? Anyone any thoughts?

·
Registered
98 Posts
What are peoples thoughts on selling a one owner second hand car that has been remapped? Should you disclose it or not? Legally where do you stand? Anyone any thoughts?
No surprise that he's doing his own servicing, one way to avoid the TD1 flag is to never take it to a VW dealer for service

·
Banned
645 Posts
The way i see it, is that the Gti is an enthusiasts car, and due to their relatively high second hand values on the open market, your average city car owner, would probably buy a new basic car, for the same money.

I may be wrong, but the sort of person investing in a low mileage mint example, would not really mind the remapping, as long as the car came with the receipts and documentation to prove that the company responsible for the change, was reputable and trustworthy.

An UP Gti with 140+ hp, is a lot more exciting to drive, than a standard car, and the remapping has not changed the driving behaviour of the car.

Most people sitting behind the wheel of my car for the first time, would have no idea its been remapped, unless they had another car to compare it with, and even then, the extra power is not that excessive.

Driven normally, it still feels like the car i took ownership of last year, but a fair bit quicker, when it is asked to do things.
That extra performance just lifts the car to another level of enjoyment, you have the option of driving it normally, or driving it fast.

Most potential owners, look at the condition of the car, and its service record, whether its been remapped, well to some customers, thats an extra bonus.

·
Banned
645 Posts
No surprise that he's doing his own servicing, one way to avoid the TD1 flag is to never take it to a VW dealer for service
There's a service and a service.
All Volkswagen would do to my car, is change the oil and filter, and charge me £174 for the pleasure.
Whether the car needs it or not, my pride and joy, is getting the premium package.

Both filters, the oil and air filter are being changed, and instead of the paper element, a new Pipercross filter is being installed.
Maybe the Bosch Platinum plugs will get changed as well, but firstly i will have the current ones examined to see their condition first.

The cars done such a small annual mileage, that i recon the plugs will be in excellent condition, but if i am not happy, they will be swapped with new ones.

All the extra work and changing of parts is unnecessary i know, but even with the cost of all the parts and the labour, it still undercuts Vw by some margin.

I still have all the receipts for these parts, so some may dislike the remapping, but there will be few Gtis on the road as well maintained or well loked after as mine.

I am keeping the car for the long term, and i intend looking after it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
The piper cross filter is a great addition to a JSB spec car as it has filtration rate of around 75% ( oil will get dirty quickly) compared to 99.5% for the OEM paper ( IS0 5011 test) plus you’ll gain at least 0.01 bhp !
I paid £159 for two years servicing at our wonderful sytner VW dealer in junction.
They use the recommended spec oil ( worth thinking about that one) and quality filter plus give the car a visual inspection and send you a video of the whole process. So for me it’s good value.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Agree on the air filter. Pipercross are poor compared with the OE paper one. been proved often.
I have just booked my first service for late March, together with my wife's Tsi's second service (which includes the pollen filter), for £99.99 each at a VW Main Dealer, where we bought both cars from.
They use the recommended oil, and pukka OE oil & air & pollen filters. If you're being quoted £174 for your first service, then that's poor . I've only gone to the original dealer this time as my local VW Dealer quoted me £120 each for both cars earlier this week.

·
Registered
162 Posts
There's a service and a service.
All Volkswagen would do to my car, is change the oil and filter, and charge me £174 for the pleasure.
Whether the car needs it or not, my pride and joy, is getting the premium package.

Both filters, the oil and air filter are being changed, and instead of the paper element, a new Pipercross filter is being installed.
Maybe the Bosch Platinum plugs will get changed as well, but firstly i will have the current ones examined to see their condition first.

The cars done such a small annual mileage, that i recon the plugs will be in excellent condition, but if i am not happy, they will be swapped with new ones.

All the extra work and changing of parts is unnecessary i know, but even with the cost of all the parts and the labour, it still undercuts Vw by some margin.

I still have all the receipts for these parts, so some may dislike the remapping, but there will be few Gtis on the road as well maintained or well loked after as mine.

I am keeping the car for the long term, and i intend looking after it.
It’s 2020, not 1974.

A manufacturer approved dealer service of an inspection and an oil and filter change is all it takes not only to keep a modern petrol engine in good condition, but also to satisfy the expectations of a prospective purchaser, and to keep your service record up to date.

Taking your almost new car to Daffyd Jones and Sons for it’s first service to save £70 compared with main dealer prices will have no effect other than devaluing your vehicle, period. Provided there is a credible service history, receipts for spark plugs and filters are of no interest whatsoever to a prospective buyer of a city car in 2020.

For the all inclusive price of £50 which you seem particularly pleased with, will Daffyd Jones and Sons implement all of the checks, recalls and precautions that may apply to your vehicle when it becomes due for a service ?

A comprehensive main dealer service history record would satisfy anyone that such checks and if neccesary remedial work has been carried out in line with the manufacturers latest recommendations and with full technical support and backup.

Just out of curiosity, what will you do to prove that your car has been “serviced” in line with the manufacturers guidelines, make a DIY service book complete with your dogs paw prints as service stamps perhaps ?

I would suggest that the vast majority of people looking to purchase a used car would expect that, at least until the end of the warranty period, a car would be supplied with a comprehensive main dealer service history, and anything else would surely arouse suspicion of either an absolute cheapskate, or perhaps something more sinister.

Having said that, your car is now void of its warranty anyway, so yeah, why not go ahead ...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Daffy Jones & son ! Pmsl ?

·
Banned
645 Posts
I much prefer the services of a small independent garage, who never questions my changing of parts, that most owners will leave under the bonnet, until they think they need changing.

Also, due to the low mileage of my car, I've no idea if the oil is part of a long life service interval, or to be changed annually.

The service reminder has still to appear on the dashboard of my Move Up, and that car is now nearly two years old, with just over 8000 miles on its clock.

That car was serviced by me, last April. but no service reminder has appeared to say it needs doing.

Using an independent garage allows the owner to choose exactly when the car is serviced, and what parts are used.
All the parts being used are genuine VW, and Mobil 1 does conform with the VW viscosity recommendations.

I simply do not like getting ripped off by main dealers, and paying their excessive labour charges.

At least I know the servicing of my car is done correctly, and at a fair price.

·
Banned
645 Posts
It’s 2020, not 1974.

A manufacturer approved dealer service of an inspection and an oil and filter change is all it takes not only to keep a modern petrol engine in good condition, but also to satisfy the expectations of a prospective purchaser, and to keep your service record up to date.

Taking your almost new car to Daffyd Jones and Sons for it’s first service to save £70 compared with main dealer prices will have no effect other than devaluing your vehicle, period. Provided there is a credible service history, receipts for spark plugs and filters are of no interest whatsoever to a prospective buyer of a city car in 2020.

For the all inclusive price of £50 which you seem particularly pleased with, will Daffyd Jones and Sons implement all of the checks, recalls and precautions that may apply to your vehicle when it becomes due for a service ?

A comprehensive main dealer service history record would satisfy anyone that such checks and if neccesary remedial work has been carried out in line with the manufacturers latest recommendations and with full technical support and backup.

Just out of curiosity, what will you do to prove that your car has been “serviced” in line with the manufacturers guidelines, make a DIY service book complete with your dogs paw prints as service stamps perhaps ?

I would suggest that the vast majority of people looking to purchase a used car would expect that, at least until the end of the warranty period, a car would be supplied with a comprehensive main dealer service history, and anything else would surely arouse suspicion of either an absolute cheapskate, or perhaps something more sinister.

Having said that, your car is now void of its warranty anyway, so yeah, why not go ahead ...
It does not matter this time, about a service record, as I have no intention of selling the car for some years.

The important thing, is that I know the servicing has been done correctly, using genuine parts, and if the reliability record of all the previous VWs I've owned, is anything to go by, the car should be a dream to own.

·
Banned
645 Posts
Does anyone know how WBAC value customers vehicles.
This morning they have increased their offer for my Gti, to £11,825, that's an increase of nearly £300.

Do market values differ around the country, or does the company just gauge the vehicle, model, mileage and condition, and then work out a valuation from there.

Possibly due to so few second hand examples currently available, offers must be favourable for low mileage examples

·
Registered
169 Posts
So your GTI worth is worth 2 grand more than mine ?,that is insane.Car Wow has mine up at £11000.As I say,where do they get these figures from?.

·
Registered
262 Posts
LDB's car is Very Special.
It has its own double bed and has Castrol GTX massaged into its cylinder head every night.
It sits on axle stands so the tyre rubber doesn't get squashed and he's set up a private WiFi network for it in the bedroom.

·
Banned
645 Posts
No quite, but it goes out around three times a month, during the winter,and like all my cars, are maintained and looked after exceptionally well.
The Alloy wheels on both the Ups, are cleaned and rewaxed every fortnight, after all alloys do not look after themselves, and tyre pressure checked on a regular basis.

Ive always maintained my cars to a high level, their expensive purchases, so should be looked after.

As for WBAC valuation, they gave me a valuation of just under £11,500 for it three weeks ago, and like anyone who has used their website, they send email reminders, for interested parties to revalue their vehicle.

All i can think, is that there is a very short supply of Up Gtis here in Wales, hence their increased interest.

No car internet company would give such a valuation unless they were pretty confident they could get the car sold quickly, at a higher asking price.

Still, its a loss of well over £2000 from when new, and no doubt, if Vw had not increased their reintroduction new car pricing, then my car would be worth considerably less.

WBAC only offer a fair market valuation, on a cars over all condition and current mileage.

If others here, are receiving lower offers for their cars, then its not a true reflection of their cars true market value.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Out of curiosity I put My car details in WBAC but this time with a N Wales post code which was LL31,but the exact same price came back.So it cannot be the postcode that affects the price.

·
Banned
645 Posts
That's certainly interesting to know.
I recon it must be the demand and supply of the Gti, in Wales.

My friend, who lives just outside Caerphilly, in South Wales, and works in Canton in Cardiff, has only seen three of them, since they were originally released in 2018, and he is a VW petrolhead, and knows his VWs.

He told me, that he sees quite a lot of TSi models, in and around Cardiff, but the Gti is a rare car.

Ive only seen seven of them myself, and three of those were visitors to the area, as they had English dealer plates.

Its such a rare vehicle, that demand must still be very high, for clean low mileage examples, and currently there are very few second hand examples for sale.

·
Registered
183 Posts
?

·
Registered
162 Posts
That's certainly interesting to know.
I recon it must be the demand and supply of the Gti, in Wales.

My friend, who lives just outside Caerphilly, in South Wales, and works in Canton in Cardiff, has only seen three of them, since they were originally released in 2018, and he is a VW petrolhead, and knows his VWs.

He told me, that he sees quite a lot of TSi models, in and around Cardiff, but the Gti is a rare car.

Ive only seen seven of them myself, and three of those were visitors to the area, as they had English dealer plates.

Its such a rare vehicle, that demand must still be very high, for clean low mileage examples, and currently there are very few second hand examples for sale.
Another great, action packed, factual story. Keep them coming ! :ROFLMAO:

Another new one on me ... I really didn’t know that those who permanently reside in North Wales are only allowed to drive cars originally registered by a local dealer !

All those pesky English visitors eh !

·
Banned
645 Posts
This Gti is a very rare vehicle, here in Wales.
Recently I've been travelling in and around Chester, and Birkenhead, helping out a friend, whose car is off the road.

Since Thursday, I've become a mobile taxi service, and even though city cars make up a small percentage of cars on the A55 and M56, I've still yet to see an Up Gti.

I've seen quite a few 19 plate Golf Gtis, but not a single Up version.

Most of the cars sold, must be in the Midlands and SE of the country.

I've seen more Ferraris and prestige Rolls Royces, than the tiny UP Gti

That's how rare it is

161 - 180 of 202 Posts